2017 Cannondale Habit 4 or 2018 Intense Spider Alloy or 2018 Giant Trance 2.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

2017 Cannondale Habit 4 or 2018 Intense Spider Alloy or 2018 Giant Trance 2.

I am getting into mountain biking and want to get a new bike. I am looking into a 2017 Cannondale Habit 4 or 2018 Intense Spider Alloy or 2018 Giant Trance 2. I would like to get something that can I can grow into. I don't plan on being too aggressive. Injuries are harder to recover from when your older. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Whatever cannondales I've demoed just didn't excite me. Don't know much about Intense, but the Giant is a very good bike for the money. I rode a friend's 2018 trance 2- felt really good. Also, it accepts up to 2.6 wide tires which is a big plus (no pun intended). Make sure you demo some bikes before you spend the cash if possible. Any others you're looking at? Curious what your budget is.. lots of good used bikes too if you wanna go that route.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for your input. My budget is around $2k. I am also looking at The Canyon Spectral and the YT Jeffsy. I just want something I can grow with. My riding will not be too aggressive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If you can get the Trance 2 in your budget that's a good choice. The Spectral gets decent reviews but I've heard some complaints about the rear hub engaging too slowly.. maybe not a deal breaker but that'd be annoying to me. It's also heavier. Don't know enough about the Jeffsey..looks like a good bike and a lot for the money.. it's just a little bit more difficult not being able to demo first, but might not matter to you. I'd look up reviews on the YT in 27.5 form if that's the one you're looking at. Good luck. Btw, don't know your age but I'm almost 51..got back into the sport a few years ago and love it. Welcome to mountain biking!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    That’s great help. We’re the same age too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Go with the Intense Spider. Intense is well known as a very high quality brand. The geometry and low weight on that will allow you to go faster and have more fun. On the climbs, you'll be cruising instead of struggling. Plus, it's the cheapest option. My dad loves his Intense Tracer and is really impressed with how it feels compared to other bikes so I would highly recommend Intense.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I looked up that Intense.. the Giant is a much better bike. That Spider has an outdated Revelation fork and the frame on that thing is 7.7lbs. Look up the review that MBR did on the 2018 Trance 2.. maybe that'll sway you. Not trying to go against someone else's opinion, but to me the Trance is a no brainier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Also better drivetrain, dropper post and brakes..not to mention a fox 34 fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Now that I look at it more closely, you're right. I am fairly new to mountain biking and my dad has always preferred brands like Intense or Fezzari to the mainstream brands like Giant or Specialized so I kind of have a bias towards those. Next time I just need to look at the components and spec more closely.