Left Hand Brewing Company- Mtbr.com
    dadamamabooboo

Left Hand Brewing Company

I love stouts..big stouts, little stouts, short stouts, tall stouts..pour me one and I'll get rid of it.

Left Hand Brewing Company is in Denver, CO and for whatever reason, it isn't available in Arkansas. Hard to understand as this place is like an epicenter for all things good and cultural..

It's called Milk Stout Nitro and here's how much I like it: I travel back and forth between here and Santa Barbara, CA about every 2-3 months. There a place in the DEN airport called Timberline Steak House or grill, something like that, in Terminal C. I will schedule a flight layover of 4 hours rather than connect through Houston or Dallas with only an hour lay..just so I can imbibe.

It's called a milk stout because it uses lactose in the brewing process, not because it has 'milk' in it. But man, there's no smoother, creamier head, and I've tried about every craft stout I can buy locally. I love the stuff.

Anyone else know of it? Tried it? Feel good beer..me below enjoying..before and after:

Name:  photo (1).JPG
Views: 427
Size:  52.1 KBName:  photo (2).JPG
Views: 415
Size:  50.6 KBLeft Hand Brewing Company-photo-2.jpg
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub

mtbr member
    I'll usually have one or three at Flying Star in Albuquerque. Fortunately it's available to me any day of the week or at Whole Foods if I would like to bring some home. No layover required.
    Last edited by Mr. 68 Hundred; 08-25-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: I can't speel
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

dadamamabooboo
    Fella, you just broke my heart!

How does it stand in your top fave beers?
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub

mtbr member
    In all honesty, it's been so hot here I've taken a break from stouts. I'll have to arrange a taste test once it cools off. I will certainly appreciate it more from now on knowing the extent you go to get it.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

dadamamabooboo
    Yes, how can you sleep at night now knowing this? At least too I now know that ABQ is an acceptable lay along the way!

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    That stuff is very good. They also do not Distribute to California, a Rep told my wife it is because California Distributor's demanded more than they could provide. It is available in NYC for some reason though....

My wife travels every spring/summer for trade shows and always brings some home from NYC and Denver. We visited the brewery a year ago when we took a brewcation to Colorado.

Possibly the creamiest stout you can get from a bottle pour.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hands down ( pun definitely intended ) my favorite Milk stout, Living in WY I too drink this beer at my leisure. Sorry to rub it in!

Cheers

mtbr member

Definitely recommend a hard pour as the head is like whipped cream. Best milk stout I've had for sure. Believe they're out of Ft Collins.
    Starting to see more nitro options popping up. Definitely increases the creaminess, no matter the style of brew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broken Hipster
    I'm on a Left Hand pils kick lately after grabbing a sampler case a few months ago. Been drinking their milk stout for a while now. Delicious!

keep the shiny side up!
    I tried it for the first time this last winter and unfortunately I have to drive to a different state to find it! It is so good, I dream about it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would like to try it on nitro tap. I had a six pack once and found it a bit too sweet for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I would like to try it on nitro tap. I had a six pack once and found it a bit too sweet for my tastes.
    I much prefer it on tap vs. from the bottle, living in Ft. Collins has it's perks and a plentiful variety of good beers on tap and in the liquor stores is one of them.

That said, while I do enjoy Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout I can't say its my favorite. Odell's Lugene chocolate milk stout winter seasonal is my go to when I'm in that kind of mood.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wankel View Post
    That said, while I do enjoy Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout I can't say its my favorite. Odell's Lugene chocolate milk stout winter seasonal is my go to when I'm in that kind of mood.
    Lugene..... mmm. When there last year Odell had the BA version on Nitro in the Brewery Tap Room. I bought a growler to bring home with me.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

dadamamabooboo
    Klurejr..you've..been to Left Hand Mecca? God.. They'd have carried me out. And yes it is in Fort Collins.

307_29er - So it's in WY, too? (Makes note) Another acceptable layover: Cheyenne

Slow Danger - I've never had it any other way but on tap, but i'd sure like to try a bottle some time.

Phat_Head - Maybe we'll see each other in our dreams drinking it! Seriously though, what state do YOU drive to get it? Maybe if it's only a state or two away, I'll make the drive!

Dr Wankel - I can't remember it's exact name, but once at DEN they didn't have Left Hand's Milk Stout Nitro, but I think it was called a kind of chocolate stout..liked it about as much I think. They'd probably be my TWO fave beers, whatever it was.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just a small correction - Left Hand Brewery is located in Longmont, CO (a 30 minute drive south of Ft. Collins).

Brewery Tour | Left Hand Brewing

I do agree that both Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro and O'Dell's chocolate milk stout are Incredible!

WTF is downcountry?
    Left hand is one of the better breweries on the front range, their Black jack porter and Imperial stout are both very nice as well. Longmont is also home to Oskar Blues and they recently did a nitro version of one of my fav brews Old chub, it's better than the original!

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchillcar View Post
    Klurejr..you've..been to Left Hand Mecca? God.. They'd have carried me out. And yes it is in Fort Collins.
    As pointed out by someone else, it is in Longmont, but pretty close to fort collins.

Here is my Beercation report from last year:

http://forums.mtbr.com/beer-forum/be...-a-889967.html

MTBR Posting Guidelines

dadamamabooboo
    Checked out the beercation. Tough because now I gotta drag into the kitchen and settle for any one of the 6 beers I bought at the grocery the other night..the kind where you pick and choose your 6-pack. I...I did the best I could. Guys..it's a little sketchy in the fridge.

I'm thirsty. And this is gonna hurt..

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just so happens I'm in astoria oregon for vacation. I'll be headed home Saturday so I'll stop by vancouver Washington and pick some up before i head home to sacramento cali. I'll snag a case. Colorado has good beers. I can't believe i never heard of this company. And i live in denver!!

mtbr member
    I've got two 15.5 kegs of it in my beer cooler, running it on nitro. Although it's a great beer I tend to not notice it, probably due to the other 94 kegs that are in the cooler.
    AKA: G-wat

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaBum View Post
    Just so happens I'm in astoria oregon for vacation.
    Go to Fort George Brewery while you are in Astoria. They make some great beer.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's perfect. I'm a few blocks away on the river front. I'll check it out!

mtbr member
    Left Hand Milk Stout is in my top 5 of all time. For those in Georgia, it is available for sure in my area bottled and at the local growler bar. I'm hoping to visit the brewery when I head back to CO in Spring. Cheers!
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

It's not enough to bash in heads
    , you've got to bash in minds. - Captain Hammer

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So I took a two hour detour through Portland, OR traffic to get across the river into Vancouver, WA and buy some lefthand brew.

I had to drive back to Sacramento, CA and it was already noon so I had no time to stop and enjoy a brew at a nice overlook at the Oregon/California border. Not to mention the heavy smoke that laid upon the landscape.

Needless to say.. Im about to pull a couple out of the fridge to warm up to about 45 degrees and Ill pour hard & enjoy..

dadamamabooboo
    damn...there it is! imabum, did you pour and enjoy? you're even holding it there in the right...err, correct hand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you stop through DEN/DIA frequently, terminal C also has "Root Down", a pretty good farm-to-table restaurant with a good local beer list:

http://www.rootdowndenver.com/wp-con...Drink-List.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    damn...there it is! imabum, did you pour and enjoy? you're even holding it there in the right...err, correct hand.
    I did pour hard and enjoyed timely.

Now while its not my type of beer Id enjoy on the regular, I did enjoy the unique taste and flow it provided.

Im glad I got two cases of it - it really is good.. and I cant wait to enjoy the 2nd case in the months to come..

Down side is I didnt get a buzz until the 6th beer.. which simply means I didnt get to quite enjoy the better half of the word beer..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ah yes the milk stout nitro, It's all about pouring it hard. I like that left hand includes glassware and temperature suggestions on the bottle; Certain beers need instructions.. Also, I know it's a different style of beer, but Left Hand has their sawtooth ale available in nitro as well, really worth a try.. I was a huge fan of the regular sawtooth, but the nitro.. Wow. The 400 lb monkey isn't bad either.. Honestly I love all their beer, but the milk stout nitro takes the cake hands down.. If your state or local beer vendor doesn't carry it, it's because they hate you.. Haha

dadamamabooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester4 View Post
    If your state or local beer vendor doesn't carry it, it's because they hate you.. Haha
    Yes, yes..it's absolutely true..they do hate me. I've tried hating them back to no avail! But I'll keep hating until I'm drinking it here.

dadamamabooboo
    Im glad I got two cases of it - it really is good.. and I cant wait to enjoy the 2nd case in the months to come..

Down side is I didnt get a buzz until the 6th beer.. which simply means I didnt get to quite enjoy the better half of the word beer..

Christ..you got two cases of it?! :O And you managed 6 at once?? My god 6 would last me 2 days...and 2 cases? LOL..I envy your fridge.

mtbr member
    Hey I was just drinkin that stuff the other day! Yum. Expensive though.

Broken Hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Hey I was just drinkin that stuff the other day! Yum. Expensive though.
    Seriously. I believe I paid 10 and change for a sixer the other day.
    I need to talk my boss into putting it on tap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Christ..you got two cases of it?! :O And you managed 6 at once?? My god 6 would last me 2 days...and 2 cases? LOL..I envy your fridge.
    Well I figured if I liked it.. I might as well have some extras to toss around! If not, I could just give em to friends. But even my girl likes it, and she's not a beer drinker at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman1 View Post
    Yeah.. stuff is expensive. My two cases in total cost me roughly $240. And three days worth of driving just to get to the nearest state that sells it!

dadamamabooboo
    My two cases in total cost me roughly $240. And three days worth of driving just to get to the nearest state that sells it!
    why..you're not a bum...you're a hero! if i lived near you i'd so be your friend!

mtbr member
    I went through the left hand milk stout phase. Its almost like a desert. Very decadent.
    Then they came out with the nitro, which a lot of people prefer, but to me its almost too smooth if that's possible. I like the regular version better I think.

I quit drinking it because I am lactose intolerant and they are not lying about using lactose in that beer. I can't drink it without blowing the butt bugle.

The lactose gives its very silky mouth feel, and combined with the sweetness, makes it almost like drinking chocolate milk.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Barman1 View Post
    There's only one place in my town that I know has it and it was $12 this past weekend. Definitely not my daily drinker!

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post

I quit drinking it because I am lactose intolerant and they are not lying about using lactose in that beer. I can't drink it without blowing the butt bugle.
    Yep I hear ya. Beer in general gasses me up and that stuff had me tearin ass all night the other night. Every once in a while it's worth it. Maybe not to the people around me...

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Dang! Nitro is one of my favs too, beat out only by Dragon's Milk and Yeti. I feel for you guys who have to go across state lines for it. My beer store around the corner always has it.

dadamamabooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    Dang! Nitro is one of my favs too, beat out only by Dragon's Milk and Yeti. I feel for you guys who have to go across state lines for it. My beer store around the corner always has it.
    Goddam. Another Sam Adams Cream Stout and I will surely die :0

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Never had their milk stout but I LOVE their Sawtooth Nitro. A local bar in here in Philadelphia routinely gets their hands on a keg or 2. I'd love to try more of their beer if more of it was distributed locally.

-DS
    2011 Trek Rumblefish II

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm so happy I discovered this thread. I have been drinking left hand beer, especially nitro milk stouts, for quite a while!

It is easily one of my favorite beers of all time, and definitely my favorite stout. It is usually available here in TN, at around 8.99 for a 6-pack from the grocery store. If not there you can definitely find it at any liquor store that sells craft beer, but usually for $10.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Starting in May/June Lefthand is coming back to California. I am pretty stoked about that.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    If you stop through DEN/DIA frequently, terminal C also has "Root Down", a pretty good farm-to-table restaurant with a good local beer list:

http://www.rootdowndenver.com/wp-con...Drink-List.pdf
    i was just there last week. solid food & drink (esp for an airport). there were a couple left hands (including the nitro) on tap. they had a tasty seasonal sour (not sure who made the stuff), and the oskar blues imperial red ipa was great - huge fresh hop aromatics. the place made for an enjoyable layover for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Starting in May/June Lefthand is coming back to California. I am pretty stoked about that.
    Yeah, it's been here a while and it's one of my favorite all time beers. I had to wait about three years to try one, it's been worth it.