Any reason I should not buy this?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    260

    New question here. Any reason I should not buy this?

    Sette Reken:
    Sette Reken Deore Alloy Mountain Bike at Price Point

    Hello everyone,

    I've been on here several times the last week, or so, asking for advice on buying my first 'real' bike. I appreciate everyone's input, so far. No one pointed me to this particular bike, but a couple individuals led me to it, inadvertantly...

    The cap of my price range is $700 and this bike would come to my door for around $650. I like the component set and I think it's about as good as I can get in my price range, but I want to make sure no one has any really ill words about it before I pull the trigger. I could not find much info about the bike, but read a lot of really good reviews for the frame.

    So, let me know what you think, please. I was looking at the Mottobecane 700HT, Nashbar AT-3 and a couple others. The only 'name brands' I was really considering was the Cannondale Trail 5 and Giant Revel 0.

    Thanks in advance-

    J.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    204
    Looks like a deal! And you stayed below your budget!
    I don't see a reason why you shouldn't buy buy it

  3. #3
    better than I deserve
    Reputation: roblee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    478
    I think that`s a really good bike for the money.Most of the bikes I see in shops I think are overpriced for what you get.The color is cool also.Solid parts group,name brand stuff,affordable ,buy it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripp88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    287
    Looks reasonable to me!


    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?m03wua
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

  5. #5
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,749
    That really is pretty decent. Be sure to post pictures when you get it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    100
    I'm a noob so take it for what it's worth, but that bike has solid components. I would also look at the airborne guardian so you can compare the two because they are about the same price. I ended up getting the 2011 GT Karakoram 2.0 29er for $520 plus shipping and tax (only in CA) from blueskycycling.com. It will be arriving today and I will post a detailed post on it on my thoughts.

    Goodluck!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    141
    Tough one. At your budget it looks very good. Sadly it seems there is always a much better bike 100 above your budget.

    If you are not confident in your abilities to wrench the Revel 0 is close enough. Not sure on the Cannondale though have never rode one.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,545
    to throw another horse in.

    when you factor in tax and shipping, I think bikesdirect might have the edge $800 better value sweet spot imho. . Sette has avid hydraulics vs BD has tektro hmmm.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Front Suspension Gravity BaseCamp 3.0

    It comes with a reba fork. but

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215
    That is a nice looking bike....

    It really seems like a great deal at that price..

    I'd get that actually....nice bike.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    260
    Thanks for the words everyone!

    I've made the order and I'm sure I will love the bike. It was nerve wrecking going through the process of looking. There are two many choices!

    In the end, I set a firm price that I was not going to go over and had some specks made up in my mind (26er, 27speed, hydraulic disc preferred, etc...) that helped me narrow things down.

    I'll post pics when I get it. Thanks!

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeljack View Post
    . There are two many choices!
    You're tellin me lol.

    I ride a Diamondback and it is a good bike no matter who says what. However she is showing age now and instead of fixing it back up fo rmega bucks I am going to do my homework and get a new bike that is lighter and better components. My budget will be around 1,500, no more.

    What I do is look on here for what people like and threads like this.

    This Sette you are getting is now on my future "might" get list.

    I like that bike....the components and the looks are nice....Love that burnt orange or whatever it is. One thing I wonder about is the fit...How can you know it will be right? You might hate it once you take a ride. Thought it is hard to test ride each bike, because there are so many. Around here everyone rides Specialized or Haro....because that is what the dealers have.... I'm different....I don't want a cookie cutter bike and lean towards the lesser know bikes.

    I love the WTH is that, factor lol.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,545
    If you want to learn how to really build a bike, get the cheapest bike with a reba fork. Then buy the chinese carbon frame, which I think is going for around $400 shipped, and move all the components over.

    Here's the 29-inch version of this . Pay for a custom paint job like many in the thread have.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ch...40919-123.html

    You can't get more unique than this.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    20
    My friend bought one as his first bike. Really solid bike and definitely a deal. Just make sure when you get it to check over everything; my friends came and he put the fork on backwards (or it came that way...I didn't see it until after he put it together so not really sure how it came) and the rear brake needed to be bled. If you aren't comfortable with checking for stuff like this, have a knowledgeable friend check or factor in the money to bring it to a LBS.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingAround View Post

    One thing I wonder about is the fit...How can you know it will be right? You might hate it once you take a ride. Thought it is hard to test ride each bike, because there are so many. Around here everyone rides Specialized or Haro....because that is what the dealers have.... I'm different....I don't want a cookie cutter bike and lean towards the lesser know bikes.

    I love the WTH is that, factor lol.
    Most guys around here seem to ride Specialized. I don't want a cookie cutter either

    As far as fit, well, I am taking a gamble, but it's a calculated one. I measured the bike against a Cannondale I already rode and know I like. I also measured it against my current bike.

    Lol, honestly, I will be moving up from a 14 year old Mongoose. That's what I'm used to. Something tells me I will love the new bike because I got nowhere to go, but up!

    I'll post pics and provide a review once she comes in...

    Thanks again everyone!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by mallen640 View Post
    My friend bought one as his first bike. Really solid bike and definitely a deal. Just make sure when you get it to check over everything; my friends came and he put the fork on backwards (or it came that way...I didn't see it until after he put it together so not really sure how it came) and the rear brake needed to be bled. If you aren't comfortable with checking for stuff like this, have a knowledgeable friend check or factor in the money to bring it to a LBS.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty comfortable doing my own wrenching. Anything I question I will get advice for and there are tons of great tips, articles, info here plus other places.

    I bought my current bike used and it would not shift into one set of gears. I looked up a video on youtube on how to fix it, took my ipod touch outside with me and made the adjustments as I watched the video. I embrace the information highway

  16. #16
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,731
    If you compared the specs to bikes that fit you then you will love the bike. Deore works very well and you got a well speced bike below your budget so you can buy an accessory or two if you need to. That looks like a fantastic bike for the money. I can't wait to see a ride report when you get it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eric Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,496
    Not bad at all. Enjoy!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nikojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    558
    No reason other than the ugly frame color. But thats nothing $20's of paint and 89 cent decals cant fix
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

    Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

  19. #19
    haylo921
    Guest
    I need help also, but since I am new to this forum it won't let me start a new thread!

    I have a mountain bike, but it's a cheapy little walmart one and every little gear change and pedal is a workout, I am afriad the bike may fall apart ha ha. Anyway I am looking at getting an upgrade. Nothing to expensive since I am just starting out. I am about 5'8 female, from what I have been told I have a long torso which is where my height comes from. The 3 bikes I am looking at are:
    1) Raleigh Eva 4.0 for $499 this bike seemed to fit me well from the start, of course I have to raise the seat but that's nothing major
    2) Jamis Trail x2 : 2011 version $420
    3) Specialized Myka HT :2012 $475

    all of them have disc brakes, obviously the Jamis is the best priced an it felt nice but I didn't feel like the gears changed as smoothly as they did on the Raleigh.

  20. #20
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,887
    In one sense the Sette could very much be considered a cookie cutter type bike. Companies like Price Point select a frame from the catalogue of a frame maker, and then have their decals applied. Granted, there will be more Specialized bikes on the trails, but the Sette is a generic frame with Price Point's house brand name on it.

    On the trail though, absolutely none of that matters.

    A friend of mine built up a Sette Reken a couple years ago. Decent frame for an entry level bike, and the parts that one comes with make it a very solid value.

    On bikes with what is known as 'compact geometry', frames can fit a wide variety of body types if the top length is appropriate and the Reken is of the compact geometry type (sloping top tube). If you know what length top tube suits you best, you could probably make a good decision on what size Reken will fit you.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    No reason other than the ugly frame color. But thats nothing $20's of paint and 89 cent decals cant fix
    Awesomeness is apparently in the eye of the beholder... I love the color. It actually helped tip the decision. Go figure!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    In one sense the Sette could very much be considered a cookie cutter type bike. Companies like Price Point select a frame from the catalogue of a frame maker, and then have their decals applied. Granted, there will be more Specialized bikes on the trails, but the Sette is a generic frame with Price Point's house brand name on it.
    Yeah, I get your point, and it's a good one. My comment was coming more from the point of searching for something that is a quality product (at least in my eyes) and that will stand out somewhat from the 'typical' bike that I see on the trails around me. I don't need to make a statement, but I also don't want to see 20 other people driving 'my bike' by me on the trail...

    I tried out like 15 different brands/models at the bike shops around me. I liked several of them. I liked 3-4 well enough to buy. In the end, when comparing components, pound for pound, I feel the 'name brand' guys need to start taking up the slack. The cost of a name should only go so far, really...

    Thanks for the input-

    J.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nikojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeljack View Post
    Awesomeness is apparently in the eye of the beholder... I love the color. It actually helped tip the decision. Go figure!
    nothing a $200 pair of perscription eye glasses cant fix
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

    Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    260
    Well played, sir. I appreciate sharp wit. In honor of you I shall call her 'Ugly Betty' and ride her accordingly...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.