20mm through axle questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

20mm through axle questions

My fork is a Tora 130mm with quick release dropouts. I broke one of my wifes wheels so I am going to give here my wheelset and am considering ordering a set of the transition revolution wheels with the 20mm axle for my bike. Will these wheels work with my fork? The frame is a Vagrant so I assume that they will work with the rear dropouts on the frame, I'm just worried about the fork. Thanks for any advice.

jeff
    www.madkobayashi.com
    www.shorelinecycleworld.com
    06 Transition Vagrant
    08 Gaint Reign X1

I post too much.
    a 20mm through axle has to do with the front dropouts, those on the fork, so it doesn't matter at all which frame this is going on.

For the frame you want the proper axle diameter and proper spacing, common measurements are:

14x110mm(BMX)
    10x135mm(most MTB hardtail frames)
    12x135mm(not as common, but can be seen on a few frames)
    12x150mm(seen on downhill and freeride bike more often than not)

A 20mm axle will NOT work in a quick release fork(which is 9mm, by the way, big difference), quick release forks are also spaced 100mm, whereas 20mm forks are spaced 110mm, so it's a no go.

Transition revolutions are a heavy duty wheelset, for heavy duty riding, for normal trail riding I'd steer you away from those in a hurry, they are way too heavy and will slow you down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for your help. I do a bit of jumping and some drops as well so I was thinking if they would fit I would just bite the bullett on the wheels now with thoughts of bigger jumps and drops to come. Looks like they may be a bit heavy for what I will ever be able to do so I will start looking a more of an all mountain style wheelset. Maybe the all mountain version of the transition revolution. Their AM wheel is 25mm wide instead of 32/36 and may be a better fit for me (I'm 6'2" - 212). What do you think? Thanks

jeff
    www.madkobayashi.com
    06 Transition Vagrant
    08 Gaint Reign X1

I post too much.
    The all mountain ones are already a much lighter option. Keep them in check by keeping the spokes tensionned and they should last you quite a few jumps and drops.

You could also go with a custom built wheelset, where you choose your rim hub and spoke combination. It ends up being a bit more expensive, but you get exactly what you want that way in terms of weight and strength.

Edit: just took a look at your website. Did you contact your manufacturer to be sure you could run 130mm on a frame made around 80mm? In most cases this would void your warranty as it dramatically reduces the strength of the head-tube and downtube weld, which could literally break in half. If your manufacturer's okay with it then perfect, if not well... By the way, more travel isn't always better, I jump and drop a whole lot and I only run 65mm of travel(you can see my bike in my profile). Quality of the travel's damping is what matters the most.

Oh and congrats on getting the S.O. riding, I've been trying for years without sucess!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I didnt contact Trek when I bought the fork for my 6500 SLR frame, I just ran it at about 100mm since it was the U-turn adjustable. Now that I have the Transition Vagrant frame I run the fork at 130mm which they suggested would be about right for the riding I like to do without getting the head tube to far up and making the bike like a chopper. Sometimes if I know I have a long climb ahead, I turn it down to about 100-110mm to improve my pedaling position on the bike.

Honestly I wouldnt even know where to start with a custom wheelset. I thought about that last night and did some research here, but it just made me more confused . . I think. In some cases one person will say this hub or rim combo sucks while another person will have the opposite view. My budget is about $280-$300 and I am looking at a couple of wheelsets now. I have to order them today because we have a big ride coming up next weekend and I want to make sure they get here on time. Below is the list.

Transition Revolution AM $279
    This Sun Ringle set from Jenson which is $289 but MSRP is $425
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...lset+2007.aspx
    Azonic Outlaw $249 from Jenson

This is pretty much where I stand right now because of budget.

Getting my wife to ride was easy. We're pretty active and she knew I used to ride in the past so she actually suggested that we get some. I'm very lucky.

Thanks a lot for your help with this. I really do appreciate it.

jeff
    www.madkobayashi.com
    06 Transition Vagrant
    08 Gaint Reign X1

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Kobayashi
    I didnt contact Trek when I bought the fork for my 6500 SLR frame, I just ran it at about 100mm since it was the U-turn adjustable. Now that I have the Transition Vagrant frame I run the fork at 130mm which they suggested would be about right for the riding I like to do without getting the head tube to far up and making the bike like a chopper. Sometimes if I know I have a long climb ahead, I turn it down to about 100-110mm to improve my pedaling position on the bike.

Honestly I wouldnt even know where to start with a custom wheelset. I thought about that last night and did some research here, but it just made me more confused . . I think. In some cases one person will say this hub or rim combo sucks while another person will have the opposite view. My budget is about $280-$300 and I am looking at a couple of wheelsets now. I have to order them today because we have a big ride coming up next weekend and I want to make sure they get here on time. Below is the list.

Transition Revolution AM $279
    This Sun Ringle set from Jenson which is $289 but MSRP is $425
    Azonic Outlaw $249 from Jenson

This is pretty much where I stand right now because of budget.

Getting my wife to ride was easy. We're pretty active and she knew I used to ride in the past so she actually suggested that we get some. I'm very lucky.

Thanks a lot for your help with this. I really do appreciate it.

jeff
    IMHO, the Sun Chargers suck, and I'm usually a die hard Sun fan. The Revolutions and Outlaws are both good, and the Azonics are convertible between 9mm QR/20mm thruaxle, so they will still work if [when ] you decide to switch to a fork with a 20mm axle.

Just thought I'd throw this deal out there, to save you a few $$$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AZONIC-OUTLA...QQcmdZViewItem

That should fit nicely. All the other results were for a 150mm rear dropout spacing.

Oh, and that's where I bought my Outlaws, so they're a legit ebayer.

Good Luck,
    Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

I post too much.
    The outlaws are a pretty good wheelset, very strong with a decently light rim. Very versatile as well.

There are a few reported issues of the freehub body seizing up, but I hear azonic is pretty good with their warranty stuff.

A Rhyno Lite XL mated to a XT hub could be an option as well, cheap yet decently strong if built well.

Members who have read this thread: 0