Adjust seat clamps daily...- Mtbr.com
    just ride
    Oct 2006

Adjust seat clamps daily...

I have two bikes, HT and FS. I use my HT to commute to work in the morning but at night, my wife borrows my bike when we ride to the park...

My questions are:

1. will my carbon fiber frame gets messed up if I have to readjust the clamps/post daily? I have the double clamp type and an aluminum seatpost.

2. what is the torque spec for carbon frame/alloy post/ alloy double clamp (not QR)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you can afford a carbon fiber FS frame for a 2nd bike, you might as well drop the cash on a wife-at-park specific bike.

No offense, I'm just a tad jealous.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay
    I have two bikes, HT and FS. I use my HT to commute to work in the morning but at night, my wife borrows my bike when we ride to the park...

My questions are:

1. will my carbon fiber frame gets messed up if I have to readjust the clamps/post daily? I have the double clamp type and an aluminum seatpost.

2. what is the torque spec for carbon frame/alloy post/ alloy double clamp (not QR)?

Thanks!
    It should not affect the frame as long as you follow the manufacture's NM spec. I agree with TheoDog, get her another bike. If you have a carbon HT as a second bike, your priority is in the right place , your wife may not. Beside you probably have a good time shopping for her bike too.

Trying not to kill myself
    Around here, CL is loaded with nice woman's bikes that have been ridden a couple of times and then parked in the garage. Guys who are into bikes often think their ladies will be into them too, but that doesn't always happen. I'd get her one of those dirt cheap unless you really have no space for one more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Or you could just go ahead and let me take the carbon off your hands and not have to worry about adjusting the clamps, lol.

Picture Unrelated
    Carbon is susceptible to surface scratches which weaken the post. Make sure you're not scratching up the post as you adjust it up and down. If you're not, it's probably fine. Keep it well lubed with a carbon compound. I don't know about torque specs on a particular seatpost, but handlebars are typically 4 N m. You should probably be able to do a quick search or send an email to the manufacturer of your post to find out the proper torque.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Cool thx guys!

She doesn't want to spend a penny on a bike. She likes to jog instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Carbon is susceptible to surface scratches which weaken the post. Make sure you're not scratching up the post as you adjust it up and down. If you're not, it's probably fine. Keep it well lubed with a carbon compound. I don't know about torque specs on a particular seatpost, but handlebars are typically 4 N m. You should probably be able to do a quick search or send an email to the manufacturer of your post to find out the proper torque.
    Great information!! Thanks for your reply zeb.
    One of my great collection Examples of Leaflet

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay
    Cool thx guys!

She doesn't want to spend a penny on a bike. She likes to jog instead.
    And yet, she borrows your bike.

Tell her, if she gets her own bike, not only will it be more convenient but she'll be riding more often as well.

Buy her a $150 hybrid from CL.

Members who have read this thread: 0