Rogue hopyard declared "disaster area"- Mtbr.com
    Paper Mill Aleworks

Rogue hopyard declared "disaster area"

Heavy snow/rains crested the Williamette river, severely flooding the Chatoe farmstead.

The Chatoe Rogue Hopyard has been declared a Disaster Area after widespread flooding.
    The Chatoe Rogue Hopyard is located in Oregon’s Wigrich Appellation near the small, historic hop-growing town of Independence.
    The Hopyard borders the Willamette River, which has slowly begun to recede since cresting over the banks early Saturday. Accompanied by heavy rainfall, melting snow and flooding creeks, the water has inundated the roads leading to the Farm, stranding Rogue Farmhand, Natascha Cronin, and Farmstead Brewer, Josh Cronin.
    The Cronin’s continue to keep a tight watch on the Farm, which grows a variety of GYO Certified Hops, Rye, Pumpkins, Sweet Woodruff, Berries, Honey and Experimental Barley, as well as 23 Free-Range Chickens, Turkeys and two Pot-Bellied Piglets.
    Farming and growing your own ingredients has its disadvantages – you are always at the mercy of Mother Nature.
    Bummer!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Article is somewhat vague as to actual damages to the farm. It sounds like it is just roads to the farm that are damaged.
    Crossing my fingers that the farm its self is ok.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Article is somewhat vague as to actual damages to the farm. It sounds like it is just roads to the farm that are damaged.
    Crossing my fingers that the farm its self is ok.
    From what I've read on the Rogue site, and in the Rogue Nation newsletter, the farm itself is fine. The owners are still living in the main house on site, and other than the hopyards and pumpkins fields, most other things seem to be alright. The farm animals seem to be all accounted for, but they are obviously keeping a close eye on everything.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    So the fields were inundated?

The one hope is that the hop plants should be dormant and cut back, down to the root crowns right now. Hopefully the water did not wash them away or damage the crowns.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    So the fields were inundated?

The one hope is that the hop plants should be dormant and cut back, down to the root crowns right now. Hopefully the water did not wash them away or damage the crowns.
    They were, but depending how long it takes the water to recede and how cold the weather stays, they may be ok.
    If the water came in fast, and leaves fast, that could wash-out the root system (depending on the age of the hops).
    Also, if the roots get too saturated, mold will eventually kill them off...but as mentioned, if the weather stays cold enough to freeze the ground water, they may be ok...but them you run the risk of root-ball seperation, due to expansion/contraction from moisture/temp.
    All very speculative of course

tl1
    Bicyclist

I'd be more worried about...

...the 23 Free-Range Chickens than the estrogen rich hops because believe it or not you can make good beer without any hops at all.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    ...the 23 Free-Range Chickens than the estrogen rich hops because believe it or not you can make good beer without any hops at all.
    Was wondering when the #1 troll around here would return. Welcome back. You should sit down, relax, and have a Zima.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Thanks for the attempted b!tchy insult

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Was wondering when the #1 troll around here would return. Welcome back. You should sit down, relax, and have a Zima.
    I know I can count on you and others here for that. It's kind of bizarrely ironic though that a really bad beverage that's completely devoid of hops has become a symbol of femininity. In reality though we know it's the hops that are the component in beer that contributes the femininity inducing estrogen.

-----------------------------------------------

The Long, Slow, Torturous Death of Zima
    Fourteen years after its heyday, Zima is finally at peace.

By Brendan Koerner|Posted Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2008, at 6:53 AM ET

There are a million ways to slight a rival's manhood, but to suggest that he enjoys Zima is one of the worst. Zima was the original "malternative"—a family of alcoholic beverages that eventually came to include such abominations as Smirnoff Ice and Bacardi Silver—and it has long been considered the very opposite of macho: a drink that fragile coeds swill while giving each other pedicures.

That stereotype has persisted despite the fact that Zima's brief heyday came nearly 15 years ago. The brand was then hailed as a marketing coup, an ingenious way to sell beer—or rather, a clear, beerlike solution—to consumers who eschewed traditional suds. But virtually overnight, Zima was done in by its medicinal taste and girly-man rep: After selling an astounding 1.3 million barrels in 1994, the year it went national, Zima's sales fell to just 403,000 barrels in 1996.

More: The long, slow, torturous death of Zima. - Slate Magazine

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    I know I can count on you and others here for that. It's kind of bizarrely ironic though that a really bad beverage that's completely devoid of hops has become a symbol of femininity. In reality though we know it's the hops that are the component in beer that contributes the femininity inducing estrogen.
    Super strong conclusion they came to in the linked article.

Copied from conclusion section of link...
    "Preparations of hops that contain 8PN must be considered “estrogenic”. It still is open to debate, however, whether or not they can have beneficial hormonal activity when consumed orally by humans. Whereas there are numerous animal studies and some clinical evidence that hops may contribute to the therapeutic efficacy of certain polyherbal sedative preparations, no randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials have been identified that would support the internal use of hops for their estrogenic properties..."
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Super strong conclusion they came to in the linked article.
    Don't feed the troll.
    He has already destroyed several threads with his 'hops cause boobs' propaganda.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The farm is a short drive for me (maybe 20 minutes), but a lot of the roads out there are closed and they have cops sitting giving tickets to those going around the "road closed" signs. its a pretty big detour around (there are very few bridges, and at flood stage the 2 ferry's are worthless)

I was out there a couple weeks ago and all the hops were cut back. The farm sits pretty close to the river.
    The local paper(statesman journal) has arial views of close to the farm, it shows river road and riverside drive which is just to the north of the farm (about 2.5 miles)

Members who have read this thread: 0