2011 GF by Trek Wahoo vs. 2009 Giant xtc 2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New question here. 2011 GF by Trek Wahoo vs. 2009 Giant xtc 2?

Hey everybody! I'm a total n00b to mountain biking and want to start riding seriously. I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm trying to decide on a beginners mountain bike.
    I'm trying to decide on a new hardtail and i would like your opinions on these two bikes.

2011 Wahoo I can get for $700
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ardtail/wahoo/

2009 XTC 2 I can get for $600
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/...in/2593/32905/

Please tell me which one is better in terms of components (obviously the giant has mechanical brakes while the wahoo has hydros), frame durability and such (weight isn't really an issue).
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Kamil; 04-22-2011 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    anybody?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have no experience on the Giant but I have the 2011 Wahoo and I love it. Hydro brakes are amazing, much better than mechanical brakes I had experienced. It shifts flawlessly (as long as the cables are adjusted correctly) and it is geared perfect. I don't have the knowledge to compare it to the Giant but I can say that you would love it if you rode it. This is my first non-walmart mountain bike and it is definately worth the money. I have ridden mine almost every day since I got it. The colors are awesome too

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey thanks for relying!
    I'm glad you enjoy it, and it is hopefully going to be my "first non-walmart" bike too.
    Thank you very much for you input

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Between those two bikes I'd say the Wahoo is a better deal, if the xtc2 was maybe $450 then it would be more of a toss up, the Giant was $870 in 2009, so even if it's sitting on a showroom floor never ridden I would say $600 is really good of a deal).

If you're comparing same year models (of entry level bikes) the main thing is that it fits you. Even though the components will vary between models they'll be so close that you could base your final decision on the color scheme and be fine as long as it fits. Two things worth noting though..... The RockShox Dart 3 is a (slightly) better fork than many of the Suntours and don't be lured in too heavily by one bike having hydro brakes instead of mechanical, pricey hydros are great but on the lower end they're not always better than mechs. Especially if you're comparing cheap hydros to Avid BB5 mechs.

The differences aren't really that huge in reality, so as long as the bike fits I'd say go for the one that "speaks" to you when you sit on it and you'll be a happy camper. One thing to think about with the Wahoo, they do have a slightly different front end geometry with their special offset forks so you should try to really pay attention to how it handles compared to a similiar spec'd out Giant/Specialized/trek, etc..

You didn't mention other bikes but just to throw out there... The base model Specialized Rockhopper is $720 and is spec'd close to same as Wahoo (same shifters, rear derailleur, cassette), the Suntour XCR fork is a *slight* step up from the XCM on the Wahoo and it comes with Avid BB5 mech brakes. Personally I'd go with BB5's over hydros on most sub $1k bikes.

Of course, you could just pick the one that "looks the coolest" to you that fits in your budget and it will be the right bike for you.

Larry

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wow thanks Larry! That was really insightful. As for the specialized, my lbs doesn't carry them and the nearest one is in the next city about half an hour away, and unfortunately being a teenager its not worth my time and efforts going there . Although I would have loved to try the new red/white rockhopper, it looks awesome.

I guess the only thing left to do is go ride them both and see which one fits better!

Thanks again guys

Members who have read this thread: 0