Back in the saddle..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Back in the saddle..

or at least another kind of saddle .

Hello folks! I'm new to mtbr.com but not really new to riding bikes in general. I've been lurking for months researching after a friend introduced me to your site so I thought I'd drop a line finally .

I've been rolling on a roadie for over 10 years. I also used to race BMX when I was younger and have ridden MTBs in the (way, way) past. Recently I have decided to cross back over to the dirt side. I have done numerous TTs, tours, century, etc. rides on my roadie so I'm not really a newbie per se but with all the new types of MTBs out there, I feel like a total newbie...

I gotta say that A TON of stuff has changed in MTBing since I last picked up a dirt ride. My last rig was a heavy arse brick of bike; a GT Timber(?) that I inherited from my brother. Nothing special, just a bike, wheels and pedals. The last few months have been spent looking at the LBS and online for a new bike and the choices y'all got now is mind boggling. FS, hard tail, DH, 29er... the list goes on and on. I finally settled on a hard tail 29er after several test rides (at LBS as well as friends bikes) and hours of research.

Anyways, I'm excited to be back on the other side and look forward to a change of pace/riding. My 29er arrives this THU and I can't wait to tear up some trails with her .

mtbr rememberer
    this thread is worthless without pics

welcome

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    pics to come when I actually have the bike delivered .

mtbr member
    ...and once it's delivered, you won't need any prompting to get out there and ride it, right? Of course.

So go ride it and tell us about the new rig in "Passion" forum, after.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It came today!!! My entry 29er... not the best bike but a heck of an entry bike . It came about an hour before I had to get ready for work so I slapped it together real quick for a short ride in the cul de sac and man I can't wait to get home tonight to tweak it!!

mtbr member
    Very nice. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    run that front brake housing inside the fork to avoid it getting snagged on anything. Zip tie it to the fork. Saddle height looks a little low too, might look into getting fit for the bike.

now go have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Mount Dora Cycles: thanks for the fork suggestion. The saddle was a little low since I slapped it together for a quick run and I've adjusted that and the hs stack.

I stayed up late last night doing some tweaks and adjustments. Couldn't sleep sound all night and woke up early to try and squeeze a ride in (felt like a kid with a new toy all over again ). Removed a few goober stickers and the dork disk.. Noticed that the rear brake cable was excessively long so I gotta fix that later (self note, buy bleeder kit..). Made some minor sizing adjustments but was slightly hunch over and noticed the stem length was a whopping 110mm. That's way to long for me so I'll have to be on a look out for 90mm. Pumped the tires up to 30psi and off I went .

The first thing I noticed was that this thing felt sluggish but visually it seemed like I was moving at a pretty good pace for a MTB. Guess I've been spoiled with a road bike (speed-wise) for too long.. Gears were shifting beautifully (after a lot of tweaking last night and youtube ).

Finally got to the local wildlife park/trail and took it off the paved MUT/road and onto the parallel dirt trail. After a few minutes realized that I may need some new tires. These small block 8s were all over the loose dirt. I also gotta get used to these disk brakes... they stop you super quick!! I almost flew over the bars a few times or skidded abruptly.. I guess they do what they're design to do .

I started bunny hopping a few bumps and what not. This thing was surprisingly nimble/light for such a big bike. I then proceeded back onto the paved road to try out the shock lock-out feature.. nice... . and then it happened.. I noticed a couple of ladies walking their dogs on the road so me being a knucklehead with a new toy decides to try and bunny hop back onto the dirt trail (a 2ft patch of grass/weed/veggies seperates the two and about a 12-24" drop in height at that point). My adrenaline was pumping as I took the hop/jump (haven't done something like this since my BMX days), forgot that I was 37 and not as coordinated as I once was on the dirt. The flight went fine for a few secs until I felt my feet kinda slip off my spiked platforms. I landed kinda sideways and my rear banged onto the saddle. End result?

This was the result after I took a few moments to check the body parts and bend it back to resemble a saddle again . Other than that.... it was an awesome feelin' being a kid again!!!! I forgot how much fun it was to ride in the dirt! Kinda bummed that I gotta get a new saddle (was gonna get one anyways in the next few days) but that's the price of being a knucklehead huh??

I did continue on (with the saddle in that deformed shape) up/down a few more hills before calling it a day (didn't want to push my luck) and made a few additional mental notes:

- hands was a little fatigued in those 30 minutes or so with the OE grips. Is this normal for MTB riding? Gonna look into those Ergon grips I keep reading about.

- gotta look into getting some clipless so my feet aren't sliding around when I'm slightly airborne .

- is this not the right kind of bike for getting a little air? should I just ride with the rubber side down as much as possible and not take the risk it it's not designed for that at all?

All in all it was a blast!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hands get numb more from the "death grip" than anything else. Improper fit is also a cause so once again I suggest spending a little money at a LBS for a quick fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

Members who have read this thread: 0