Moving to Orange County- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moving to Orange County

So my wife got a new job at a hospital in Newport Beach, seeing how we know nothing about Orange County. I have been looking online for the past month for breweries, brewpubs and good mountain biking. Any information would be appreciated, I know some places i would like to check out. Also if any one has info on some of my options for mountain biking , sorry this is kind of off topic but i thought this would be a good place.
    thank you for any information

Matt

O we will be living in Irvine.....
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Hi.
    I'll stick to beer recommendations, since I don't have much experience riding in OC.

Places to check out:

The Bruery/Bruery Provisions in Orange (great beer, good tasting menu and bottle selection @ Provisions)
    Bootlegger's brewery in Fullerton
    Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach or Long Beach
    Hollingshead Deli in Orange

Total Wine in Tustin and Hi-Time in Costa Mesa are good places to buy bottles too.

Have fun in the OC! Oh and check out Plum's for breakfast off 17th in Costa Mesa...tasty stuff.

mtbr member
    I am really excited to go to The Bruery, i have had a couple of their beers and they make some eccentric stuff.I will have to check out Plums , my wifes brother lives in Costa Mesa.Thank you appreciate it

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    The Socal Forum has a ton of info on Riding in OC. Aliso Woods will be one of the closest options for you, and from what I have read the riding is fantastic.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I hate Irvine...

You know they filmed one of the Planet of the Apes movies there...and yep...I was there.

My hair and beard were thick thick...and I wasn't wearing any makeup.

whatever she says gueuze.
    Matt, welcome to SoCal my friend. Yep, Irvine aint pretty but it's suppose to be one of the safest and 'best' cities in the U.S. to live. Biking-wise, you are in the mecca of great trails....I'm jealous. Beer-wise, everything jtmartino mentioned are winners. FYI, the Bruery brewery is in the city of Placentia (off the 91/5 freeways, a little drive from Irvine) and Provisions (their bottle shop) is in Orange. South OC has Cistmontaine which is worth checking out. For easy access decent beer, you'll have the Yardhouse and Bj's close by. I went to a super dive years ago called goathill tavern. I remembered them having tons of beers on tap but also remembered the bar smelling pretty bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just kidding about Irvine, I went to school there...

It's an example of a planned community and I am anything but...but it seems like every time I am there now I am low on gas and the gas stations are nowhere close...it never seems to fail. Can't make a u-turn anywhere either.

mtbr member
    Kind of off topic , but o well. Moving from Ohio to San Diego i noticed the no u turns intersections and having to turn on an arrow, they didn't make any sense at first. But now that i have driven in Ca i understand the point of them. Out of all the times i have driven in Orange county, I also noticed that driving is a little bit more agressive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pizza Port in San Clemente

mtbr member
    Yeah that is on my list of places to go, i hope it isn't as popular as the Carlsbad one. I like intimate places to drink, but I can deal with crowded places.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    lots of trail options from cooks corner

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    Kind of off topic , but o well. Moving from Ohio to San Diego i noticed the no u turns intersections and having to turn on an arrow, they didn't make any sense at first. But now that i have driven in Ca i understand the point of them. Out of all the times i have driven in Orange county, I also noticed that driving is a little bit more agressive.
    Driving in CALIFORNIA is a bit more aggressive than Ohio. LOL, This state has some bad drivers, many of which moved to California from out of state.... Or are from Baja California.

Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    Yeah that is on my list of places to go, i hope it isn't as popular as the Carlsbad one. I like intimate places to drink, but I can deal with crowded places.
    I think the San Clemente location is a bit more chill, but you really just need to go during non-rush hour food times. I like to hit up the Carlsbad Location later in the evening, 930pm or so cause then most of the kiddies are gone. I don't normally go on the weekends, though my wife and I went there 2 Saturday's ago for a late lunch.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

whatever she says gueuze.
    Since the topic of conversation is PP, did anyone make it out to their Real Ale fest recently? I heard it was going to be their last one, which probably is due to the fact that Jeff isn't there anymore or will be leaving. Boo hoo. In my opinion, that was one of their best festivals because it kind of weeded out the 'frat boy- I wanna get wasted' crowd.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Driving in CALIFORNIA is a bit more aggressive than Ohio. LOL, This state has some bad drivers, many of which moved to California from out of state.... Or are from Baja California.
    San Diego drivers are far better than the hacks up here in the Bay Area, because at least everyone goes the same speed down there (fast.) Up here you have some drivers going fast, and a lot of terrible drivers cruising along under the speed limit. Makes for a dangerous combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I think the San Clemente location is a bit more chill, but you really just need to go during non-rush hour food times. I like to hit up the Carlsbad Location later in the evening, 930pm or so cause then most of the kiddies are gone. I don't normally go on the weekends, though my wife and I went there 2 Saturday's ago for a late lunch.
    The popular vibe of PP Carlsbad is one of the reasons I like going there, although getting a place to sit can be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    Since the topic of conversation is PP, did anyone make it out to their Real Ale fest recently? I heard it was going to be their last one, which probably is due to the fact that Jeff isn't there anymore or will be leaving. Boo hoo. In my opinion, that was one of their best festivals because it kind of weeded out the 'frat boy- I wanna get wasted' crowd.
    That's a great festival!

Members who have read this thread: 0