Am I going to get wrecked riding this in whistler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

We the people ... Am I going to get wrecked riding this in whistler?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get an idea from the more experienced riders out there if my current Bike is going to be suitable for riding up in whistler, specifically some of the DH and singletrack. I'm talking easier runs here - I don't currently posses the skills to take 8 foot drops, etc.

I'm riding a 2010 Kona Caldera: bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2010&Brand=Kona&Model=Caldera& Type=bike

I realize I've only got a 100mm of travel here, but I do see some people saying you can "get away with it" - what do you think? A couple friends at about the same skill level plan to rent FS. My only rationale for this is that renting a FS for a 3-5 days (say something like a specialized hit, etc.) is going to be cost prohibitive. I'd sooner sacrifice a bit of comfort if it means not shelling out rental cash.

I'm physically fit, so the additional discomfort of riding HT I don't anticipate being a problem.

Lastly, in my limited experience, is there anything I should be keeping in kind technique wise when riding a DH course on a HT? How is the experience different?

Thanks

2006 Yeti AS-X
    If you aren't riding the uber-gnar sections and sticking to the easy trails and/or trails that have minimal jumping/gnar, I don't see why a HT would be a big issue. The only thing I would be concerned is how your brakes perform - being that most HT's (I know there are those that can do DH) are usually spec'd for XC riding.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    You could do it if you're semi-competent and work your way into it rather than jumping into double blacks right away. Of course you'll also probably be pretty sore every day so maybe consider taking shorter days or taking the odd day off and riding Valley trails too just to give yourself a break
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Picture Unrelated
    I would save up for at least one day of renting. That hardtail is going to beat the hell out of you and you'll really have a lot more options on the right bike. You're posting in the beginner forum so I have to assume that you're not Jinya Nishiwaki and as such you should at least consider a FS bike rental for a day or two. You can always mix up days in the park with days in the valley which would spread out the lift days and save you a bit of body beatdown.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i'm assuming that you're driving up there, cuz there's no way it makes sense to fly your bike with you when a more appropriate rental will address all your needs for about the same cash.

if you decide to ride the HT, i'd echo the above. i've not been to whistler, but i did do a lift serviced ski resort i mammoth and just stuck to the greens and blues because they were actually more fun for me, weaving singletrack and more technical and much longer runs. i don't huck or take big drops so i don't feel i was missing anything at all. i didn't see anything that i couldn't do on a HT, but i don't think i'd prefer it given the choice.

as mentioned, just keep an eye on your brakes.
    one thing, if whistler terrain is vastly different from where you normally ride, it's worth the investment in a pair of tires appropriate for the mountain. just call ahead to a local shop and ask what they recommend and buy a used set on the bay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I rather buy than rent. Is ur fork changeable to 120mm? You can grab larger rotors and adapter. If ur brakes are questionable, grab a front shimano xt or deore hydro brake. Buy beefy tires and maybe some wheels. And maybe a larger travel fork. Purchase and build now in preparation. Things tend yo cost a lot more in Canada and on the mtn.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

mtbr member
    There was another thread about whistler. the guy was bringing his quite slack 160mm bike up there, and most people agreed that it wasnt enough, and he'd get beat up on the trails.

On a bike like that, you'd have to skip a LOT of trails.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Larger rotors do make a difference. I went from 160mm to 203mm rotors and it made a world of difference.

Of course, my bike was a 45lb Yeti AS-X and with the 160mm rotors, braking down steep grades was very lackluster and going down Joe's Ridge, was not even enough to slow the bike (lucky my tires had great grip!). Upgraded to 203mm rotors and she could stop on a dime!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    It don't matter how fit you are.....a HT @ Whistler will beat you the hell up. Make one day devoted to riding the right type of rental - it will change your perspective for good.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

T.W.O
    Even if you could ride the trails without destroying yourself it wouldn't be very fun.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Members who have read this thread: 0