Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2011 Giant Reign 0 or 2011 Avanti Torrent 2?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DiRt DeViL 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new bike but as i do not have a lot of funds, i must go second hand. The Reign is $1800 and the Avanti is $100 cheaper and both are in immaculate condition. My type of riding is very all-mountain type but i do like to hit jumps often.

#5 ·
The Avanti appears to be a faux bar (glorified single pivot) rear suspension design. They have their pros and cons. They can be very laterally stiff, and the suspension can be pretty plush when descending when you're off the brakes. Many can behave well while climbing with a platform shock of some kind. With all of the more sophisticated suspension designs available these days, the single pivot's tendency to lock out the plushness from the rear end while descending with brakes on makes it hard to recommend over a bike such as the Giant Reign.

The Reign's Maestro suspension is pretty good all around, and much better if you're on the binders headed downhill. It climbs pretty well too. That review of the Avanti mentions Enduro bearings in the pivots. If you do get the Reign, I would replace the very top pivot bearings with Enduro bearings. The others don't seem to matter, but the top one does. It's not particularly difficult to do if you have some skills and tools, but better and easier to do it first rather than wait until they die a grisly death.

That top pivot bearing is the only downside to the Reign that I can think of and it can be remedied fairly easily. They are otherwise very stout and can take quite a beatdown for many years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.