Is 40lb too heavy for a MTB to do trial trick?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Is 40lb too heavy for a MTB to do trial trick?

I have just bought a second hand MTB, DaBomb Chasis, with front RockShox , whole bike is about 40lb. I am a beginner and want to learn trial trick. I found the bike too heavy even to raise the front whell only. Is 40lb too heavy to do trial? What trick can this DaBomb MTB do? What trick should I first start? Thanks for answer.

mtbr member
    Which bike is it? 40 pounds seems a bit heavy to be doing much more than just going down hill, is it a Down Hill Bike?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This is one of those "your mileage may vary" kind of questions.

I know nothing of your strengths and capabilities.

For most ppl a 40 lb bike would be a bit much for trials'n.

It would be for me.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think if you're finding it to be too heavy to pick the front wheel up, you might have answered your own question...

mtbr member
    Could also depend on what stem/bar combo your running. If your trying to learn rear wheel hops and pedal kicks, a short DJ type stem can be very difficult to do any trials type moves. If you get a longer stem with rise, you may find that getting the front wheel up and actually bieng able to hold the wheel up may be easier.

When I was 1st learning trials about 7 or 8 years ago, I was learning on DJ rigs with too much suspension, and the basics were very very hard to learn. After riding all day my hands would hurt inbetween all my knuckles, my lower back would hurt, arms would be shot. Once I bought my 1st true trials bike, the differance was day and night.

Now after riding years and years of trials, I can do trials stuff on full blown downhill rigs, XC bikes, kids bikes, DJ's, hell anything with a decent rear brake and its on.

Check out these:

http://http://webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=17458&cat=451&page=1

Also if you really do want to pursue trials riding, and have some money to toss around, you will want to pick up a cheap entry level trials bike. There are a few on sale on Observedtrials.net
    http://observedtrials.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

If you also need help understanding trials moves and whatnot, go buy the DVD called "Mastering the Art of Trials" by Ryan Leech.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWong
    I have just bought a second hand MTB, DaBomb Chasis, with front RockShox , whole bike is about 40lb. I am a beginner and want to learn trial trick. I found the bike too heavy even to raise the front whell only. Is 40lb too heavy to do trial? What trick can this DaBomb MTB do? What trick should I first start? Thanks for answer.
    40lbs is a pig of a bike. I honestly would look for a used trials bike and keep the monster for big dirt jumps and riding downhill.

AZ
    banned
    Want to learn trials? Get a trials bike , 40 lbs. is too ungodly heavy to try to ride trials on .

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I really think I got a wrong bike. This bke with DaBomb chassis (seems very robust) is not for beginner, just too heavy It has a Pike suspension, just rear 8 speed, front and rear disc brake..I still have to stick to this bike as money is run out.
    Actually, what is the average weight of a trial MTB street bike for learning basic trick hopping etc?

I Have Cookies
    25-30lbs..........
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks. 25-30LB MTB, I guess would not be cheap. I now use that DaBomb MTB for daily rough riding, not for trial trick any more.

Members who have read this thread: 0