Advice on a new fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Advice on a new fork

Hey all, first post up in hyah. Anyway, with that awkward introduction out of the way, I'm in need of some advice on a new fork, specs to follow, after that will be my plight.

Trek 4300
    21"
    Shimano Deore Derailleur
    26" wheels
    RST Gila TNL fork

I'm sure there could be more to ass, but I'm new, so get over it. As it stands now, my current fork as much force as a broom handle, besides that, the internal components have a nasty habit of rotating with use, forcing my fork into hydraulic lockout. As it stands, the bike cost me $350 including extra tubes, patch kit, clip in pedals, cleats, and a patch kit, and a pump as well, so I got an alright deal despite the not exactly high quality of the bike. So far the only repair I've put in is 60 bucks plus labor for an upgraded derailleur after I caught an unlucky stick on a trail ride. Look, I know my bike isn't high end, it isn't meant for extended serious riding, and I should upgrade as soon as possible, but it's served me well enough thus far, and the fork is the last upgrade I really feel like putting into it before I save up for a more serious bike 6-8 months from now. As it stands now, my RST fork is a hunk of crap that absorbs marginal amounts of force at best. What I'm asking you fine people for is suggestions of a quality fork that'll be durable, absorb some shock, but won't break the bank. A guy at my lbs suggested a "150 dollar rock shox fork, maybe" for this bad boy, so I'm wondering what you guys' input is. Thanks for any and all help, and I guess an "I'm not worthy!" a la Wayne's world is appropriate. Cheers, Erik

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Also, I'm 6'4", and gravitating around 200 lbs. I ride about 2-3 times per week, usually at about 10 miles per time on back country trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My mate just picked up a set of 2011 Rockshox Recon Silver from Chain reaction cycles UK for about $175 on offer, replacing an RST Gila which he had similar complaints to you. He reckons they are a huge improvement. You may need to put a heavier duty coil in though

SANCTUS

SANCTUS
    Rock Shox Tora 302 U-Turn 2011 | eBay this is a great fork, very smooth coil spring damping, it has been discontinued hence the low price.This is a used fork, I suggest shopping around for a new one.

SANCTUS
    Rock Shox Tora 302 U-Turn 2011 | eBay heres a new one, good luck and goodnight.

mtbr member
    tora is a very decent fork. worth every penny IMO
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

Members who have read this thread: 0