adjusting shifter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

adjusting shifter

I got a used bike a few weeks ago mainly to tinker/commute on and have needed to make a few adjustments. I have gotten the rear shifter to hit all gears now except high gear (5th its a 15 speed) I can manully put it into 5th and it will stay but can't get it adjusted to move over via the shifter and I was noticing that it seems to "bobble" in 3rd (chain/bottom hocky puck won't mesh but it will in 1, 2, 4, & 5). there is no adjustment at the shifter but 2 at the derailer and I've tried both (one is a screw/spring setup and the other is the nut that "clamps" the end of the cable)

any idea how to adjust it so I can hit 5th if/when I want to without getting off the bike and moving it over by hand?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i havent done it myslef, but ive seen info on rear derailer adjustment on youtube, and also on parktools website.
    check it out

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    depending on the derailleur
    The screws you are talking about are limit screws. They control how far in towards the wheel the derailleur goes (L screw) and the H screw controls how far away from the wheel it goes (high gear).
    Sounds like your problem is the H screw is to tight, give it a quarter turn left (loosen it) and make sure the cable has no slack (but not pulled super tight) and reclamp the cable.
    for more detailed, check out park tool's site

Members who have read this thread: 0