mtbr member
    Nov 2016

New question here. So who does the growler thing?

I found a beer store with a good growler fill station, but even their cheapest selections are more expensive than canned or bottled beers. It seems they should be cheaper since it's so much trouble for me to provide the container, wait for it to be filled, etc. Then there's the problem of the beer going flat in the fridge. Am I'm missing something? I'm about over growlers. It's so much easier to grab a six pack. What do you all think about it?
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    I found a beer store with a good growler fill station, but even their cheapest selections are more expensive than canned or bottled beers. It seems they should be cheaper since it's so much trouble for me to provide the container, wait for it to be filled, etc. Then there's the problem of the beer going flat in the fridge. Am I'm missing something? I'm about over growlers. It's so much easier to grab a six pack. What do you all think about it?
    your place is doing it wrong, then.

I won't fill a growler if it costs more than the same amount of packaged beer.

I just moved to a new state that makes growler fills a PITA. there's such heavy sanitation laws in effect for growlers that you're more or less discouraged from filling growlers. Lots of places are using crowlers now. which I'm not much of a fan of, either.

mtbr member
    I have a growler and use it infrequently. It's not really any cheaper than bottled/canned beer where I live, but it's fresh for sure. My main issue is that most of the time I want ~2 beers and it's just me drinking from the growler so it can go flat faster than I drink it.

Since I buy beer from local breweries the cans and bottles are pretty fresh and most of the time that works out better for me.

If I was drinking with a buddy a growler is nice because we can kill it in one sitting.

I do like the lack of waste when drinking growlers.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    I used to get growler fills from breweries years ago. It was cheaper and fresher. These days I fill them off the home brew keg from time to time, or I'll get a growler from a brewery while traveling. I bought a thing on kickstarter called the tap it cap it, and that keeps the growler carb'd up nicely for several days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Use them all the time and cheaper than cans/bottles and can also get some beer that's only available on tap. My issue is that 1/2 the time I forget to bring a growler (or two) so I end up buying new growlers all the time, so my collection of growlers is growing :-) Most are these are with logos from the brewery, not generic ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    One thing I've learned is the 32 oz growlers are nice. They don't go flat as bad, and they're easier to pour. Some places charge more per volume to fill them though.
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkman999 View Post
    Use them all the time and cheaper than cans/bottles and can also get some beer that's only available on tap. My issue is that 1/2 the time I forget to bring a growler (or two) so I end up buying new growlers all the time, so my collection of growlers is growing :-) Most are these are with logos from the brewery, not generic ones.
    I have a generic stainless one I used to use all the time, especially when I biked to the brewpub, but most places where I live now refuse to fill it because of the sanitation laws here. They require you to use THEIR branded growler, and instead of filling the one you bring in, they exchange it for a sanitized one and then put yours in with the other "dirties" to be sanitized. My nice stainless one is now basically just a water jug. And my older branded ones that I got years ago when I lived in another state are pretty much useless.

So I pretty much just buy cans/bottles because I don't have a brewery that's either close enough to my house/work to make it worthwhile, or that I LOVE their beer enough that I'm willing to drive a little farther and/or deal with the crappy parking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I have a generic stainless one I used to use all the time, especially when I biked to the brewpub, but most places where I live now refuse to fill it because of the sanitation laws here. They require you to use THEIR branded growler, and instead of filling the one you bring in, they exchange it for a sanitized one and then put yours in with the other "dirties" to be sanitized. My nice stainless one is now basically just a water jug. And my older branded ones that I got years ago when I lived in another state are pretty much useless.

So I pretty much just buy cans/bottles because I don't have a brewery that's either close enough to my house/work to make it worthwhile, or that I LOVE their beer enough that I'm willing to drive a little farther and/or deal with the crappy parking.
    Here you can bring whatever you want, but they are supposed to be marked with the size. If they see beer left in it, they'll rinse it and if it looks clean, they'll ask if you want it rinsed. I have a stainless one too and never had an issue getting it filled. Some of the micro-breweries will collect growlers from other breweries too, so sometimes they'll let you trade one from another brewery for one of theirs. Helped me get rid of a few doubles.

since 4/10/2009
    Here you can bring whatever you want, but they are supposed to be marked with the size. If they see beer left in it, they'll rinse it and if it looks clean, they'll ask if you want it rinsed. I have a stainless one too and never had an issue getting it filled. Some of the micro-breweries will collect growlers from other breweries too, so sometimes they'll let you trade one from another brewery for one of theirs. Helped me get rid of a few doubles.
    Here, simply rinsing the growler out isn't enough. There's a full-on sanitation process. The second link covers the sanitation rules.

Growlers-Rules and Requirements in NC - Beer Law Center
    Growler fills in N.C.: What you need to know - On Tap - October 2013

Most places that fill growlers just downright refuse to sanitize growlers right away because the process takes time and takes away from their ability to serve beer. I hear tell of some places that will, and they have equipment that can handle it fairly efficiently (even though the customer has to wait a little longer), but none of those places are close to where I live. So most places have instituted policies and practices to keep things moving. Which typically means they don't accept growlers from other breweries because those won't work with the exchange systems that most are using.

The whole thing is fairly onerous on the consumer, tbh. When I visit a place that does do growler fills, I RARELY see people getting them. Whereas in Indiana, my local brewpub would get lines of people waiting for a growler fill...esp on busy nights when the place was standing room only. Totally different dynamic in NC.

In Indiana, where I moved from, everything was pretty chill. A rinse was usually good enough from the brewer, and they always did a smell test to see if you cleaned the growler well enough before bringing it in. They wouldn't fill a nasty growler. Fair enough. No labeling requirements, and pretty much anybody would fill a growler with someone else's logo on it. Some places would want to put their sticker on your growler. Others didn't even care that much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Here, simply rinsing the growler out isn't enough. There's a full-on sanitation process. The second link covers the sanitation rules.

Growlers-Rules and Requirements in NC - Beer Law Center
    Growler fills in N.C.: What you need to know - On Tap - October 2013
    Crazy. Was there an incident with people getting sick or dying, or is it just the nanny-state gone too far?

since 4/10/2009
    Crazy. Was there an incident with people getting sick or dying, or is just the nanny-state gone too far?
    I didn't live here when all this came down. My understanding is that the craft breweries and their lobbying group banded together and demanded the sanitation rules as a requirement for allowing growler fills, which people wanted. I think they demanded it because they didn't want people complaining about skunked beer because a nasty growler got filled.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I fill growlers from my kegerator if I need something transportable.
    Occasionally grab a fill of something different from the local brewery to mix things up.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    I didn't live here when all this came down. My understanding is that the craft breweries and their lobbying group banded together and demanded the sanitation rules as a requirement for allowing growler fills, which people wanted. I think they demanded it because they didn't want people complaining about skunked beer because a nasty growler got filled.
    Funny, when I worked in the industry (in Colorado), we generally just gave them a quick visual, rinsed them out, and filled. Occasionally, people would bring in growlers filled with mold, and get pissed when we said we wouldn't clean them. One dude got pissed because we wouldn't fill it WITH the mold in the bottle.

The laws do vary from state to state, or even county. In other areas, they tape the cap with electrical tape so that it's not considered an open container. Some places like to try to force people to buy a new growler by telling them it's the law...but it's not, they're just doing it for the money. Others like to exchange them (at no cost), so the beer is in a bottle with their logo on it, and that's understandable.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Funny, when I worked in the industry (in Colorado), we generally just gave them a quick visual, rinsed them out, and filled. Occasionally, people would bring in growlers filled with mold, and get pissed when we said we wouldn't clean them. One dude got pissed because we wouldn't fill it WITH the mold in the bottle.

The laws do vary from state to state, or even county. In other areas, they tape the cap with electrical tape so that it's not considered an open container. Some places like to try to force people to buy a new growler by telling them it's the law...but it's not, they're just doing it for the money. Others like to exchange them (at no cost), so the beer is in a bottle with their logo on it, and that's understandable.

I had a couple "it's the law" comments from ppl behind the bar, for reasons why they wouldn't fill my unbranded stainless growler or one of my growlers from an out-of-state brewery. I knew enough of the law to call bs on that statement, and they backtracked and explained it correctly. So at least in some cases, some guys use that excuse as a fast way to avoid filling a different growler when the actual reason is more complicated than that. But in the end, it's come down to a business decision because the law as it is adds complication to the system - it doesn't give bartenders the ability to trust a sniff/look test for growler cleanliness.

Goes a long way to explain why it seems like every brewery I visit in Asheville sells beer in bottles or cans. That was absolutely not the case in Indiana. Lots of micros sold beer on tap only there. They'd only get into bottling or canning if they grew beyond that stage and wanted wider distribution. Here, it seems like bottling or canning is almost a necessity to be successful. I've even become aware recently of a company here that runs a mobile canning line that visits a different brewery every day, for the small guys that aren't ready to spring for their own line.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Yeah, mobile canning is probably the primary reason for the explosion in canned micro-brew. Without it, a brewery would have to buy cans a train-car load at a time, at least.

With how cheap growlers are for the breweries, it makes sense to just exchange them for new as a means of advertising, and guaranteeing the container is clean. It wouldn't be hard for them to set up a sanitation system of their own to recycle them either. Maybe even cost competitive with canning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I usually reserve the growler for special occasions. I rarely finish it before it goes flat unless I have some company to help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    With how cheap growlers are for the breweries, it makes sense to just exchange them for new as a means of advertising, and guaranteeing the container is clean. It wouldn't be hard for them to set up a sanitation system of their own to recycle them either. Maybe even cost competitive with canning.
    That is how most places seem to handle it here. They just won't take anyone else's growler. Or a generic one for that matter.

Haven't visited any of the random places like gas stations that fill growlers yet. I imagine they handle it somewhat differently. But none of those places are really convenient to where I live/work.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    When I first got into the whole craft beer scene in the early 2000's growler fills were super cheap and the way to go. Especially because many of the beers were not bottled or canned back then.

Now it is more rare for me to carry them around for fills, unless I am going down to Alpine, then I bring my two growlers and get them filled.

mmmmmmmm Alpine Brewery.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No growlers , no line waiting, cans are less money and stay fresher. YRMV.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    No growlers , no line waiting, cans are less money and stay fresher. YRMV.
    I'm starting to agree. Except maybe at a brewery, it seems to me the growler fill format is not sustainable at the current pricing. I think that's a shame though because the variety and the option are nice. In my area, the only place it is close to comparable in price to bottled/canned beer is at beverage stores... fills at tap rooms are astronomical.

I wouldn't mind that much if I had to use the store's growlers and exchange them. Growlers are cheap, and maybe I could contact them to pre-fill them before I get there. They would just have to keep some on tap that I am familiar with.
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    I'm starting to agree. Except maybe at a brewery, it seems to me the growler fill format is not sustainable at the current pricing. I think that's a shame though because the variety and the option are nice. In my area, the only place it is close to comparable in price to bottled/canned beer is at beverage stores... fills at tap rooms are astronomical.
    Brewery capacity has a lot to do with it. Some places already sell all they can make at $4+ a pint, why would they want to give it away at 1/4 the cost? It is a business after all.

On the other hand, if they don't otherwise package their beer (bottle/can), and they have the capacity, growlers make a lot of sense for them to sell more beer.

I worked in a place that started small, and offered growlers at 6-pack pricing as a way to get more beer out the door. After growing, getting their own bottling line, etc. they still do cheap growlers because they can, and they see it as a more sustainable/eco-friendly way to sell their beer, and lord knows, they have the capacity now.

mtbr member

wow that sounds like a nightmare for you and the brewery. The extra cost in a brewery having to clean and sanitize a growler doesn't make sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    When I first got into the whole craft beer scene in the early 2000's growler fills were super cheap and the way to go. Especially because many of the beers were not bottled or canned back then.

Now it is more rare for me to carry them around for fills, unless I am going down to Alpine, then I bring my two growlers and get them filled.

mmmmmmmm Alpine Brewery.
    since the green flash buyout, alpine is RIP for me. It "appears" its more on a cost based process than making great beer. Green Flash is struggling financially for the past few years.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    since the green flash buyout, alpine is RIP for me. It "appears" its more on a cost based process than making great beer. Green Flash is struggling financially for the past few years.
    How sad for you. They still make great beer at the original brew house. It has been a while since I made it down there, but last I was there you could still get fills of beer made on the old system, not the Green Flash stuff.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    How sad for you. They still make great beer at the original brew house. It has been a while since I made it down there, but last I was there you could still get fills of beer made on the old system, not the Green Flash stuff.
    oh i bet their main little place cranks great brews, however even pure hoppiness has been taken over by GF brewery. All of their bottles in stores now pretty much all come from GF location for cost savings unfortunately. However, if its something GF brews "for" alpine, they ship the kegs from GF to Alpine to serve. At that point there is not reason for alpine to brew it since the cost savings doesn't make sense.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Wait, what's wrong with Green Flash now?

mtbr member
    Not such a common thing for breweries here in NZ as they often tend to be more just a factory than a destination/taproom, or don't have an off-license to allow them to retail beer.
    Our local bottlestore has six taps and fills flagons/growlers/riggers/anything though. It's certainly cheaper (roughly $10-14 per litre vs $7-12 for a packaged 500ml bottle of something similar) and usually fresher. Good for "keg only" releases too, our local brewery has been doing a series or unfiltered IPAs with various different hop combos and it's about the only place in town we can buy it without travelling out to their brew-pub half an hour out of town.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    oh i bet their main little place cranks great brews, however even pure hoppiness has been taken over by GF brewery.
    Yeah I am talking about getting my growlers filled with Bad Boy or High Kicks, not Pure Hoppiness.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Here on Vancouver Island lots of the craft breweries will fill growlers and most don't have an issue with filling a different brewery's growler. They give them a quick rinse. Many of the smaller and/or newer breweries don't have bottled beer available, so growlers are the way to go. Most of the craft beer available here in liquor stores comes in the 650ml bottles and cost $5-$8 a bottle (not much available in cans for craft), so you can save a bit by filling a growler.

You can't buy alcohol in Canada at groceries stores or gas stations or such, liquor establishments only, and ya it's a PITA. That said, not sure I'd fill a growler at a gas station, I'd question age and cleanliness. Kinda like buying a hot dog and nachos at a gas station, somewhat risky lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mckinley View Post
    You can't buy alcohol in Canada at groceries stores or gas stations or such, liquor establishments only, and ya it's a PITA. That said, not sure I'd fill a growler at a gas station, I'd question age and cleanliness. Kinda like buying a hot dog and nachos at a gas station, somewhat risky lol.
    Is that the entire country? Every time I learn something about Canada, it seems so backward, especially for being our neighbor.

sluice box
    I tried a growler once actually twice. Natural Ice was $4.75 to fill up and Blueberry Kombucha was $12. I've quit the growler thing now. Both experiences were bla.
    ptarmigan hardcore

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Is that the entire country? Every time I learn something about Canada, it seems so backward, especially for being our neighbor.
    Colorado is no different....and getting more backward all the time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Colorado is no different....and getting more backward all the time.
    C'mon down to New Mexico! We're poor, but at least we don't have crazy laws like that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    The laws vary in each province and the liquor laws have been eased a bit. They did pass a law in BC that allows liquor to be sold in grocery stores but it's confusing on whether they can sell all liquor or just BC wine and if it's required to be a "store in a store" so still separate with a separate checkout. Ontario might be selling in grocery stores now. In BC your still going to a separate liquor store (government or private) to buy booze most of the time.

I wish they would just sell it on the shelves at the grocery store, would be way more convenient, but hasn't happened around where I live.

jrm
    mtbr member
    32oz crowlers are my new thing. Its nice being able to buy say 2 or 3 of them and all being different beers

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

My growler setup

So who does the growler thing?-img_20160903_195906451.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Crowlers are good, but I only buy beer in Growlers. At my local place we had an offer for Golden Growlers/ $100 for the bottle and $5 refills and a free pint while you wait. $5 for 5 pints is pretty hard to beat at anybody market. Three years later the Golden Growlers are selling from $400-500 on the Craigslist. Just don't drop it.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I got a couple of "squealers" on my last biking vaycay - mini growlers. They served me well while I was there and have made incredible souvenirs afterwards.

So who does the growler thing?-fullsizeoutput_5f.jpg

mtbr member
    I only growl when someone tries to take my beer away
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Not helpful.
    $22 to fill a growler?!?

Not on my watch. FU.
    You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
    Khizr Khan