mtbr member

08 trek 6000 vs. GT avalanche 2.0

Im going to be buying my first 'real' mountain bike sometime in the next week or two. Through internet searching I've narrowed my choices down to 2 bikes that i think look cool They also seem to be pretty good bargains. I'm going to test ride both of them this week, but also want to know what you guys think. I really don't think either is going to stand out considerably just from the test ride.

The problem is the only mountain bike I have experience with is a mid 90's trek. Its a pretty good bike but it has no suspension and it shifts like a piece of you know what.

Im particuarly interested in how the frames would compare to each other (ill probably be upgrading this particular frame for quite awhile before getting a new bike) and how the derailleurs compare (Ive put up with slow clunky shifting for long enough). I'd also like to hear about the forks, because this would be my first bike with a suspension.

Can you guys break these bikes down for me and give me a better idea of wether or not they are worth it. If you guys absolutely don't think I should be getting either one then I'd like to hear your opinions for other choices.

Trek 6000 in black - looks pretty sweet, right?
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...6_series/6000/

Frameset
    Sizes 15.5, 17.5, 19.5, 21.5"
    Frame Alpha Black Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, hydroformed bi-axial down tube and top tube, monostay seat stays, forged disc ready dropouts
    Front Suspension RockShox Dart 3 w/preload, lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm Wheels
    Wheels Shimano M475 disc hubs; Bontrager Ranger rims
    Tires Bontrager Jones ACX, 26x2.1"; 27 tpi
    Drivetrain
    Shifters SRAM X-5, 9 speed
    Front Derailleur SRAM X-5
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X-5
    Crank Shimano M442 Octalink 44/32/22
    Cassette SRAM PG950 11-34, 9 speed
    Pedals Alloy platform
    Components
    Saddle Bontrager Race Basic
    Seat Post Bontrager Sport
    Handlebars Bontrager Crowbar Sport, 25mm rise
    Stem Bontrager Sport, 10 degree
    Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
    Brakeset Avid BB-5, mechanical disc w/alloy levers

GT Avalanche 2.0
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/de...ry&&id=17#5597
    Frame
    GT Triple Triangle design 6061 butted aluminum with hydroformed downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with removeable der. Hanger
    Fork
    Suntour XCR-LO hydraulic fork with cr-mo 30 mm stanchions, magnesium lowers, preload adjust, 100 mm of travel and lock out
    Crankset Shimano FC-M341 42/32/22, octalink interface
    Bearings Shimano Octalink Cartridge Sealed
    Pedals ATB Resin body, Steel cage, toe clip compatible

Front Derailleur Shimano M -330
    Rear Derailleur Deore M-531 lo-normal
    Shifters Shimano Alivio 8 speed rapidfire shifters
    Rear Cogs Shimano Eight Speed, 11-32 ratio
    Chain IG-31
    Rims Alloy double wall ATB
    Tires Kenda Nevegal, 26 x 2.1
    Front Hub Alloy QR for Disc
    Rear Hub Shimano 8 speed Cassette with QR for Disc
    Spokes Stainless steel 14 gauge
    Nipples Brass CP
    Brakes Tektro Aquila, forged caliper with dial adjust pad centering; Alloy with reach adjust for linear pull brakes
    Handlebar Alum. 20 mm Rise, 6 degree bend, anatomically sized
    Stem GT ATB, threadless 10 degree rise with four bolt alum face plate
    Grips GT Dual Density ATB
    Headset Tange Seiki system for 1 1/8"
    Saddle WTB Speed V
    Seat Post Alloy Micro adjust
    Seat Clamp GT Forged Alum QR

wyrd bi ful rd
    if the price is almost the same ... much prefer the Trek with the fork and brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Go with the Trek, the lifetime frame warranty is unbeatable, the fork is better, the stem is a little better.

Good frame to upgrade on. I'd take a bontrager stem over a GT stem, but that is just my opinion.

I've owned 2 treks, and my family has always ridden trek. We've replaced a few bikes, but mainly because most of us are 200+ lbs and think we can fly over cliffs at times.

Hahaha

mtbr member
    Just to add an additional feature the trek has a 9 speed cassette, which I find preferable for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest reasons, in my mind, are quality parts. The 9spd stuff seems to better these days.

Never trust a fart
    Go with the Trek. Most of the components (x-5 derailleurs/shifters) are comparable to the Deore LX stuff found on the Avalance 1.0 which is more money.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input guys. Ill be sure to keep you guys updated and let you know what I decide. I was leaning toward the trek to begin with and it looks like you guys feel the same. Ill suspend my final judgment till i get hands on with each of them though.

mtbr member
    trek
    the avalanche is lovely to ride but the brakes kinda suck. SRAM's low/mid range stuff is better than the shimano equivalent in my opinion. generic and the gt stuff will tend to be replaced quickly through wear and tear
    i ride my bi*ch hard

Members who have read this thread: 0