There I said it -- I don't like IPAs- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

There I said it -- I don't like IPAs

I know I'm supposed to like it, in the interest of being a hive-minded mountain biker and all that, but bitter beer you eat with a spoon? Gross.

Your turn.

mtbr member
    wTF!?!?! Lose my number, bro!!!! Though I do curse IPAs when I wake up the next morning.

mtbr member
    she'll just have a glass of water.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I know I'm supposed to like it, in the interest of being a hive-minded mountain biker and all that, but bitter beer you eat with a spoon? Gross.

Your turn.
    Thread Locked

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Elitest thrill junkie

Your turn.
    It's not that I don't like them occasionally, but the constant pissing match between breweries to make the most over-hopped gasoline-tasting triple imperial IPA gets tired, especially when there are so many other great types of beer and ESPECIALLY when they just make 30 varieties of IPAs instead of some different freaking beers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EMBA Member

Your turn.
    Agreed. Almost all IPA's taste terrible. The ones that are not terrible are mediocre at best.

mtbr member
    Being a pilsner guy at best, I totally support you. However, IPA's are the money maker these days, so plenty of local breweries are forgoing other styles as a result.
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

Bikes in jeans
    In addition to them tasting like s***, I get an instant stomach ache when I drink them, I'll pass.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    I didn't used to but now I do. It's an acquired taste...plus they usually have respectable ABVs.
    What, me worry?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator

Your turn.

What do you mean you are supposed to like it?

Everyone' Pallet is different, that is part of the beauty of being human, none of us are exactly the same.

I like IPA's but they are not anywhere near the top of my list of favorite styles of beer.

Drink what you enjoy, don't let others tell you what you are supposed to like.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Wanna ride bikes?
    Good. More for me
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I like them now and then but get upset that they take up so many taps at my local breweries. My friend is part owner of a beer-centric bar, something like 100+ beers on tap. When he was getting ready to open one of the consultants warned him against having too many IPAs. The reason? "Too many breweries make them just because they can be made fast and it's easy to cover up a sh*tty tasting beer by over hopping it".

poser Administrator
    Variety is the spicy of life young grasshopper. IPA's should be consumed along with lagers, stouts, porters, Doubles, triples, and sours. It is the way.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I love them but they are an acquired taste. No harm in enjoying other styles. I used to be a big fan of brown ales.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    "Too many breweries make them just because they can be made fast and it's easy to cover up a sh*tty tasting beer by over hopping it".
    I came here to say exactly that. The Pale Ale is the standard by which all american breweries should be judged. I find it to be the hardest beer to get right. Browns, sours, stouts, skunky attempts at lagers, all cover up poor brews. Last time I was at the beer barn, Sierra Nevada aside, there were only 2 pale ales to choose from, but 5 kajilion IPA's, Double IPA's, both with and without fruit. To that end, I won't drink beer from a brewery that doesn't have a pale ale as a standard offering.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Whoa -- I didn't even know there was a beer forum on here.

One time on a hot summer afternoon I half-jokingly told the pub waitress, "I'd like your weakest American lager." She didn't find much humor in it, though I did.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Never have, never will. I can tolerate some hop heavy beers. But not much. I don't want to drink pine trees and flowers.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Variety is the spicy of life young grasshopper. IPA's should be consumed along with lagers, stouts, porters, Doubles, triples, and sours. It is the way.
    You have spoken!

mtbr member
    Must be my bitter disposition that makes me a fan of dank IPAs. However, I do love most beers (except saisons, I can't get into that funk). I find that drinking all beers - stouts, sours, lagers, Belgians, etc. - refresh the pallette and make IPAs more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    They smell and taste like a lawnmower bag to me. No thanks.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Variety is the spicy of life young grasshopper. IPA's should be consumed if there aren't any lagers, stouts, porters, Doubles, triples, or sours. It is the way.
    fify
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    I know I'm supposed to like it
    why? Do you ride a Surly?
    always mad and usually drunk......

psycho cyclo addict
    It's all good... only thing I really find unpalatable are wheat beers (along with heavily flavored coffee, pumpkin, ,... ones of any sort too BLECH!).
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    May 2020

Your turn.
    Freak

mtbr member
    I'm with you on the IPA's.

However, I'm also a freak^^ in that I only drink stouts and porters.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Just like all beers there are some truly fantastic IPA's, some good ones, a whole bunch of mediocre ones, and tons of terrible ones. The beer that baffles me are sours. They all have that acrid smell and taste of butyric acid. Just what I want in my beer, some fokking vomit. As I age I'm gravitating more and more towards Pilsners.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Just like all beers there are some truly fantastic IPA's, some good ones, a whole bunch of mediocre ones, and tons of terrible ones. ...
    ^^^This is what I was going to say.
    I like IPAs in general, but there are a LOT of bad ones.

I am always looking for a good pilsner, though. Golden Pheasant is probably my fave.

And quit putting fruit in the beer!

-F

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    I like them now and then but get upset that they take up so many taps at my local breweries. My friend is part owner of a beer-centric bar, something like 100+ beers on tap. When he was getting ready to open one of the consultants warned him against having too many IPAs. The reason? "Too many breweries make them just because they can be made fast and it's easy to cover up a sh*tty tasting beer by over hopping it".
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I came here to say exactly that. The Pale Ale is the standard by which all american breweries should be judged. I find it to be the hardest beer to get right. Browns, sours, stouts, skunky attempts at lagers, all cover up poor brews. Last time I was at the beer barn, Sierra Nevada aside, there were only 2 pale ales to choose from, but 5 kajilion IPA's, Double IPA's, both with and without fruit. To that end, I won't drink beer from a brewery that doesn't have a pale ale as a standard offering.
    Have either of you spent anytime homebrewing? Once you do that you learn very quickly what is easy to hide and what is not.

The hardest beer to brew correctly and cleanly is a lager, I am not a fan of any of the big guys, but they have consistency and cleanliness down to a literal science for the lagers they brew en-mass.

Talk to any head brewer and they will agree with me, someone who can make a consistent Lager is a good brewer.

When it comes to hiding bad beer with big hops..... I do not really agree there, if your beer gets infected, no amount of hops is going to cover that up. But I will say this, the "hazy" IPA's that have become so popular are very easy to make and in some ways a sign of lazy brewing techniques. If you can brew a crystal clear big west coast IPA then you are a good brewer. It is much harder and more labor intensive to brew a clean west coast IPA.

A pale ale is just as easy to make as an IPA (India Pale Ale), the difference is mostly in hop content and the size of the grain bill, meaning an IPA is going to "generally" hit a higher ABV and a higher IBU. But there are some Pale Ales that have a big IBU as well.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I like some IPAs. I am not really a fan of double or triple IPAs and tended to prefer hazy or New England style IPAs though.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (about town bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    As I age I'm gravitating more and more towards Pilsners.
    Me too. Clean, crisp and refreshing. I still like most IPAs though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    The hardest beer to brew correctly and cleanly is a lager, I am not a fan of any of the big guys, but they have consistency and cleanliness down to a literal science for the lagers they brew en-mass.

Talk to any head brewer and they will agree with me, someone who can make a consistent Lager is a good brewer.
    I agree with you completely. For many years in March I brewed an all-grain Märzen lager. It was by far the most difficult beer I ever brewed. Here was my lagering trick that worked really well. After I racked to a 5 gal carboy, I placed the carboy in a 25 gal heavy duty plastic tub. The 25 gal tub was located in a dark utility room in the back corner of my basement. I filled the 25 gal tub with water up to the bottom the carboy neck. The temp of the water stayed at around 60 degrees F throughout the summer. I know they say the best lagering temp is mid 30's F, but for most homebrewers that's extremely difficult to achieve. I found that the water around the carboy kept the beer temperature stable and fairly cool (but not necessarily super cold). After a 5 month lagering the result was a very good Märzen that we enjoyed during Octoberfest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFlick View Post
    I know they say the best lagering temp is mid 30's F, but for most homebrewers that's extremely difficult to achieve.
    https://www.northernbrewer.com/produ...emp-controller
    This and a spare fridge will give you the consistent temperature you need to lager, consistently, and whenever you want. This is main reason most home brewers have a hard time with lagers - lack of temp control. With it, they're a straightforward brew.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFlick View Post
    I agree with you completely. For many years in March I brewed an all-grain Märzen lager. It was by far the most difficult beer I ever brewed. Here was my lagering trick that worked really well. After I racked to a 5 gal carboy, I placed the carboy in a 25 gal heavy duty plastic tub. The 25 gal tub was located in a dark utility room in the back corner of my basement. I filled the 25 gal tub with water up to the bottom the carboy neck. The temp of the water stayed at around 60 degrees F throughout the summer. I know they say the best lagering temp is mid 30's F, but for most homebrewers that's extremely difficult to achieve. I found that the water around the carboy kept the beer temperature stable and fairly cool (but not necessarily super cold). After a 5 month lagering the result was a very good Märzen that we enjoyed during Octoberfest.
    https://www.northernbrewer.com/produ...emp-controller
    This and a spare fridge will give you the consistent temperature you need to lager, consistently, and whenever you want. This is main reason most home brewers have a hard time with lagers - lack of temp control. With it, they're a straightforward brew.

When I did one we used the method Watermonkey is referring to. My buddy who has all the equipment has 2 chest freezers, a big 8 foot one for the ales and a smaller one that just barely fit two 6 gallon carboys that we did the lagers in. He has those temp controllers for both of them.

They go between your power source and the freezers plug, and have a probe you run into the freezer and set inside a container of liquid, generally water. You set the temp you want and the controller turns the power on and off to the freezer as needed to keep that probe at the temp you set it to, that way you know for certain what your Temps are.

The really nice thing about this is when making an ale you can run in the 70's for fermentation and then drop the temp down to cold crash the beer and force the remaining yeast of our suspension. If you are really careful about how you siphon off the beer you can get a very clean product with almost none of the yeast cake making it into your bottling or kegging process, though if you are bottling you might want a little more yeast content to make it over for the bottle conditioning.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Original IPAs that are like the original IPAs that were shipped to India?
    Lovely.
    American-led overhopped XXXTREME record-breaking IPAs?
    Nasty.

mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of the most popular beer in the us (bud light) but a good "american- led overhopped" ipa is pure delicious to me, I can hardly drink anything else these days

It's ok to drink what you prefer.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Lovely.
    Nasty.
    I’m quite familiar with the A.B.A. guidelines dating back to at least the 90s, and am enjoying one right now (Celebration Ale).
    45 ibu was mainstream, back then.

That said, I do like some of the newer hop varieties that have arisen in the last 10 years.

Here’s a link to my partial-mash 5 gal recipe from the mid-90s:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010422.../interzon.html

And the rest...

https://web.archive.org/web/20010406...opes/beer.html

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

It's ok to drink what you prefer.
    next youll say people can ride what they like........

pure craziness

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Lovely.
    Nasty.

How old are you? I did not realize anyone who Sailed for the East India Company or was part of the colonization of India was still alive.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How old are you? I did not realize anyone who Sailed for the East India Company or was part of the colonization of India was still alive.
    Or that there are British breweries still brewing with the original recipes.

Evolutionsverlierer

Your turn.
    I am with you, having said that some ipa’s on the lower ibu scale are not too bad.

Anyway, Pilsner for life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Or that there are British breweries still brewing with the original recipes.

There are still breweries in Britain making IPA's and trying to stick to the old recipes, but i am not certain any of them are actually brewing to the exact old recipes.

I have had some of those attempts to recreate.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Temp controlled chest freezers far and away netted the biggest improvement on my brews. Beer always consistently great.

When I did one we used the method Watermonkey is referring to. My buddy who has all the equipment has 2 chest freezers, a big 8 foot one for the ales and a smaller one that just barely fit two 6 gallon carboys that we did the lagers in. He has those temp controllers for both of them.

They go between your power source and the freezers plug, and have a probe you run into the freezer and set inside a container of liquid, generally water. You set the temp you want and the controller turns the power on and off to the freezer as needed to keep that probe at the temp you set it to, that way you know for certain what your Temps are.

The really nice thing about this is when making an ale you can run in the 70's for fermentation and then drop the temp down to cold crash the beer and force the remaining yeast of our suspension. If you are really careful about how you siphon off the beer you can get a very clean product with almost none of the yeast cake making it into your bottling or kegging process, though if you are bottling you might want a little more yeast content to make it over for the bottle conditioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    Temp controlled chest freezers far and away netted the biggest improvement on my brews. Beer always consistently great.
    User name checks out.

mtbr member
    I don't like IPAs either. It is like sacrilege saying it to craft brew fanboys. Lol. I posted some comments that I didn't like IPA on mtbr before and mobbed. Haha.

IPAs are just too bitter. I rarely drink much anymore, but when I do I like medium to dark lagers. They are so much better. Smooth with no bitterness. It is a bummer because breweries rarely have darker lagers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    It is a bummer because breweries rarely have darker lagers.
    I agree with you there. I recently tried a few new breweries and left some comments in a google review about the lack of variety. I visited one recently that had a Belgian Blonde and a Triple, but no dubbel or quad, which in my opinion are the best kinds of Belgian style beers.

I would love to see more breweries making Browns as well.

Thankfully I live in Beer County USA, so I can always find a local guy making what i like with lots of variety.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    import hefe or nothing at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    This is why they make whine coolers.

mtbr member
    ^Ha!

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    import hefe or nothing at all.
    Not as good in a Maß though.
    mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction View Post
    Not as good in a Maß though.
    Definitely. No import travels well or is made to the same standard as where it originates from. Heck, Heineken is good in Amsterdam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    IPAs are hipster headache water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by distortion10 View Post

I cannot tell if you are being serious or factious, because that statement is ignorant at best.....

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Ok counselor lets submit the matter to the court. Youre right its the Nectar of the Gods. You need to watch some southpark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by distortion10 View Post

I thought that was PBR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    All of this talk about bitter IPAs makes me wonder if you guys have ever had a good New England ipa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigreen636 View Post
    All of this talk about bitter IPAs makes me wonder if you guys have ever had a good New England ipa

Are they bitter?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I thought that was PBR.
    I stand corrected. Haha

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Are they bitter?
    Many have pretty much no bitterness

mtbr member
    Heck, Heineken is good in Amsterdam.

Many, many moons ago, in the early days of the great american beer fest in Denver, I got to drink some small batch, cask conditioned Coors. It didn't suck. Don't tell anyone I said that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigreen636 View Post
    Many have pretty much no bitterness

Then I'm out.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Many, many moons ago, in the early days of the great american beer fest in Denver, I got to drink some small batch, cask conditioned Coors. It didn't suck. Don't tell anyone I said that.
    The Banquet beer can be very good. Note, I did specify...
    mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    I don't like IPAs either. It is like sacrilege saying it to craft brew fanboys. Lol. I posted some comments that I didn't like IPA on mtbr before and mobbed. Haha.

IPAs are just too bitter. I rarely drink much anymore, but when I do I like medium to dark lagers. They are so much better. Smooth with no bitterness. It is a bummer because breweries rarely have darker lagers.
    Dark lagers are excellent. And, as you said, hard to find.

mtbr member
    What really bugs me is the the popularity of IPA's means that the stores don't carry much else, like my favorite stouts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Then there’s Hazy IPA’s. As mentioned some IPA’s can be pretty strong or bitter, but every Hazy IPA I’ve had has been pretty tasty. Just drank Belching Beaver Hazy for the first time and it was pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripbird View Post
    Then there’s Hazy IPA’s. As mentioned some IPA’s can be pretty strong or bitter, but every Hazy IPA I’ve had has been pretty tasty.

You guys keep saying the word bitter like it's a bad thing, understandable if that's not your thing but that's part of what a good ipa is.

Characterized by floral, fruity, citrus-like, piney or resinous American-variety hop character, the IPA beer style is all about hop flavor, aroma and bitterness.May 17, 2018 www.craftbeer.com

Don't think I've ever heard a description about ipa's that didn't include the word "bitter" in an endearing way.

mtbr member
    May 2007

There I said it -- I don't like IPAs

IPA’s in my top 3 favorite styles, but the variety is getting ridiculous, lately, and yes, where are the stouts & porters? Aren’t they the same hipsters who were all into Belgian Ales a scant two years ago? We went straight from peak cigar to peak beard to peak fixie to peak IPA. What’s next?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhoopes View Post
    IPA’s in my top 3 favorite styles, but the variety is getting ridiculous, lately, and yes, where are the stouts & porters? Aren’t they the same hipsters who were all into Belgian Ales a scant two years ago? We went straight from peak cigar to peak beard to peak fixie to peak IPA. What’s next?
    The logical next step has to be peak capri pants and man buns.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    The logical next step has to be peak capri pants and man buns.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    at least man buns are disappearing, or maybe theyre are just staying inside.......

mtbr member

Your turn.
    I hear you. Kind of. I'm not a fan of most IPAs because they tend to be over hopped, IMO.

At a certain point, hops can become like hot peppers, some are good, sometimes a few more are better, and we all know people that will eat whole ghost peppers and insist they like them while their faces turn bright red and sweat pours out of their eyeballs.

A nicely crafted, well balanced IPA isn't like that, and I like those on occasion. Drinking bitter beer just because you can makes me think maybe you don't really know that much about beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    she'll just have a glass of water.
    I’ll have what she’s drinking...I can’t stand IPA’s either. I used to drink them years ago but, my pallet has changed over time; I’ll take a nice light Pilsner/Lager after a ride, and a nice dry Irish stout or Porter the rest of the time. Even better tasting when the stout is on nitro

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Ganus View Post
    I’ll have what she’s drinking...I can’t stand IPA’s either. I used to drink them years ago but, my pallet has changed over time; I’ll take a nice light Pilsner/Lager after a ride, and a nice dry Irish stout or Porter the rest of the time. Even better tasting when the stout is on nitro
    You need to try Left Hand Brewing Nitro Milk Stout from a can poured into a glass. I've tried it on tap and it's better poured from the can.

mtbr member
    I don't like olives. There, I said it. Can't stand the olivey taste or the people who eat them just because they can
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sounds like you know nothing about olives.

Professional Crastinator
    You guys keep saying the word bitter like it's a bad thing, understandable if that's not your thing but that's part of what a good ipa is.

Don't think I've ever heard a description about ipa's that didn't include the word "bitter" in an endearing way.
    They've been throwing around the word "dank" as well. Usually I associate that with a damp cellar, so I don't know what they're talking about.

This is really good, though!
    There I said it -- I don't like IPAs-20201002_194447.jpg

-F

Disgruntled Peccary
    Ahh but this is one of those things, more bitter does not always mean better. It does not always mean worse. It's just a part of it.

Then again, there have been beers I've drank that were way over-hopped for the style of beer, that.. was bad.
    mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    They've been throwing around the word "dank" as well. Usually I associate that with a damp cellar, so I don't know what they're talking about.

This is really good, though!

-F
    Dank is the word associated to describe kind buds. Something that is good or great! That’s dank=good.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    What really bugs me is the the popularity of IPA's means that the stores don't carry much else, like my favorite stouts.

I know this is certainly the case in my local grocery store, but the BevMo's in my area have an entire Stout Section.

Do you have BevMo or Total Wine, or even a good small Liquor store in your area that carries lots of craft beer? You can usually find plenty of Stouts, Browns, Barley wines, Dubbels and Quads in them.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripbird View Post
    You need to try Left Hand Brewing Nitro Milk Stout from a can poured into a glass. I've tried it on tap and it's better poured from the can.
    That's what I'm drinking now, except out of a bottle. I haven't tried the can yet.

mtbr member
    I know this is certainly the case in my local grocery store, but the BevMo's in my area have an entire Stout Section.

Do you have BevMo or Total Wine, or even a good small Liquor store in your area that carries lots of craft beer? You can usually find plenty of Stouts, Browns, Barley wines, Dubbels and Quads in them.
    There's a Total Wine in the area, but it's a ways away from me. They do have a great selection.

There is also a beer shop in town with a great selection, but I never seem to get the time to go there.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    My wife just signed up for this app based service that buys beers each month and has a stock for users to choose from that get delivered to your house. She tossed a few Barrel Aged stouts in her basket and has until the 21st of december to decide if she wants them or not... sounds weird, but if it means she is going to add more stouts to my cold storage I am okay with whatever process she uses.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    My wife just signed up for this app based service that buys beers each month and has a stock for users to choose from that get delivered to your house. She tossed a few Barrel Aged stouts in her basket and has until the 21st of december to decide if she wants them or not... sounds weird, but if it means she is going to add more stouts to my cold storage I am okay with whatever process she uses.
    Hmm, you don't say...

And what's the name of the app?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I wish NEIPAs would stop being advertised as IPAs. Those of you who claim to not like pale ales really ought to try the new NEIPA/Hazys. The days of 100 IBU, slam you in the face west coast IPAs are over.

APA has always been my favorite style, and labeling NEIPAs as "Hazy Pale Ale" to get people to like softer bitterness is amusing to me.....APA has been that the whole time. And more sessionable to boot.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Hmm, you don't say...

And what's the name of the app?
    tavour

MTBR Posting Guidelines

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I wish NEIPAs would stop being advertised as IPAs. Those of you who claim to not like pale ales really ought to try the new NEIPA/Hazys. The days of 100 IBU, slam you in the face west coast IPAs are over.

APA has always been my favorite style, and labeling NEIPAs as "Hazy Pale Ale" to get people to like softer bitterness is amusing to me.....APA has been that the whole time. And more sessionable to boot.

Lazy Hazy IPA's are okay, but not something I would search out. I still prefer a clean, crisp west coast IPA with an IBU north of 100. ;-)

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Lazy Hazy IPA's are okay, but not something I would search out. I still prefer a clean, crisp west coast IPA with an IBU north of 100. ;-)
    Hazy IPA is not IPA, it's "Specialty IPA." One is not designed to be a replacement for another. Unfortunately the label "IPA" sells beer and so they couldn't call it something else.

There are certainly many 100 IBU, west-coast style IPAs that I like even though APA is my favorite style.

But the NEIPAs are not a fad. They are here to stay and I'm thankful for them; they can be very good when done right.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    who said they were a fad?

MTBR Posting Guidelines