mtbr member

another beginner question

my wife and I have the same size tires on our bikes although different back wheel gear setups. are the back wheels interchangeable? i have a more street tread tire and she has a good knobby tire. I like the meaty tires when I am on a trail but its also nice to have a nice street tread when I go out for a few miles in my subdivision. keep in mind, she doesnt even ride her bike so i am in no danger of pissing her off. I want the best of both worlds.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    What do you mean by different gear setups?

If you are running different speed cassettes (one's an 8 and one's a 9 for example) then you might have problems with the chain and rear derailleur.

Also could have problems with disk brakes of different types and different rotors. Or similarly if one is set up for disks and one rim brakes then the hubs/rims might not be compatible with your braking setup.

You can also just change the tires out (annoying if you do it often) or get a "cheap" spare wheelset for the "road" tires (keep an eye on craigslist for someone's OEM throwaways)

mtbr member
    im not sure if the gear sets are different. i just wanted to know if being of a different make if i would have trouble.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    You said they were running different back gear setups, so what did you mean.

No being different brands won't make a difference.

Having different wear levels (new cassette old chain, visa versa) might cause a problem

Having rear cassettes of different compatibilities will cause a problem (probably ok if they are the same number of gears, probably not ok if they aren't). This would be a problem with cassette/chain compatibility and possibly rear derailleur compatibility.

Having different brake setups (disk and rim) will cause a problem

Having two different types of disk brakes might cause a problem.

I (or likely anyone else) can't be any more specific unless we know what the wheels, brakes, and drivetrains are on the two bikes in question.

mtbr member
    your answer makes sense. we both have low end bikes, she has v brakes I have u brakes. i think we have the same # of gears so it should be ok. i'll try it close to home, I hate to carry my bike very far, and see if it works. i'm probably due for a new chain anyway, so i might as well test it with the old one and see if i wreck it or not. thanks for the info

mtbr member
    ok, looked at them today. I have 6 gears in back 3 rings up front. hers has 7 gears in back but only 2 rings up front. i didnt know if 7 gears would make adifference if mine has 6. anywa..thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just put the meaty tire on your bike and keep the rim from your bike on your bike. It's easier to ride with a dirt tire on the street than to ride with a street tire on the dirt.

mtbr member
    i tried that and when i got going at a goot pace, it felt if the bike had a sorta side to side sway when i was pedaling. my tires are mounted tight and are straight. i didnt know if the meaty tread just felt that way or not

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yes, meaty tires feel funky on the the street. They are slow and don't stop as well. But the other guy is right. You can't mix those two wheels. But being you have low end bikes, maybe you can buy a cheap wheel to switch out. The only ones that are interchangeable are 8 and 9 speed. But you still need to change the cassette everytime. That can be a pain.

Members who have read this thread: 0