2005 Santa Cruz Blur rear shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2005 Santa Cruz Blur rear shock

I am negotiating with a local guy on a '05 Santa Cruz Blur that is in good condition except for the 5th Element Air shock having loose bushings. Most of the reviews say this shock is crap anyway, so I am looking for recommendations on a good shock to replace this one with, or should I just replace the bushings and keep the stock shock?
    I need to determine about what it is going to cost to replace the shock before I can decide on the value of the bike.

What say you?

Wayne

T.W.O.
    You'll need 7.875"x 2 good news is it's quite common. Rockshox monach 4.2 used is about $100-150. Fox Rp23 is about 200-300 and any other fox model in the same size falls somewhere in between. You may need a mounting kit that may cost $15-20. 5th element has different mounting than other shock so you'd need it for sure.

You can get a cheap like this one hopefully it ends under $100 then later you can send it to push industry tune it up for about $160,you'd have yourself a custom tune shock cheaper than a brand new shock. You don't need lock out on Santa Cruz Vpp suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thank you sir! That is the info I needed.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Google Push industries and take a look at their custom-tuned Monarch shocks. The issue with a used shock is there's a pretty good chance it's in need of a rebuild. They also come in multiple "flavors" from the factory (firm, medium, soft).

By the time you service it, you're a good ways toward a new shock custom-tuned for your weight and riding style. I have a Pushed rp23 on my Blur but will be picking up a Monarch for my Camber when my truck is paid off at the end of the month.

Members who have read this thread: 0