Should we sub divide the beer forum?- Mtbr.com
    Plays with tools

Should we sub divide the beer forum?

Hop lovers and hop hatters
    Laggers and ales
    macro and micro
    Euro and American

I mean do we really need all this diversity in our beloved beer forum?

Beer is my spirit animal
    :thumbup:

And a dinglespeed forum.
    “I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.”
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    And trolls that keep saying they like coors light. Actually, I think we could divide it into hop lovers and trolls.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    This has been discussed before and the general consesus was no.

I would like 2 beer forums, Craft beer, Non-Craft beer.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

I would like 2 beer forums, Craft beer, Non-Craft beer.
    No, it should be Craft Beer and Crap Beer

My rule for determining if a beer is worth drinking is this... if you can buy it from a gas station, 7-11, Kwik Trip, Stop-N-Go or Open Pantry - it's crap. If it came from a liquor store, grocery or direct from the brewery - it's beer.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    we are starting beerreview.com. We will have a few beer forums there.

Yes, it I speak the truth!!

fc

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

fc
    NOOOOOOOO

Please say that this little hidden gem of a sub-forum will still exist. As soon as a beer forum gets big, it becomes like BA and RB, full of pretentiose haters, and no longer any fun. The reason why i lurk, ahhhem i mean contribute to this sub forum on mtbr is the nicer atmosphere.

And to the OP, i respectfully disagree. Only because this is a mountain biking forum and to split a beer sub thread into multiple sub threads seems overkill.

Moderator Moderator

fc

HAHA...I've been waiting for you to post something like this Francis!

Seems like most of the posts are "ale" related with the few lager and "American Adjunct Lager" (PBR, Coors, Miller, Bud etc.) thrown in occasionally.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post

My rule for determining if a beer is worth drinking is this... if you can buy it from a gas station, 7-11, Kwik Trip, Stop-N-Go or Open Pantry - it's crap. If it came from a liquor store, grocery or direct from the brewery - it's beer.
    I don't necessary agree with that statement. Lots of gas stations around my area offer New Glarus, Capital and other craft offerings that are far from BMC and much more delicious...

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Not sure why we'd need sub-forums within the main MTBR.com site?

Seems a bit silly, especially with the imminent of the beer review site Francois is proposing. As I am sure that will be set up a bit mor formally.

I think the idea, and best use of a general forum like the one we have here is the fact that we can maintain such a diverse discussion platform.

It allows for better exposure across all realms of beer/brewing, which in-turn leads to a better educated beer drinker.

Do/should we all agree what the best beer is? No. Where is the fun in that?
    An all IPA/Hop-Head subforum? Ugh, I could only imagine the depth of conversation taking place. It's a narrow-mindedness like that which breeds a naiveté of which we associate the likes of BA and RB.

Not exposing all aspects of the beer drinking community to each other will not help anyones cause, and it will not help educate people whom are looking to broaden their "beer drinking horizons" at any level.

People may not seek out a place like BA, RB, or BeerReview if they have been slowly dipping their toes into the murky/unkind waters of craft beer snobbery. It can be intimidating, but a place like this were discussions are open on all levels, but not centered around the beer community specifically can allow for more comfort.

I don't mind seeing the occasional "I love Coors Light, who's with me?" thread. I might cringe a bit initially, but in the end it means that someone took the time to check out a prodominatly craft beer centered area within a like-minded community base, to express their opinion. Are there trolls? Absolutely, but trolls here as with any other place are simply there to feed off the negativity they project, and if ignored whither back under their bridges. That macro beer drinker may then become exposed to a broader spectrum of discussion that they may have not engaged in otherwise, and if they desire to learn more, or simply are intruiged to try something new as a result of...it's a good thing.

Is it an optimisitic, sunshine, flowers, and unicorn farts outlook on something that can perceived as fairly trivial? Maybe, but come on! Unicorn farts for crying out loud!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

tl1
    Bicyclist

Why the rush

...to all these crazy subdivisions lately? It's gettin' to be like sprawling suburbia around here. You're paving over the wetlands and wildlife habitat.

Plays with tools

There are some states where this gas station rule holds true, like Oklahoma. But it seams even sleazy gas stations will have at least a couple of good offerings in most places.

Plays with tools
    sarcasm just doesn't come through the internet very well. Personally I think MTBR needs to do some selective pruning of boards that don't get used and condense some of them. The split of the 29'er board has me scratching my head.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    sarcasm just doesn't come through the internet very well. Personally I think MTBR needs to do some selective pruning of boards that don't get used and condense some of them. The split of the 29'er board has me scratching my head.
    I followed ya.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

Paper Mill Aleworks
    sarcasm just doesn't come through the internet very well.
    You know damn well that it doesn't!

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

tl1
    Bicyclist

You probably need to get over...

...your fear and loathing of emoticons if you're concerned about sarcasm not coming through the intertubes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think sub dividing this forum would be counter productive to discussion. On a beer specific forum it makes more sense, but not here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    In all seriousness, because this is very serious business, I think that I enjoy getting the opinions of beer form a chosen demographic (mtbr's) is interesting and beneficial. A lot of the guys on BA and RB are just fat beer snobs who really like beer, and that's cool, but fat guy on his couch in an apartment in NY, boston, Chicago, ect who's only hobby is beer, doesn't always have the same background as a mountain biker from the west who also just so happens to be interested in beer. Not saying that it's bad, but I like the sampling of a different demographic.

Some of the discussions on BA are just nauseating, as are some here I guess, but at least we can all revert back to riding on two wheels right?

mtbr member
    I love Russian Imperial Stouts, Funky Sours and tall cans of Tecate in the summer.

I want my own forum.

mtbr member
    I think it's stupid that Mtbr has a forum about beer at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Sarcasm right?

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Sarcasm right?
    I hope so...

Retired User
    Testing the waters to see how much support I'd get for Mod in the chili beer forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    I think we have a roadie amongst us...

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    Testing the waters to see how much support I'd get for Mod in the chili beer forum.
    I prefer my beer chilly.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    testing the waters to see how much support i'd get for mod in the chili beer forum.
    /barf
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
    I don't necessary agree with that statement. Lots of gas stations around my area offer New Glarus, Capital and other craft offerings that are far from BMC and much more delicious...
    Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Cap Amber, Island Wheat stopped being "craft" beers about 5 years ago.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Beer Me!
    Probably sarcasm, but i actually have had an AMAZING chilli beer this year. COCO MOLE from New Belgiums lips of faith series is spectacular.

Anywhodidlidoooodidly No is my official vote to splitting up this forum

mtbr member
    Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Cap Amber, Island Wheat stopped being "craft" beers about 5 years ago.
    Still damn tasty, I consider all those craft beer opposed to Leines even though I do like some of their offerings. I can get super local very small brewery craft offerings in local gas stations too, Lake Louie and Essers Best

The only real difference for me in buying at a gas station vs grocery/liquor store is price, most of the time the gas station is a 1.50-2.00 higher per 6 pack but if I am getting gas and need beer more often than not the tasty brews come home with me

Beer is my spirit animal
    We should also have a forum for all the hard stuff, too. Mmm, we could have a sub-forum for all the different types of tequila....
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

banned
    Feb 2012
    The 29er components forum is ridiculous. It's like there are still people who switch to 29ers and think that makes them part of a niche. Live in the now, folks. 29ers aren't that special anymore. Take it to the 650b forum if you still have a deep-seated desire to be different for the sake of being different.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Probably sarcasm, but i actually have had an AMAZING chilli beer this year. COCO MOLE from New Belgiums lips of faith series is spectacular.

Anywhodidlidoooodidly No is my official vote to splitting up this forum
    I'm super excited to try mine

And Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin is surprisingly delicious.

mtbr member

fc
    Put up or shut up!!!

You have been teasing us with Beerreview.com for months now. Total b*******. Get it going already

Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    I think we have a roadie amongst us...
    I'm a roadie. I don't think he's one too. I'll bet he rides tri-bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0