american bikes VS taiwanes bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

american bikes VS taiwanes bikes

Hi guys..i'm not sure if this has been discussed before. But actually i'd like to know how the technology and engineering of the bikes differ and match up against each other over the years...

Cos i've a friend who rides a top end scalpel(current year model) and keeps dissing everyone else in the track that his bike is the best and it's from America, and that in itself makes it superior already compared to the likes of the giant anthem X..etc...stuff like that. Cos where i stay, most of us ride on giants and GTs and meridas..

so would really like to know if it is really true that american engineering is superior to the taiwanese in terms of mountain bikes?

thks guys..i'm really kinda newbie to the scene and just starting out to learn more. Don't pinalize for asking the wrong qn..

frenchie...

mtbr member
    Not True.

mtbr member
    taiwan is the premier bike manufacturer. they produce far more high end stuff than we do. some would argue that they have the finest welders in the world. a perusal of carbon frames shows they can build with carbon better than most. clearly there are us manufacturers that can produce at as high a quality but they are few and far between. cannondale is in the process of moving all of their fabrication to taiwan. usa has many great boutique brands and its awesome to support them but they arent necessarily producing a superior product. the reality is that you cannot build a modern mountain bike from all made in the usa components. taiwan makes most everything now.

Class Clown
    usa doesn't actually make things anymore

mtbr member

hmmm

hmmm..if it is such...than why are there so many pple in the scene who make a big hoo haa that cannondale is shifting production to taiwan and that it's standard of bikes will drop, when the taiwanese are actually very good in doing the stuff they do(or if not, better even as some claimed). i.e making mountain bikes.it puzzles me...

so we could also safely say that the taiwan made high end bikes are in no way inferior to the high end american made bikes?the difference is in it's marketing?
    Last edited by frenchbulldog; 06-18-2009 at 11:53 PM.

The more the better
    Just because its like if you buy a ford over a honda, pride i guess. I was kinda disappointed only because they sold out though

mtbr member
    i think the made in the usa marketing is long gone save for boutique builders. design is a whole 'nother matter. i dont think there'd be much argument that usa still has great designers... stuff just gets built elsewhere. there are several posts about made in the usa, do a search and you'll get a lot of different opinions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Your friend is stuck in the 90s still...

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by andy85
    Your friend is stuck in the 90s still...

Yup, something like that. Aside from pride in having something American, your friend doesn't realize how far Taiwan has come in bike manufacturing in the last 10-20 years.

It seams that little island of Formosa has become the bike manufacturing capitol of the world. It has enormous amount of money invested in manufacturing in what is probably every aspect of bicycle building. Where it's designed is still dependent on the company I guess but I'm sure they have a huge R&D resource as well. I don't know for sure on what I'm babling on about here but thats what me thinks at moment

I recently read an article about how it all started back when the yen/dollar made it no longer viable to sell Japanese bikes in the US(late 80's early 90') and they got Taiwan's ball rolling in a big way towards bicycle manufacturing.

Anyway, I'm no pro on this so I won't go on about it but basically your friend seems to underestimate the Taiwanese and the quality of it's bikes.

I myself own a Cannondale and am quite proud of the frame being made here in the states by Americans. It seems to be one of the few things I can buy to help support the American worker these days Although I'm in the same camp as the folks who are saddened that Durell is moving manufacturing to Taiwan, I'm not gonna knock the taiwanese bikes for inferior quality or anything.

I guess they need to move it to stay competitive

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    your friend is riding a bike with a generic linkage driven single pivot.. basically the bottom end free for all suspension design. same design found on walmart bikes rub that one in his face.. then try to hook up with his mom or something.

banned
    There is good and bad in both.

Everything is a case by case basis.

There are trends, but following these trends, rather than "taking them under advisement" does a disservice to those who don't follow the trends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    overseas asian manufacturing is at the point now where theyre equipped properly, and have the staff and capabilities to make products, anything really, on par with what every other nation can make. tolerance, material, processing, machining, personnel etc etc, taiwan is 100% up to date with the latest and greatest.

like jerk chicken said though, doesnt mean its good or bad just because of the sticker.. its all case by case now, theres plenty of junky crap products from the US.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    His frame may be made in the US, but have him take a look at his components: SRAM, Shimano, Rock Shox, and most other manufacturers make their stuff in Taiwan. His bike isn't as American as he thinks it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchbulldog
    so would really like to know if it is really true that american engineering is superior to the taiwanese in terms of mountain bikes?
    There is a difference between engineering and manufacturing. I am not sure how good Taiwanese engineers are, but I am not overly impressed with American engineering. IMO it's lacking behind European and Japanese engineering.

AFAIK Taiwanese manufacturing is top notch.

...idios...
    "hmmm..if it is such...than why are there so many pple in the scene who make a big hoo haa that cannondale is shifting production to taiwan and that it's standard of bikes will drop, when the taiwanese are actually very good in doing the stuff they do(or if not, better even as some claimed)"

Because many people are irrational, can only view the world in terms of black or white, one thing or the other, are deeply prejudiced due to a lack of basic knowledge and don't exercise their intelligence often enough to enable themselves to formulate reasonable conclusions.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The short version is...your friend is an a$$.

pants on head retarded
    Rule #1: Don't feed the trolls.

Your buddy is going on an ego trip. It's fine, he'll get over it eventually. I'd *prefer* to buy an American made bike (and often go out of my way and spend a bit more to buy American made goodies)-- but it's not always an option and there's not much wrong with that. Taiwanese folk can weld just as well as American folk these days

Rule #2: Don't call it a "scene"
    (OK, this is more just my rule... I think the term is silly :P )

Members who have read this thread: 0