2007 Fisher Wahoo or new Trek 3500?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

2007 Fisher Wahoo or new Trek 3500?

I'm trying to decide what to get for my first bike. I found this:

http://mobile.craigslist.org/bik/2258933282.html

Not sure if link is gonna work so its the 07 GF Wahoo that guy says has been off road 3 times for $350. Is this a fair price? If not, what should I offer?

OR

Infinity Bikes right around the corner has a new Trek 3500 for $359.99. Keep in mind I haven't ridden either one. I'm just trying to get an idea of what y'all think beforehand.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Since you're a stinking Auburn Tigers fan...... Just kidding.

Judging from the pic, the wahoo looks like a fairly small bike. How tall are you? A recent model used bike like that can be a bargain (if the price is right), but don't waste your time on bikes that are the wrong size.

Fat-tired Roadie
    He's asking too much for the Wahoo.

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...ahoo&Type=bike

In '07, the non-disc Wahoo was a $440 bike. The rule of thumb is that bikes drop about 50% of their value when you roll them out of the shop, kind of like cars. Tuned, from a shop specializing in used bikes, I could see $250. From "some guy" on Craig's List, it's not worth that much. If you want to debate it, try $200. If you don't want to deal with it, just move on.

Don't buy the 3500. It uses a suspension fork of a size no longer speced on mid-range bikes, or even most other entry-level bikes, and has a 7-speed freewheel, a part notorious for requiring a very fragile hub design. The hubs, on that note, are garbage. I have a similar set. They don't have seals, making riding in the rain or on dirt a bad idea. Kinda defeats the purpose of a MTB.

If someone put a gun to my head and said, "Choose," I'd probably go with the Fisher. Otherwise, I'd phone around to some used shops and ask about what I could get for $350. It's less hassle than Craig's List, IME, and a good shop should stand behind their sales, at least for the first month or so. On the used market, from a shop, I'd expect $350 to buy you something that retailed for $600 or $700. You also need to hop on several different bikes to get a sense of how they fit. Used shops often have enough on the floor for you to get enough information to make some kind of informed decision.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Offered CL guy $200 for the Fisher and he said he couldn't go below $300. It is a 17.5 and I am about 5' 10" 210 lbs. Is that too small?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I guess my other option would be a Giant Revel 2 from the other LBS in my area. Would this be a better option than the Trek 3500. I need to stay under $400 and I don't feel comfortable buying over the internet.

mtbr member
    Yes I think the revel 2 is better dollar for dollar. The 3500 has a 63mm fork and the revel 2 has a 100mm travel fork.
    EMAW

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah, a 17.5 wahoo would probably be a good size. Still overpriced though. Keep looking used. New bikes in your budget aren't anything to write home about.

I'd rather have this yukon if it's the right size and in decent shape. Check it out on bikepedia (link in post 3).

http://mobile.craigslist.org/bik/2253365155.html

Edit - Never mind about this Yukon. The only red/white color scheme I could find with a quick search a bikepedia shows up as a 2003 model. This is something you have to watch for on CL. The age is often misrepresented.
    Last edited by rlouder; 03-14-2011 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    Yeah, a 17.5 wahoo would probably be a good size. Still overpriced though. Keep looking used. New bikes in your budget aren't anything to write home about.

I'd rather have this yukon if it's the right size and in decent shape. Check it out on bikepedia (link in post 3).

http://mobile.craigslist.org/bik/2253365155.html

Edit - Never mind about this Yukon. The only red/white color scheme I could find with a quick search a bikepedia shows up as a 2003 model. This is something you have to watch for on CL. The age is often misrepresented.

wow thanks, i somehow totally missed that ad on CL. Just sent an email. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmmm ok I guess no go on that one too... I guess ill call all the bike shops around and see if they have any of last years models or something. Or should I try bikesdirect? That just kinda worries me because of my complete lack of knowledge... if u had to pick a bike on bd.com under $400 which would u choose? Moto 400? Thanks again!

Fat-tired Roadie
    In the Revel, I'd try to go to at least the Revel 1. Mainly for the better rear hub.

On BD... dunno. They have a GT Avalanche 2.0 for your price. Maybe the Gravity Basecamp 2.0 - it's shaped like a bike for an athletic adult, which is cool because a lot of bikes at that pricepoint have short top tubes for their size. I might e-mail BD and ask them for the amounts of travel on the forks on the different ones you're interested in, if the description is vague or missing. That can effect compatibility later.

Nashbar.com and performancebike.com are a couple other catalogs carrying complete bikes that they'll sell online.

I really think a used bike, locally, is the best way to go if you can find one. $400 can go a pretty long way on used bikes, while with new bikes, it doesn't get you much at all. Fit is actually a really important part of buying a bike, and if you don't already know your fit numbers, buying online can be a bit of a risk.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Avalanche 2.0 - for sure. That's a sharp bike with good components. You occasionally see the cheaper 3.0 for that price on clearance sales, but not that model.

First time I've seen a GT on BD.

mtbr member
    Looks like BD only has XS, XL and XXL. Bet you'll need either a Med or Large.
    Probably why they are priced so well is do to the sizes available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    War Eagle

Not sure how good of a deal it may or may not be, but there's a 2000 Rockhopper FSR on the Bham craigslist for $400. Retailed for $890, I believe. The seller emailed me back last night with some of the specs, it seemed to be all stock compared to bikepedia. No idea on the frame size, but he said he's 6' and it fit him well.

I'm tempted to buy it, but at 6'4, I'm not sure it would work (without knowing the frame size). Plus, I'm needing a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    He's asking too much for the Wahoo.

Don't buy the 3500. It uses a suspension fork of a size no longer speced on mid-range bikes, or even most other entry-level bikes, and has a 7-speed freewheel, a part notorious for requiring a very fragile hub design. The hubs, on that note, are garbage. I have a similar set. They don't have seals, making riding in the rain or on dirt a bad idea. Kinda defeats the purpose of a MTB.
    Here's what I think - its pretty obvious that AndrwSwitch knows a lot about mountain biking, and he's probably right about the fork and hub, however...

Don't let that stop you from buying the Trek, if that is all you can afford.

I owned a 2009 Trek 820, which has very similar specs to the 3500, except it has steel, rather than aluminum frame. I loved that bike. I didn't have an odometer, but I probably rode that bike around 1500 miles, maybe more. I didn't have any problems with it.

Most of those miles were put on riding on paved roads and dirt trails - I only took it offroading once, right before I sold it, but it did fine.

And that's the key word here - before I SOLD it.

I paid just over $300 for the bike and I sold it for about $165. You don't need to upgrade a bike after you have used the crap out of it and are ready for a more advanced bike - you can simply sell it and buy a better bike!

Let's say you buy the 3500 for $400, ride it for a year, and sell it for $200. That means you paid $200 for a bike that lasted for a year, and you have $200 toward your next bike! At that point, a $600 bike becomes a $400 bike!

Ultimately, go for the bike that fits the best and that is most comfortable. I will say that the Revel is a better bike than the 3500 but you don't need to get the more expensive model with the better brakes and componets - the basic model is fine to get your feet wet.

So...no disrespect to AndrwSwitch, as he obviously know A LOT about mountain biking and really helps a lot of people out, but realize that you aren't going to get a Porche when all you can afford is a Chevy.

As far as the Trek 3500 goes, you can read the reviews here - yes, there are a couple of disgruntled folks who hated it, but most reviews are positive:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../3500/#reviews

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip
    Here's what I think - its pretty obvious that AndrwSwitch knows a lot about mountain biking, and he's probably right about the fork and hub, however...

Don't let that stop you from buying the Trek, if that is all you can afford.

I owned a 2009 Trek 820, which has very similar specs to the 3500, except it has steel, rather than aluminum frame. I loved that bike. I didn't have an odometer, but I probably rode that bike around 1500 miles, maybe more. I didn't have any problems with it.

Most of those miles were put on riding on paved roads and dirt trails - I only took it offroading once, right before I sold it, but it did fine.

And that's the key word here - before I SOLD it.

I paid just over $300 for the bike and I sold it for about $165. You don't need to upgrade a bike after you have used the crap out of it and are ready for a more advanced bike - you can simply sell it and buy a better bike!

Let's say you buy the 3500 for $400, ride it for a year, and sell it for $200. That means you paid $200 for a bike that lasted for a year, and you have $200 toward your next bike! At that point, a $600 bike becomes a $400 bike!

Ultimately, go for the bike that fits the best and that is most comfortable. I will say that the Revel is a better bike than the 3500 but you don't need to get the more expensive model with the better brakes and componets - the basic model is fine to get your feet wet.

So...no disrespect to AndrwSwitch, as he obviously know A LOT about mountain biking and really helps a lot of people out, but realize that you aren't going to get a Porche when all you can afford is a Chevy.

As far as the Trek 3500 goes, you can read the reviews here - yes, there are a couple of disgruntled folks who hated it, but most reviews are positive:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../3500/#reviews
    I have a very old Trek 820 that I loved and used off road quite a bit. I beat the living crap out of it and it kept going. I had that bike when I was a kid so you can imagine the abuse it went thru. I was so pleased with that bike that I got a 2011 Trek 4300 about a month ago and loving it so far.
    Mid 90's Trek 820
    2011 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also found this bike not too far from where I live. Would the medium be too small for me? I'm 5' 10.5" ~210 lbs

http://mobile.craigslist.org/bik/2214994119.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTigers10
    Also found this bike not too far from where I live. Would the medium be too small for me? I'm 5' 10.5" ~210 lbs

http://mobile.craigslist.org/bik/2214994119.html
    Oh, a kick stand, you don't see that too often.
    Mid 90's Trek 820
    2011 Trek 4300

Fat-tired Roadie
    5'10" tends to be borderline for a "medium" bike with traditional XC geometry and a fairly athletic rider of average proportions.

Bikepedia says that bike retailed for $380 in 2008. Bikepedia is not infallible - the price seems a little low for retail, even with V-brakes. Anyway, I think it's a little better bike than the Trek, but not as nice as the Fisher.

Do you have any used shops in your area? Even if you don't, you should visit a shop and hop on a bunch of different bikes. Pay attention to the brands and sizes, and see if you can get a sense of the size bike that you like in terms of fit. If you do have a used shop, I'd say buy your favorite; otherwise, at least you can cherrypick your local Craig's List for bikes within a smaller band of sizes, and save a trip for the ones you know won't fit right.

IMO, too small is not quite as bad as too big. You can put a longer stem on a too-small bike, although it's not great for the handling after a point. A too big bike isn't getting any shorter.

It's certainly true that you can't have a porsche for Kia prices. The goal is something along the lines of a late-80's to early 90's Miata or Z-car. It takes some patience, but is feasible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I didn't notice the gt was only available in odd sizes. It's getting the time of year where it's going to be hard to find any deals unless you're very patient waiting on a cl listing.

You may want to take a look at the Forge Sawback. It's a better than any of the other bikes that have been mentioned and twice as good as the 3500. The downside is that it's an internet bike. I would choose it over any of the BD bikes under 400.

Since I own one, I can tell you that you would need a 19". The effective top tube is about 23.3". If you search, you will find loads of info on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    I didn't notice the gt was only available in odd sizes. It's getting the time of year where it's going to be hard to find any deals unless you're very patient waiting on a cl listing.

You may want to take a look at the Forge Sawback. It's a better than any of the other bikes that have been mentioned and twice as good as the 3500. The downside is that it's an internet bike. I would choose it over any of the BD bikes under 400.

Since I own one, I can tell you that you would need a 19". The effective top tube is about 23.3". If you search, you will find loads of info on it.
    Ok so i guess target is about the only place to get one? I looked into it and it looks like it would be about $460 with shipping and tax... A little steep..
    Last edited by AUTigers10; 03-15-2011 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think I've decided on a 19" Forge Sawback 5xx b/c I have a friend that can teach/help me set the bike up for me and it seems the components are unmatched by anything I've looked at so far. The only problem is, with shipping, I'm over my budget by a little too much... Target says they put random items on free shipping. I've searched and searched for promo codes and whatnot. Anyone know of anyway to get the price down a bit?

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Have you ordered the bike yet? I've heard many mixed things about that bike, and I think it'd be a good idea to read up on anything you can find about it first.

Are there any used bike stores or bike co-ops in your area? I really think hitting something like that up would probably be the best way to stretch your dollar.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GFAthens
    Have you ordered the bike yet? I've heard many mixed things about that bike, and I think it'd be a good idea to read up on anything you can find about it first.

Are there any used bike stores or bike co-ops in your area? I really think hitting something like that up would probably be the best way to stretch your dollar.
    No there are not, I wish! I've been scouring craig's list for 3 weeks and I'm tired of waiting. Seems like this is a bad time to be looking b/c the weather is fantastic right now. Also everything I have found is grossly over priced.

I've read up on the Sawback, and almost everything I find says it's an awesome value

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If the forge is maxing your budget, look for something else. Unless you already have them, you're going to need a helmet, water bottle and cage or hydration pack.... All this stuff adds up. Perhaps the person with the wahoo will soften up on price if he doesn't sell it in a few days. 250 wouldn't be a great price, but if you like the bike.....

Some people have been able to get a 10% off the forge using AAA. Don't know if it still exists or how it works. I'm surprised they haven't increased the price since other bike prices are rising so much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Wahoo sold yesterday so that's out of the picture. I think I'm going to wait til Monday and see if the Sawback goes on the free shipping deal that target.com has. They rotate items every week, and about 1/3 of their bikes are on there now so maybe I'll win in free shipping roulette. Thanks again for all of your help! This is the most helpful forum I have ever been a part of and I truly am very grateful.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTigers10
    Also everything I have found is grossly over priced.
    That happens a lot with CL bikes. People tend to think that their used bike is worth lots more than it is. Thats why bike co ops and such are nice, they usually know the value of the bike pretty well, but sounds like thats not an option here.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bummer about the bike coops in your area. And yeah - Craig's List can be pretty frustrating. My lack of enthusiasm for dealing with it, and lack of time, was part of why I bought a new bike when I got my current MTB a couple of years ago.

I think you're on the right track with the Forge 5xx. I'd guess you for a 19" - from what I've heard, they run to a short top tube.

There are a couple of other choices you might look at at that budget. The Diamondback Response, from big box sporting goods stores, and the Northrock XC6, available from Costco, are well-regarded, for their pricepoint, on this site. I don't think either has as good a spec. as the Forge, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ok, so I'm still looking... Nada from CL lately and still no free shipping on the Sawback 5xx, so I think I'm going to buy new. I've done a ton of research in the last week or so, and I'm thinking the Dawes Haymaker 1500 at $419 seems like a great value. I have a buddy that would help me assemble/tune for free so no added cost of going to lbs to get it set up. Does anyone have any experience with Dawes? Pros and cons?

This has been a harder decision than buying a car! Thanks for any help!

Fat-tired Roadie
    The sizing issue is still a problem, but frankly it's hard to get it right by test-riding the first time too. Almost all of BD's bikes are really ordered by them, from one manufacturer (with a good reputation) and then they stick a brand on it. The brands they use are generally brand names they bought - the existence of a Dawes on bikesdirect implies to me that the real Dawes has folded.

I bumped into a guy on the trail yesterday on a bikesdirect bike. It's a real bike, with a better component spec. than you'll find elsewhere at that price. The spec. is a little uneven, to me, but nothing you can't fix if you have to.

I'd say that your odds of having to buy a new bike or frame in a year due to a size problem are a bit worse buying online, but like I said - a lot of people screw it up buying from a shop too, especially the shops with bikes at that price. So, go for it. A new frame doesn't have to cost that much if you need one later, and it'll be later, so you can at least spread out the cost a little more. And maybe you'll get it right on the size.

Members who have read this thread: 0