80mm stem, 10 deg rise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

80mm stem, 10 deg rise

i'm looking for an 80mm stem with about a 10 degree angle/rise. any recommendations?

R.I.P. DogFriend

Fat-tired Roadie
    I got one of this company's stems when I was setting up one of my bikes as a loaner for my girlfriend.

Nashbar and Performance Bike sometimes have house-branded stems for less.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=14857

I usually buy 'em from a bin at my local coop, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Now I'm wondering if I should go with a 70mm stem. I currently use a 90mm, so I'm wondering if an 80mm will be that much different from a 90mm (in terms of how it will feel). Thoughts?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Thoughts?

What kind of bike?

Terrain?

Why do you feel the need to have a shorter stem?

If I was only off by 10mm, I probably wouldn't be in a big hurry to swap stems, but if I felt I needed to get 20mm or more away from where my current stem was, I would be more motivated to do it.

I'm not really a fan of 85* or less on my XC type bikes, but I'm an XL or XXL so those with smaller frames might go as short as 70mm. You need to be able to put some weight on the front wheel in turns without feeling like the bar is too far back to maintain control. If you feel the need to go shorter than that, I might start to suspect a frame that may be a little too big.

As Andrew mentioned, it's a good idea to get some cheap stems from sales at the LBS. I just picked up four stems a couple weeks ago (for a friend that tests bikes) at a sale for $5 each (four stems for $20). I got a 90mm, 100mm, 105mm, and a 110mm stem, all of then 6* rise. One was a Kona stem (very light believe it or not), along with an Easton and an FSA too.

Not sure why you feel the need, but be careful that it doesn't put you too much more over the top of the bars when in the attack position while descending. It could mean that you have to get that much further back when you brake hard so you don't feel like you're going to go OTB or actually go OTB

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Thoughts?

What kind of bike?

Terrain?

Why do you feel the need to have a shorter stem?

If I was only off by 10mm, I probably wouldn't be in a big hurry to swap stems, but if I felt I needed to get 20mm or more away from where my current stem was, I would be more motivated to do it.

I'm not really a fan of 85* or less on my XC type bikes, but I'm an XL or XXL so those with smaller frames might go as short as 70mm. You need to be able to put some weight on the front wheel in turns without feeling like the bar is too far back to maintain control. If you feel the need to go shorter than that, I might start to suspect a frame that may be a little too big.

As Andrew mentioned, it's a good idea to get some cheap stems from sales at the LBS. I just picked up four stems a couple weeks ago (for a friend that tests bikes) at a sale for $5 each (four stems for $20). I got a 90mm, 100mm, 105mm, and a 110mm stem, all of then 6* rise. One was a Kona stem (very light believe it or not), along with an Easton and an FSA too.

Not sure why you feel the need, but be careful that it doesn't put you too much more over the top of the bars when in the attack position while descending. It could mean that you have to get that much further back when you brake hard so you don't feel like you're going to go OTB or actually go OTB
    I ride a '11 fuel ex 8, mostly singletrack. I'm 5'10 and tend to have longer arms and legs. I ride an 18.5 frame but feel like my arms/shoulders reach out too far. I've tried moving the seat forward, but then my knees hurt. The reason why I'm considering a shorter stem is to shorten the cockpit, hoping it will reduce my overreach, and, ultimately, the pain I experience around my mid-back (on both sides, the muscles right next to my spine). This is why I'm considering an 80mm or 70mm stem. What do you think?

Fat-tired Roadie
    If I change stem length by 10mm and nothing else, it's a subtle difference when I hop on the bike - something feels a little off, but I might not be able to put my finger on it. After half an hour or so, though, it starts to really bother me. 10mm is quite a lot in stems.

I didn't like 65mm and riser bars on my bike. 80mm and flat bars worked pretty well. I tried 90mm in response to a wheel lift problem I was having, and found I liked it; recently I tried 100mm and it was too much. So I think I'd be okay on 80mm for more leisurely riding, but when I'm riding at higher effort, a little more reach gives me a little more space for a more aggressive position.

Which was a rambling way to say, cheap stems, and change it 10mm at a time - it really does make a difference.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohnine
    I ride a '11 fuel ex 8, mostly singletrack. I'm 5'10 and tend to have longer arms and legs. I ride an 18.5 frame but feel like my arms/shoulders reach out too far. I've tried moving the seat forward, but then my knees hurt. The reason why I'm considering a shorter stem is to shorten the cockpit, hoping it will reduce my overreach, and, ultimately, the pain I experience around my mid-back (on both sides, the muscles right next to my spine). This is why I'm considering an 80mm or 70mm stem. What do you think?
    Usually you get knee pain when moving the saddle back too far, but if they hurt that way, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's worth a shot for you to try a shorter stem if you can do it without spending too much to try them out. Just remember to consider both your seated pedaling position and anf how it works for standing up off the saddle and attacking descents.

As for saddle adjustments, a little can be a lot in terms of whether or not you get back pain. Sometimes it only takes 1/4" fore/aft to make a noticeable difference. Could be the same for a stem in your case.

How much higher is your saddle than the bars? That could be affecting back pain too, as could the angle of your saddle.

here is an 80mm stem with 10* rise:

https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-EASTON-EA-5...item2eb3680b50

Here is an 80mm stem with 30* rise, which would bring it back even further than a 10* rise and raise the bar height if that could be helpful:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Ritchey-Pro-Ste...item27b9c58817

This is a 90mm with a 30* rise:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Summit-Riser-St...item19c570b52c

A 90mm stem with 30* rise will put the bar back slightly more toward you than an 80mm stem with 10* rise , but it will be higher.

Here is a chart to show the differences:

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks to all who posted...definitely some helpful stuff!

Members who have read this thread: 1