Advice on Jamis and others- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Advice on Jamis and others

I am actually returning to the whole MTB community.

From Chicago and getting into the nature trails in the suburbs and plan on getting back to single tracks. Did some research and want to get a hardtail but being the season and covid, supply is scant.

What are your thoughts on Jamis Dragonslayer S2 for 1k out the door?

Any other in stock HT you can recommend. Tried looking for Salsa Timberjack, Sync'r, Virus Sentier without any luck

Cycologist
    If you are looking for a plus bike, sounds like a good deal. Is this a left over from 2019?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Yes it is. Last of the 2019s.

I just can't find anything else in that class, plus it's specs are quite similar to the rest.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by ifixhearts View Post
    Yes it is. Last of the 2019s.

I just can't find anything else in that class, plus it's specs are quite similar to the rest.
    As long as it is your size, sounds like you need to jump on it. But buy it before you ride off.

I think you can swap on 29s if you don't like the 27.5 plus. I have a Unit with 27.5+ but running it rigid; I would probably go with 29s if I added a suspension fork but that's just me.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    I am actually returning to the whole MTB community.

From Chicago and getting into the nature trails in the suburbs and plan on getting back to single tracks. Did some research and want to get a hardtail but being the season and covid, supply is scant.

What are your thoughts on Jamis Dragonslayer S2 for 1k out the door?

Any other in stock HT you can recommend. Tried looking for Salsa Timberjack, Sync'r, Virus Sentier without any luck
    that Jamis is a great deal assuming it fits you

have you tried the salsa website to find any possible bikes in stock in the chicago area? https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...erjack_xt_27.5
    My name is George. Im unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks! Didn't know about that site.

Found a 27.5+ SLX that's a bit of a drive away, but selling for $1300. Is it worth $300 over the Jamis?

mtbr member
    Thanks! Didn't know about that site.

Found a 27.5+ SLX that's a bit of a drive away, but selling for $1300. Is it worth $300 over the Jamis?
    I would say no. From what I can tell, they both have rockshox Recon forks and SLX 11 speed drivetrains. Is that info correct?

I own a timberjack. It's nice but in my opinion, the jamis steel frame is going to be higher quality. I think you'd be perfectly happy with both though. Getting last years model is almost always a better deal too.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Millennial29erGuy View Post
    I would say no. From what I can tell, they both have rockshox Recon forks and SLX 11 speed drivetrains. Is that info correct?

I own a timberjack. It's nice but in my opinion, the jamis steel frame is going to be higher quality. I think you'd be perfectly happy with both though. Getting last years model is almost always a better deal too.
    Yep, it looks the same to me!

Frame: Reynolds 520 steel, 44mm head tube, 31.6 I.D. seat tube, internal dropper post routing, ISCG05, sliding 12x148mm dropouts, Formula thru-axle

Fork: Rock Shox Recon RL 29/27.5+, Solo Air spring, external rebound, lockout adjust, 32mm stanchions, 15x110mm axle, tapered aluminum steerer, 120mm travel

Headset: FSA Orbit, Alloy cups

Wheels: WTB ST i40 TCS tubeless 27.5" rims, Formula sealed bearing 15x110mm front & 12x148mm rear 6-bolt disc hubs, stainless spokes

Tires: WTB Ranger, 27.5 x 3.0, TCS tubeless

Derailleurs: Shimano SLX Shadow Plus, 11-speed

Shiftlevers: Shimano SLX, 1x11-speed

Chain: KMC X11, 11-speed

Cassette: Shimano M7000, 11-speed, 11-46T

Crankset: Shimano SLX, 32T

BB Set: Shimano External

Pedals: MTB alloy platform

Brakeset: Shimano MT400 hydraulic disc, 180mm front & 160mm rear RT26 6-bolt rotors

Handlebar: Race Face Ride, 31.8 x 740mm

Stem: Race Face Ride: 60mm (15), 70mm (17/19"), 80mm (21")

Grips: Jamis Lock-On

Seat Post: Race Face Ride, 31.6 x 400mm

Saddle: WTB Volt

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Millennial29erGuy View Post

The TJ is an awesome bike but I do agree about the steel frame.

The TJ may be worth the extra bucks if you want a bike that can do everything. Salsa has a ton of accessories for the TJ which allows you to convert the TJ into just about anything you want to ride. Want an adventure bike? You can get bags and a rack system from Salsa! You can also get a rigid fork and convert the bike to a gravel pounder if you want. As always it's a great hardtail just for shredding the trails.

I think I drank too much Salsa Kool-Aid...
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    specs
    The SLX timberjack might come with a dropper post whereas the Jamis does not (?)