5" suspension fork to rigid?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

New question here. 5" suspension fork to rigid?

I'm looking to convert my 26" hardtail (v-brakes) into basically a hybrid type bike mainy for road use. Right now it has a 5" travel suspension fork, would putting a 100mm travel corrected rigid fork (like the surly instigator) drop the frame too low in front? What about an 80mm like the surly 1x1? Are there any other fork options I should consider in the price range around $100?

Thanks for the replies and help
    Last edited by brydon10; 05-07-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Enthusiast
    I've tried the Instigator on some bikes (Rockhoppers) designed for 100mm forks, and I find it too small even on those. I've liked the Instigator best on a Giant STP frame designed around an 80mm fork.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Right now it has a 5" travel suspension fork, would putting a 100mm travel corrected rigid fork (like the surly instigator) drop the frame too low in front?
    Surly Instigator Fork, axle to crown = 447mm

If you want to raise the frame more then use a longer fork.

Surly Karate Monkey Rigid 29r Fork, axle to crown = 468mm

* a V-brake couldn't be used on the 29er fork when fitted with a 26" wheel, it'd have to be a disc set up only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What model/year is your hardtail?
    There weren't many v-brake hardtails designed for 5-inch travel forks (more likely 80-100mm), and for road use, you probably don't want a really slack headtube angle.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Voodoo Zombie is 470mm, a little heavier than the Surly, but much cheaper. It's a 29er 80mm / 26er 130mm suspension corrected fork.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer
    Voodoo Zombie is 470mm, a little heavier than the Surly, but much cheaper. It's a 29er 80mm / 26er 130mm suspension corrected fork.
    Though not v-brake compatible

OP, any hardtail with a 130mm fork will have a slack HT angle and a high BB. Since you plan on using it as a "hybrid" it is not going to hurt to run a shorter fork that steepens the HT angle and lowers the BB. I like the Kona P2 440mm fork

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...m=010435000103

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72

OP, any hardtail with a 130mm fork will have a slack HT angle and a high BB. Since you plan on using it as a "hybrid" it is not going to hurt to run a shorter fork that steepens the HT angle and lowers the BB. I like the Kona P2 440mm fork

There are two versions of it. One is disc brakes only, the other's with both options. It even comes with adjustable vbrake mounts for both 26er & 29er.
    http://www.voodoocycles.net/components.htm

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72

This seems like a great option, I will go with this. Thanks for the replies everyone

Members who have read this thread: 0