Am I asking for trouble?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Am I asking for trouble?

I really like these GT Sanction and Force Bikes bikes. Its possible i dont need such an aggressive bike. Anyway, these frames are large. A small has a standover height of 29.29 inches, and 29.25 inches... My inseam is 30"... Should i be realistic and take a good look at the marathon 1.0 for fit reasons alone. I think its 28.5 but not as built of a bike.

Thanks,

Wayne

I post too much.
    How often do you stand over your bike with both feet firmly planted on the ground? The answer is probably: Never.

What you really want to check out is the top tube length, a bike's fit has a lot more to do with it's length than it's height. Most manufacturers have a chart up on their website with a recommended frame size according to your height, check it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    snaky69 is right,don't go by stand over height go by how the cockpit feels.Those GT Forces and Sanctions look like outstanding bikes and great deals,I wouldn't let stand over height stop me from getting one.I'd pick the Force if you're more into the XC/Trail thing,they don't seem to be as aggressive as the Sanction.

I have a Mongoose Canaan Team build and my LBS insisted that the 20" would be too big for me because of the stand over,but I'm glad I got it.The cockpit fits pretty good,but it does have a longer top tube by design as it was designed as a enduro race bike.If I were to shorten the stem and/or get riser bars I could be more upright.

Jul 2008
    I ride a large Force 3.0. I'm 6'4" and my inseam (pants) is 34". The bike is slightly too small for me and I have to put the seat up and back before it is comfortable to ride. Get on the bike and ride it around the parking lot. Check your leg extension when you pedel and how comfortable the reach is to the handlebars when seated. Remember both things can be adjusted somewhat and probably will need to be before its really comfortable.

I was considering the Marathon as well. I think they are both good bikes but settled on the Force and love it more the more I ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    How often do you stand over your bike with both feet firmly planted on the ground? The answer is probably: Never.
    I was thinking about this one a lot. The odds of me having both feet off the pegs at one time are pretty non existent. Especially since id like to run clips. Heck, i never was able to touch the ground comfortably on my dirt bikes.

Thanks to all of you guys... Im glad i found this site... now the problem becomes really tough... Force 1.0 or 2.0???

Wayne

Jun 2003

Easy one.

Get the one that costs more, for the better kit.

Members who have read this thread: 0