• 05-29-2020
    ifixhearts
    Advice on Jamis and others
    I am actually returning to the whole MTB community.

    From Chicago and getting into the nature trails in the suburbs and plan on getting back to single tracks. Did some research and want to get a hardtail but being the season and covid, supply is scant.

    What are your thoughts on Jamis Dragonslayer S2 for 1k out the door?

    Any other in stock HT you can recommend. Tried looking for Salsa Timberjack, Sync'r, Virus Sentier without any luck
  • 05-29-2020
    chazpat
    If you are looking for a plus bike, sounds like a good deal. Is this a left over from 2019?
  • 05-29-2020
    ifixhearts
    Yes it is. Last of the 2019s.

    I just can't find anything else in that class, plus it's specs are quite similar to the rest.
  • 05-29-2020
    chazpat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ifixhearts View Post
    Yes it is. Last of the 2019s.

    I just can't find anything else in that class, plus it's specs are quite similar to the rest.

    As long as it is your size, sounds like you need to jump on it. But buy it before you ride off.

    I think you can swap on 29s if you don't like the 27.5 plus. I have a Unit with 27.5+ but running it rigid; I would probably go with 29s if I added a suspension fork but that's just me.
  • 05-29-2020
    Millennial29erGuy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ifixhearts View Post
    I am actually returning to the whole MTB community.

    From Chicago and getting into the nature trails in the suburbs and plan on getting back to single tracks. Did some research and want to get a hardtail but being the season and covid, supply is scant.

    What are your thoughts on Jamis Dragonslayer S2 for 1k out the door?

    Any other in stock HT you can recommend. Tried looking for Salsa Timberjack, Sync'r, Virus Sentier without any luck

    that Jamis is a great deal assuming it fits you

    have you tried the salsa website to find any possible bikes in stock in the chicago area? https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...erjack_xt_27.5
  • 05-29-2020
    ifixhearts
    Thanks! Didn't know about that site.

    Found a 27.5+ SLX that's a bit of a drive away, but selling for $1300. Is it worth $300 over the Jamis?
  • 05-29-2020
    Millennial29erGuy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ifixhearts View Post
    Thanks! Didn't know about that site.

    Found a 27.5+ SLX that's a bit of a drive away, but selling for $1300. Is it worth $300 over the Jamis?

    I would say no. From what I can tell, they both have rockshox Recon forks and SLX 11 speed drivetrains. Is that info correct?

    I own a timberjack. It's nice but in my opinion, the jamis steel frame is going to be higher quality. I think you'd be perfectly happy with both though. Getting last years model is almost always a better deal too.
  • 05-29-2020
    ifixhearts
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Millennial29erGuy View Post
    I would say no. From what I can tell, they both have rockshox Recon forks and SLX 11 speed drivetrains. Is that info correct?

    I own a timberjack. It's nice but in my opinion, the jamis steel frame is going to be higher quality. I think you'd be perfectly happy with both though. Getting last years model is almost always a better deal too.

    Yep, it looks the same to me!

    Frame: Reynolds 520 steel, 44mm head tube, 31.6 I.D. seat tube, internal dropper post routing, ISCG05, sliding 12x148mm dropouts, Formula thru-axle

    Fork: Rock Shox Recon RL 29/27.5+, Solo Air spring, external rebound, lockout adjust, 32mm stanchions, 15x110mm axle, tapered aluminum steerer, 120mm travel

    Headset: FSA Orbit, Alloy cups

    Wheels: WTB ST i40 TCS tubeless 27.5" rims, Formula sealed bearing 15x110mm front & 12x148mm rear 6-bolt disc hubs, stainless spokes

    Tires: WTB Ranger, 27.5 x 3.0, TCS tubeless

    Derailleurs: Shimano SLX Shadow Plus, 11-speed

    Shiftlevers: Shimano SLX, 1x11-speed

    Chain: KMC X11, 11-speed

    Cassette: Shimano M7000, 11-speed, 11-46T

    Crankset: Shimano SLX, 32T

    BB Set: Shimano External

    Pedals: MTB alloy platform

    Brakeset: Shimano MT400 hydraulic disc, 180mm front & 160mm rear RT26 6-bolt rotors

    Handlebar: Race Face Ride, 31.8 x 740mm

    Stem: Race Face Ride: 60mm (15), 70mm (17/19"), 80mm (21")

    Grips: Jamis Lock-On

    Seat Post: Race Face Ride, 31.6 x 400mm

    Saddle: WTB Volt
  • 05-29-2020
    Battery
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Millennial29erGuy View Post
    I would say no. From what I can tell, they both have rockshox Recon forks and SLX 11 speed drivetrains. Is that info correct?

    I own a timberjack. It's nice but in my opinion, the jamis steel frame is going to be higher quality. I think you'd be perfectly happy with both though. Getting last years model is almost always a better deal too.

    The TJ is an awesome bike but I do agree about the steel frame.

    The TJ may be worth the extra bucks if you want a bike that can do everything. Salsa has a ton of accessories for the TJ which allows you to convert the TJ into just about anything you want to ride. Want an adventure bike? You can get bags and a rack system from Salsa! You can also get a rigid fork and convert the bike to a gravel pounder if you want. As always it's a great hardtail just for shredding the trails.

    I think I drank too much Salsa Kool-Aid...
  • 05-29-2020
    Millennial29erGuy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ifixhearts View Post
    specs

    The SLX timberjack might come with a dropper post whereas the Jamis does not (?)