24 Speeds Needed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

24 Speeds Needed?

I find when I'm out on the bike (trails, road and light XC) I stay almost exclusively on the big ring. I also find that I sometimes don't have a high enough gear on flat roads or descents. I have been wondering lately how I could get a higher gear and how simple it would be.

Today I was watching the UCI MTB World Cup in Yorkshire and heard the commentators say that some of the riders had done away with the front mech altogether and just have a big ring up front - 1x10

Has anybody got any experience of this setup and how simple would it be to adopt this system on my GT Avalanche?

mtbr member
    Go up hills more...you will see more usage of the other rings.

AZ
    banned
    Yep , start your ride with a 2000 ft. climb and the value of a couple more chainrings shows itself .

May 2009
    I run a 1X9 with a 32 up front. I like it alot. Where I ride dosent have much flat though.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

Teen Wolf
    1x9's are super popular, or do singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I went 1x9 last year and love it. But it make a difference as to what the terrain you are riding is like.

mtbr member
    i could get rid of my big ring up front and i mostly ride in the small and middle ring, it seems out of the 24 speed that are available to me, i only use 6
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, I think a 1x9 setup would work fine for me. Next ride I go on I'm gonna try not using the front shifters at all and see how I get on. Throw in some hills etc, although when I go on hills now I stay pretty much on the big ring and just knock the rear down to mid-cassette.

What would I have to do to implement this - is it just a case of removing the front mech/derailers? Seems like a win win. less weight, fewer things to go wrong and more space on my handlebars.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    U R a BEAST!

Go ride 50-100 miles in some hilly country and post again please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This thread was a simple request from other users as to their experiences using one ring on the front. Any salient advice they could offer on implementing such a system and what I would need to do to get a higher gear ratio..

Comments such as 'you're doing it wrong' or 'move to another country' are not useful. If you have a constructive comment then please feel free to share it.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    to get a higher gear you need to get a bigger tooth count on your front ring - but in doing so you will be giving up clearance on your sawblade....so rocks/logs may (will) contact/bend/scrape/bounce over obstacles a whole lot more....

you can also switch to a 29" bike....that'll up the gearing without giving up aforementioned clearance issues...

my .02
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Disgruntled Peccary
    You're not going to have as big a big ring as on a road bike, you could see if you can get a 54 etc.. but while that will keep you from spinning out on flats and descents, it's pretty drastically different from the 1x9/1x10 setups... and as I recall.. Yorks isn't the flattest place on earth.
    mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks Chum & Dysfunction

This is all speculative for now till I have a bit more cash to spend. I'm definitely looking at a single on the front and maybe a slightly larger cog too. I'll visit the LBS to see options.

Members who have read this thread: 0