Any Good Deals in Chicago area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Any Good Deals in Chicago area?

Hi,

I am here for a few days only and busy with work. I was hoping to checkout a few bikes stores for DS bikes and accessories. I dont mind getting 08 bikes for a really cheap price. I had my hardtail for 9 years now and the front shock start leaking during xc race. It as my first xc race

my budget is in the low 1500 with is already streatching my budget. I think anything is better than my 9 yr old bike at the moment. Basic req would be hydraulics, decent rear shock with pro pedal or something similar in design, Front for should be at least 100 mm or 120 for occasional having fun rides. I drove to Chicago from Toronto so i would like to bring the bike home

Thanks !
    Ryan

newble
    Jul 2009
    Are you actually in the City of Chicago proper? Or the Suburbs?

There are a couple places I have heard of but not been to.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am actually in donwtown here at north michigan ave north. I dont mind driving 30 or more to get to a store with a good deal

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    FYI I am actually on my way to the outlet mall.Premium Outlets Boulevard, Aurora, IL 60502 so any stores along the way would be good. I saw a trek store but i dont think they would have good deals

newble
    Jul 2009
    http://kozy.com/
    http://villagecycle.com/

if you want to travel to Milwaukee:
    http://www.benscycle.net/

I have heard Bens is TOP notch. Supposedly they have a lot of stuff too. Drove past the other day (they were closed). The neighborhood in general is pretty ghetto but it isn't like you will get shanked or anything.

http://www.chicagobikeshops.info/bikeShopList.php Pretty decent list.

I have never been to most of them, but atleast you can find the ones closest to you.

I tend to order online, as all the LBS's around here kind of suck. There is one near me in Antioch that is pretty decent. And B&G has always been straight with me. I do all my own stuff or have my buddies dad help (he used to have a business).

newble
    Jul 2009
    Yeah Aurora is a bit far... but check that list out there may be something decent on there.

newble
    Jul 2009
    http://villagecyclesport.com/

Also this place, I would NEVER go to. Buddy of mine bought his bike there... gets it home and realizes the front brakes do not work. So I check it out and determine that the mineral oil leaked from the caliper onto the rotor, ruining the pads.

He didn't even have a chance to ride the damn thing, so I told him to bring it back and they should fix it for free because it was a brand new bike. Anyways, he brings it back and they are hung up on HOW the mineral oil got onto the rotor. Asking him how it got there. It is probably a good thing I wasn't there because I think I would have slapped the **** out of them. Especially because the stupid ass sales man said it was normal.

DUR!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thank you !!! got them listed on my todo list today So far i found a trek fuel ex8 on sale for an 08 model. i hope i can push it alot lower if not onto the next shop

newble
    Jul 2009
    No problem, good luck! check out:

Cambr.org
    and
    http://trailville.com/wiki/Main_Page

for trail locations/info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Try Kozy's cyclery... My brother just picked up an 09 specialized FSR XC comp for $1200. He said they had a ton of bikes.Also, he said Kegels in Rockford, il(which is kind of far) had 08s for $1000.Also Performance bikes, never been but I heard they are pretty big.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sweet on the Specialized!

looks like there are like 2 Kozy's close to my area

219 W Erie St, Chicago, IL‎ - (312) 266-1700‎

3712 N. Halsted 773-281-2263

I will definitely check them out.

contenders are the trek fuel ex 7, specialized FSR XC all around ing the under 1500.

Thanks !

mtbr member
    May 2008
    once i get the bike.. i better ride it to get it dirty for the customs guard when i get back

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Once again rockford is kinda far(bout 1 1/2 hours) but rockford bicycle company has a couple leftover fuel ex bikes. Not sure if they got the EX 7, but just throwing it out there. I only mention the Rockford area because that's where I'm from, and my brother and I shopped around here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Don't know if you have access to the Internet, but I'm checking online to see what kozy has:
    08 FSR XC- $800
    10 FSR XC-$1200
    09 FSR XC comp- $1200
    09 expert- $1300
    09 pro-$1540
    10 expert-demo-$1600
    09 pro- demo-1600
    all the FSR XC... They had a bunch more pages and I just got sick of looking through them, but there's some good deals there. Also, just so you know, my brother said a lot of the bikes weren't even put together so maybe if you call ahead they can have it built for you.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ok, I was able to visit 3 bike stores on my way to Aurora "Shopping Outlet stores for my wife" I went to hartley's bike they didnt have any xc DS bikes in medium and they can get the 09 Giant Trance X3 but it was too expensive 1800 . Bike LIne all they have was a Scott Spart from 2000 less 20% which is around 1600 on med very nice price but im not really sure if it really starts at 2000. Last one was the Trek Store, they had the 09 ex7 for 1799 and 08 EX8 for 1899... man they are sure expensive but did test drive all 3 bikes... so far the ex8 felt smother just by jumping sidewalks the scott and ex7 were similar they were both riding on rock shock setup while the ex8 was on fox shocks...

Before i drive back to Toronto i will go to Kozy's i didnt have time today.

I think the XC comp and 09 expert is in my budget.

thanks !

newble
    Jul 2009
    Drive back to Toronto?! Not staying with us here in Chicago eh? hehe

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Man your up early... Actually my wife loves the City. Looks really nice.. alot of architectural buildings and history behind it.

So not time to packup and start taking more pictures

newble
    Jul 2009
    Heh, yeah I wake at 4:30am and get to work around 6am. ;-)

I'm glad you found a bike while down here :-)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks for your help though

I am torn between the ex8 but it is pushing it hehehe but 08? Today i will go to Kozy's for the Specialized FSR XC's. EX8 components looks good and i will keep the bike for another 10 yrs

newble
    Jul 2009
    Worst comes to worst you upgrade it as time goes by... I like to think of a bike as an investment. (with minimal monetary returns, but huge "fun" returns)

Members who have read this thread: 0