My bike is rusty..
    Jul 2012

3 craigslist bikes... Which one?

So tomorrow, I plan on paying someone to drive me out to the State College area to try out a few bikes. I attend Lock Haven University, so its about an hour drive from here to there. I found 3 bikes... I plan to try all of them, but I'd like to know which is the better bike. Component, frame geometry wise, etc. I plan to commute around campus on my bike but also use it as a weekend warrior for the trails. Nothing crazy... yet.

Heres the links:

Specialized hardrock
    Specialized Hardrock Mountain Bike (17.5'')

Jamis Allegro 1x
    Jamis Allegro 1x Hybrid

G. Fisher Tassajara
    Gary Fisher Tassajara Mountain Bike, Like New

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Specialized hardrock is 7 speed rear so will bend the axle on trails and need new rear wheel with 8-10 speed cassette and shifter. Also needs Rockshox XC 32TK fork 154 at bluesky
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork

This for a 600 offer is ready
    .Specialized Rockhopper 29er Expert

mtbr member
    My vote is for the Fisher. But they honestly look pretty similar in components. Unless you are planning mainly on commuting/paved, I wouldn't go with the Jamis hybrid.

My bike is rusty..
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Specialized hardrock is 7 speed rear so will bend the axle on trails and need new rear wheel with 8-10 speed cassette and shifter. Also needs Rockshox XC 32TK fork 154 at bluesky
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork

This for a 600 offer is ready
    .Specialized Rockhopper 29er Expert
    Yea, I don't know if you read my whole post, but I'm in college. A $600 bike is out of the question. Getting a $300 bike stolen is bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    My vote is for the Fisher. But they honestly look pretty similar in components. Unless you are planning mainly on commuting/paved, I wouldn't go with the Jamis hybrid.
    Any reason why?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This is what happens to a 7 speed freewheel bike on trails.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...me-812236.html

Because the freewheel design has a number of cogs outboard of any bearing there is nothing supporting the wheel on that side of the frame. When you repeatedly bang the rear on rocks , logs and over jumps your weight pushes up at that center bearing against the axle. And that interface takes all the torque from the pedaling force. The axle seems to bend right there. Once you start bending axles you've reached the level of performance where it's likely to repeat.
    Last edited by eb1888; 09-10-2012 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, the Fisher bike is an ACTUAL pic from the seller, not a stock photo from a website/online. I realize some people don't have camera access or a way to post a real pic, but real pic posts always get my vote first(nothing to hide, I can see it). Otherwise, they are the same bike pretty much. aluminum. Mountain typical geometry. Gearing & shifters & brakes the same(or close), same "new" price range($600 ish). A toss up really.

I wouldn't do the Jamis unless you plan on mainly commuting due to the more upright geometry and skinnier tires. Different usage bike really.

I have no idea about the 7 speed thing, I never had an axle/cassette/freewheel brake way issue and rode several 7 speeds for years under various conditions. But I am a girl, so there is only so much torque this 115lb 5'3" girl van muster.

mtbr member
    Like others have said, I would steer clear of that Jamis. It would be great around campus, but it won't be good for trails. In fact, it would likely be miserable on trails. Wrong tires, wrong geometry, etc.

The other two are a toss up. I would be more inclined toward the Specialized, because it's a lot newer. That Gary Fisher looks to be several years old.

However, they are different sizes, too. How tall are you? Chances are, one of those will be more comfortable to you than the other. Go with whichever one is more comfortable.

My bike is rusty..
    Jul 2012
    I'm 5' 8", so I think either would be ok. I would assume the 17.5" (Fisher) frame may fit me better.

mtbr member
    I would guess that, too, but sometimes it's tricky. If you have particularly long arms, you might like the 19 better.

If you're already planning to ride them both, you're headed in the right direction. Go with what feels better, ride the sh1t out of it, and you're all set. You'll have the urge to upgrade in no time!

My bike is rusty..
    Jul 2012
    I do have long arms for my height. I'll try them both. I know how that urge is, i own a Jeep Wrangler, so its in my blood now.

Members who have read this thread: 0