2007 Gary Fisher Cobia- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

2007 Gary Fisher Cobia

I've been looking for a decent beginner bike for my son who is 6'4, 34 inch inseam, 135lbs. I was hoping to stay around the $500 range. I recently found a 2007 Gary Fisher Cobia, 21 inch for $425 and I wondered if this was a decent price for the bike and if it's a decent bike for a beginner?
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

Fat-tired Roadie
    BikePedia - 2007 Gary Fisher Cobia Complete Bicycle

Price is highly dependent on condition. If it's in good shape, that's less than half of retail. Granted, retail was six years ago. But bike prices have been going crazy since then. Good luck finding a bike with that build and a "real" fork for $1000 now. I might try to bargain a seller down further, or I might decide that to hell with it, life's too short.

If it's in bad shape, all bets are off. It could be chewed to the point of being worth $200 or less. What kind of seller is it? How comfortable evaluating the mechanical condition of a bike are you?

Given your son's size and the sizes that bike came in, I don't think you'll do better on that aspect. So again - all about condition.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here's the listing Gary Fisher 29er Disc I asked what he was willing to go down to and we're at $425. I'm vague on the mechanical side. I can obviously tell if it shifts smooth and if the brakes are working by trying it out, but I'm only 5'3 so there's no way I can take it for a "real" ride. I might be able to ask a friend to come with me or maybe they would allow me to take it to my shop wrench for evaluation.
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest

mtbr member
    Always hard to tell from pics alone, but at first blush it looks like a very clean, low wear bike. I'd consider this a square deal.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Given that you've already had some movement on the price, I doubt you're doing much better. I agree with the above poster - looks incredibly clean. Including the tires, the dork disc, the saddle and the grips - places where wear is likely to show up first.

IME, if a bike rides and shifts smoothly and the chain is in good shape, it's probably good. So you could measure the chain for wear, or just go for it. Here's a link on chain wear.
    Chain Maintenance

It certainly seems very promising. Your son is going to be stoked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks everyone for the advice/opinion! It's a 21st birthday present for him. He'll be home in May for the summer. Hoping to find him a road bike in the same price range. We ride both and he wants to try both with us. Though we and I think he will enjoy MTB better.
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Jesus, i'm more intrigued by the fact you're 6'4 weighing 135 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keith421 View Post
    Name:  34442703.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  206.1 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Re: 2007 Gary Fisher Cobia

Quote Originally Posted by keith421 View Post
    Not me, my son. He's 20 and eats, but doesn't gain. His dad was like that until he turned 30.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest

Fat-tired Roadie
    I had that metabolism for a while. Eating a ton (like 5000 calories!) and pumping iron helped.

Now, I have to watch my portion sizes. Adulthood is mostly good, but I wish I could stay magically 145 lb no matter how much I ate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ditto! It all went downhill after kids for me. I last year I lost 60lbs and would like to/need to lose 10 more.

I tell my son it's better and easier to get healthy now than to wait until you've gotten fat and out of shape. I would like to see a few more pounds on him, but I think that will come with age. He'll be 21 in May.
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest

Members who have read this thread: 0