Whats the deal with PBR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Whats the deal with PBR?

Ok, I have to ask this question, because I always wonder...

It seems to me the riding beer of choice when I go out and someone whips out a brewski is a PBR. I just think to myself.... YUCK!

With all the better beers available to the consumer, why the hell would you pick PBR? I guess one excuse could be you're poor, but IDK, seems like most just have bad taste.

Why did PBR become the bike/hipster beer of choice? Can anyone shed any light on this, or is it just something people drink to be trendy?

Personally when I finish I climb I love me a Keewenaw Brewing Company Widow maker Stout, bur if I can't get KBC I Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is usually available or Blue Moon.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Yep, PBR is the hipster drink of choice, Most of them could afford good beer yet they drink PBR I guess in there eyes that's ironic and hip You see these idiot's tetter tottering or flat out pushing there fixies around west Asheville all the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't understand it either, my cousin loves it for some reason. The local bowling lanes has them on sale for $1 a pop most days. I refuse to try that goblin piss they call beer. I'm usually reaching for a Stella, Blue Moon, or Shocktop.
    `10 Cannondale F5. No upgrades yet.

mtbr member
    well at least I'm not the only one who enjoys better beer?

I mean, even Budwiser is better than PBR if I had to choose. But I guess that might just be preference. I guess I dont know when it became cool to drink not-so-great beer.

I'm trying to figure out where the origin of this tradition might be? Maybe the fact that its frequently sold in tallboy form?
    -Eric

Retired User
    It's been covered in great detail here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=647385

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    It's been covered in great detail here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=647385
    hahah, that is a great thread.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    it is hard to argue with sub-$10 cases when you are gathering change for a beer run.

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    it's "good" cheap beer?
    i see that great MI state in your avatar. I am so addicted to keeweenaw widowmaker(black ipa). last month rode marquette and copper brought a case home with me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    PBR is for peeps who either can't read whats on tap or what has been brewed this week, or people who actually prefer it which is just beyond me. They like big beer cans and they cannot lie...

Support your local brewery, go pick up a few growlers and do the right thing. People will think youre even cooler then.

I dig trails!
    I love IPAs, buy local brew, and the bigger the flavor the better.

That said, I've come around to enjoying PBR as a "session" brew.
    - it has some Pilsner flavor, not crap watered down lager
    - has some style (PBR vs. Coors Light? Budweiser? etc.) Sorry, but it's fun to pull the PBR out of the cooler.
    - it packs well in a Camelback
    - Session brew = not driving back home from the ride buzzed
    - The topper is being able to award a "Blue Ribbon" to the most inspired biker on the ride

After a decade of my beer snobbery, it is nice to just have a fun brew.

P

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Both my grandfathers drank PBR so that was the easiest beer for me to snatch when I was young and taste grew on me. I stopped drinking it for about ten years once I could legally buy better beer. When my grandfather passed a few years ago my brother, cousin and I went out for a beer and in his honor we drank PBR and it just stuck. I've been drinking it again for about 8 years now. Now as for the other clowns drinking it, I don't know what their reasoning is.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty_sohc View Post
    Now as for the other clowns drinking it, I don't know what their reasoning is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCRIGID View Post
    it's "good" cheap beer?
    i see that great MI state in your avatar. I am so addicted to keeweenaw widowmaker(black ipa). last month rode marquette and copper brought a case home with me.
    Widomaker is probably my favorite beer in the world. If I leave MI, I'm hitting up the KBC brewery before I leave and stocking the hell up!!!
    -Eric

mtbr member
    May 2011
    any self respecting drinker of beer won't even think about picking PBR up. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars and buy a real beer instead of the PBR puke water. There is no excuse not to support your local brewery or drink something that will actually put a smile on your face instead of trying to look "hipster", especially if you live in one of the big beer areas (Pacific NW/California/Colorado, ect)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    for me it's either really good beer or really cheap beer.
    I would rather buy PBR in a can for a buck then Bud or Miller for $1.75.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The only good part about PBR is if you have to bring beer to a party, you can pick up a case for $12 and nobody will think you're cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    Yep, PBR is the hipster drink of choice, Most of them could afford good beer yet they drink PBR I guess in there eyes that's ironic and hip You see these idiot's tetter tottering or flat out pushing there fixies around west Asheville all the time.
    Why are hipsters still around? Isn't it about time for that fad/trend/style to die out already? Plus, they can definitely afford to buy some better beers with their parents' credit cards...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    the only beer that taste better in a can

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sonboy View Post
    the only beer that taste better in a can
    Actually, Yuengling also tastes better out of a can!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was able to find a decent use for PBR recently. We were hiking up Whistler and had no way to keep the beer cold (nor was it cold from the store), so instead of wrecking good beer by drinking it warm, we went with PBR. It doesn't taste any worse warm than it does cold (which is mediocre in either state).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    I was able to find a decent use for PBR recently. We were hiking up Whistler and had no way to keep the beer cold (nor was it cold from the store), so instead of wrecking good beer by drinking it warm, we went with PBR. It doesn't taste any worse warm than it does cold (which is mediocre in either state).

This is a very interesting point. I think I may understand it now,
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There's nothing wrong with PBR; it exists as an alternative for the days between "good beers" the same way riding a 29er exists as an alternative to riding a standard 26".

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDmtnbkr View Post
    Why are hipsters still around? Isn't it about time for that fad/trend/style to die out already? Plus, they can definitely afford to buy some better beers with their parents' credit cards...
    Hipster is something of a slang. What makes a "hipster" changes over time. At large, hippies were the original hipsters. Now, hipsters are people with money who want to look and be like hippies-but don't do a good job at it. The next generation of hipsters are what I currently call Hippysters. They're a little bit in between. They are those who seek to be hipsters (keep in mind what it is that hipsters wish to be) but don't have enough money to do it. Like hipsters, they seek clothes that look vintage. However, they actually find them as they are forced to create their own clothing/shop at thrift stores-much like hippies had to. However, they don't have fancy fixies and durable clothes made to look cheap. Plus hippysters don't wear expensive sun glasses without lenses and they don't quite have the fancy scarves.

**** Pabst. Seriously. I hate that ****. I'd almost rather drink my own piss than that swill. If I am drinking shitty, my preference goes something like: Schlitz( the "new" formula is actually good ), Mickeys, Coors, Bud, Bud Light, Beast, Beast Ice, Bud Ice, Steel Reserve( the old 2-11 never steers ya wrong) then maybe, maybe PBR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.