Another newbie..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Another newbie..

So I bought a "full suspension mountain bike" from Academy a while back and have been relatively pleased with it... didn't want to spend a lot on my first bike... I get out on it a few times a week... don't do any jumping or anything like that... just ride it around the neighborhood and some trails for exercise... on to my question... I think I would be happier with a hard tail and I like to tinker with stuff so I am considering buying a frame and building it myself... i found a Trek 850 frame for a reasonable price... I know it's an older frame... am I going to have problems finding parts to fit it?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this isn't the right forum for this question...

-Daniel

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    why not just take all the parts from the FS bike and put them on a hardtail frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by micro224
    why not just take all the parts from the FS bike and put them on a hardtail frame?
    Thats a idea.

What exactly is the bike, year, make, and model would be helpful. If your going to build a bike I would start with a better frame than a old Trek 850.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Never mind the Trek hate , that old 850 frame will be around alot longer than most of the new aluminum frames currently sold . You should be able to find donor parts very easily if you are patient and wait out the good deals . Building one yourself ia very rewarding experience , I say go for it . Good luck .

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Never mind the Trek hate , that old 850 frame will be around alot longer than most of the new aluminum frames currently sold . You should be able to find donor parts very easily if you are patient and wait out the good deals . Building one yourself ia very rewarding experience , I say go for it . Good luck .
    Yea I've learned to ignore those folks on other hobbies. ;-) Can I find new parts for it? I'm not really trying to do a budget build. Only reason I'm going for a used frame is cause I plan on sanding it down and repainting it. Just can't imagine doing that to a new $500+ frame.

As for the "full suspension" bike, it's a mongoose someting that I can't find online anywhere. It's a pretty bike and does pretty good. I want to keep it intact so I can take my brother or nephew on rides with me.

What could go wrong ...
    I wouldnt swap any of the parts from the mongoose, keep it as a loaner ... the 850 is a CroMo frame that can be sanded and painted and built up nicely for the type of riding you say you do ... shop around for parts if you are not in a hurry there are lots of year end closeouts to choose from ... pick the parts you like and ride it

did you get a fork with the deal or just the frame ... you dont say what year it is so just check the headset size, its either 1" or 1-1/8th and check the BB width - 68mm or 73mm

you could save some money by building it up as a SS with a rigid fork and V brakes

project bikes can be lo cost hi value rides ... good luck
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangman_dan
    Yea I've learned to ignore those folks on other hobbies. ;-) Can I find new parts for it? I'm not really trying to do a budget build. Only reason I'm going for a used frame is cause I plan on sanding it down and repainting it. Just can't imagine doing that to a new $500+ frame.

As for the "full suspension" bike, it's a mongoose someting that I can't find online anywhere. It's a pretty bike and does pretty good. I want to keep it intact so I can take my brother or nephew on rides with me.
    What year is it? Got pictures? I did not mean to imply that the 850 wont work or anything like that. It is a heavy but durable Cro Mo frame.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Can't feel my legs

Things to keep in mind

1- The 850 has 1" steerer, giving you very few fork options.
    2- Could very well have 130mm dropout spacing(not a big deal, but something to consider)
    3- No replaceable deraileur hanger(can become a big deal)

For a budget build fully rigid project, this would be a fine choice. If this is not what you had in mind, there are much better options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    What year is it? Got pictures? I did not mean to imply that the 850 wont work or anything like that. It is a heavy but durable Cro Mo frame.
    It's cool... everybody is entitled to their opinion... If it wasn't for the fact that I'm going to strip it down I would love an Iron Mountain frame but you just can't find those cheap... this Trek is $50... ;-)

The guy says it's 10 years old so a 98-99?

This is the only pic he has... so that frame stripped down I guess...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    hmm from everything I have seen they stopped making the 850 in 97, is that correct?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Can't feel my legs
    hmm from everything I have seen they stopped making the 850 in 97, is that correct?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JPark
    1- The 850 has 1" steerer, giving you very few fork options.
    2- Could very well have 130mm dropout spacing(not a big deal, but something to consider)
    3- No replaceable deraileur hanger(can become a big deal)

For a budget build fully rigid project, this would be a fine choice. If this is not what you had in mind, there are much better options.
    Now that's the info I am looking for... I want something with more options... so I need to find a frame with a 1-1/8 steerer? How do I determin if the deraileur hanger is replaceable?

Zoke, what is BB width? and SS? Sorry totally new to this.

mtbr member
    Cheapest new frame on the market will cost you about 80 dollars. But you would be getting a frame that would support all the newer technology.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Cheapest new frame on the market will cost you about 80 dollars. But you would be getting a frame that would support all the newer technology.
    Have any any online sources where I can browse??

AZ
    banned
    It's cool... everybody is entitled to their opinion... If it wasn't for the fact that I'm going to strip it down I would love an Iron Mountain frame but you just can't find those cheap... this Trek is $50... ;-)

The guy says it's 10 years old so a 98-99?

This is the only pic he has... so that frame stripped down I guess...

Ebay will be a good avenue for a suspension fork . Many parts are available new , alot of used stuff also . The bay , Craigs list , MTBR classifieds , pinkbike , etc. Half the fun is searching for the parts right?

mtbr member
    Have any any online sources where I can browse??
    There are 2 really big places actually. One of them is Price Point and the other is Jenson USA. There are tons of smaller companies but those are the 2 I trust.

EDIT Ebay, and craigslist can always be a good resource, especially for almost new bikes that that someone no longer wants.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

What could go wrong ...
    Now that's the info I am looking for... I want something with more options... so I need to find a frame with a 1-1/8 steerer? How do I determin if the deraileur hanger is replaceable?

Zoke, what is BB width? and SS? Sorry totally new to this.
    BB=bottom bracket and SS=single speed
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So it's been a slow day at work and i've been able to do more learning. That Trek 850 has v-brakes which I'm not keen on. So i've been looking more and found this 2007 Gary Fisher Tassajara, frame only, no crank. Question is will a 17.5" frame be ok for me? Oh yea... I'm a stocky 5'8" with a 30.5" inseam. I've looked online and I've gotten everything from 17"-20"... and what would be a fair price for it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can't feel my legs
    That is a V-brake frame as well, but is 1 1/8 steerer, and replaceable hanger, as well as 135 hub spacing. The size, could work as you will be building the bike to fit you(stem, seatpost)
    A better choice in your situation may be to find a cheap used bike that needs work, and repair/upgrade as you go along. Not only will it give you a much better fitting bike, but it will give you a much better idea on which direction to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JPark
    That is a V-brake frame as well, but is 1 1/8 steerer, and replaceable hanger, as well as 135 hub spacing. The size, could work as you will be building the bike to fit you(stem, seatpost)
    A better choice in your situation may be to find a cheap used bike that needs work, and repair/upgrade as you go along. Not only will it give you a much better fitting bike, but it will give you a much better idea on which direction to go.
    According to the seller it has mounts for disc brakes as well... looking online this seems to be accurate??

Wow how did you find all that info?? ;-) I'm actually quite impressed by the size of the cycling community and the participation that I've seen on this sight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Definitely plan on hitting the LBS tomorrow and checking out some hardtails in person. The bike I have now has an 18" frame, I think. It seems a little oversized to me but I really don't know what it should be like so... maybe some pro help is in order before diving off and investing more money into things...

Members who have read this thread: 0