Just paid $10 for a beer.- Mtbr.com
    Flat Pluto Society

Just paid $10 for a beer.

Yup.

After I cringed at Costco's $11 price for a 4-pack of Knee Deep's Tahoe Deep (4 pint cans), I had no qualms (huh) about paying $9 for a pint (plus a buck tip, for what?) of Morgan Territories' stout in Woodbridge. Yup, it was good, dammit, but not that good.

But. The ambiance meant a lot, in this case. This was a fairly new place in an ancient building in Woodbridge, just outside of Lodi, and they had a few taps of good beer, and the tap handle display was crazy. Super-old building, with a huge basement set up with a nice stereo and a pool table. Bands play every now and then, apparently.

Dog friendly.

Blurt.

Prices are out of hand, folks. I still like drinking a dollar beer at home. Wtf are these people thinking? Nice to get out and enjoy stuff, but prices are crazy.
    After I had a $10 pint, I filled up with $4 a gallon gas. Sheeesh.

Just paid  for a beer.-endo-copty.jpg

Just paid  for a beer.-basement.jpg

Just paid  for a beer.-endo-stair.jpg
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Cycologist
    I paid that twenty years ago when I lived in Tokyo for just a typical Japanese beer. But in the US, yeah, that's a lot, especially if there aren't any "dancers".
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I didn't know Chipotle allowed dogs now.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    I didn't know Chipotle allowed dogs now.
    Yeah, just don't feed them the food, it makes them sick.

There was another tap handle display like this one. Thassalotta handles.

Just paid  for a beer.-message_1558300294378%7E2.jpg

Just paid  for a beer.-20190519_141420%7E2.jpg
    Anti demagogue.

EDR
    Been paying ~9 USD for Malka Blonde at the hotel bar here in Israel during my stay. It's good, nothing earth shattering. I need to get to a store.

mtbr member
    It's nuts, but I try to only do it a few times a year, when being social. Besides, the tavern I did this last Friday shares the name of the neighborhood open space I ride in. We were pretty sure they were serving fake Pliny though... or a batch that had been mishandled.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, just don't feed them the food, it makes them sick.

There was another tap handle display like this one. Thassalotta handles.
    Is that stuff they have in rotation or just for decoration? Either way, very cool. Kinda like a museum of brews (brew-seum?).
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Well, you weren't paying for just the beer, right? You were paying to drink the beer in a cool place. I agree, it's easy to pay too much for beer at a cool place, but it's worth it sometimes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    besides, it's not good to drink all those cheap beers at home alone..so they say.

for me, it's a social thing. flirt with the bartender girl, laugh with buds, etc. theres a cost for the fun factor.

and that last pic with the dog was awesome.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Gigantic Hawk
    The quality of the beer helps to dictate the final price. Good ingredients are not cheap, and small brewers don't have the buying power of AB or similar.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    The quality of the beer helps to dictate the final price. Good ingredients are not cheap, and small brewers don't have the buying power of AB or similar.
    You're right of course, and there are other factors involved in the price, too.

I was just shocked at the price- I'd never paid that much for a beer, ever.
    Anti demagogue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    $10 per pint usually doesn't happen because the bar will often cut the serving size down to a 12oz or 10oz pour for the higher ABV beers. I'm actually more surprised that they served it in a pint size.

I have no problem with spending a bit on a nice stout and sipping on it over the next two hours if the atmosphere is right. But if the bar was dead I'd probably opt for a simple IPA with some food and head home.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post

I have no problem with spending a bit on a nice stout and sipping on it over the next two hours if the atmosphere is right. But if the bar was dead I'd probably opt for a simple IPA with some food and head home.
    Pretty much what I did, but it was a stout (Morgan Territory), and they have no food. So I probably left right before you did.
    Anti demagogue.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Here in Oakland, places like Cato's Ale House, and Ben N Nicks, are at $8 per pint. Its rough. Usually one beer out of 20 on tap at $7. Just a year or 2 ago, beer was $5-7. Now $8-9. I always said "Beer is almost the same price as 20 yrs ago!" No longer the case. I too have been having pints "Out" less. I make twice the money in wages, than in the 1990's, and beer is slightly less than twice as much and it bothers me. Grumpy old man. Funny thing is, I now drink 20% of the beer compared to 25 years ago, but it hurts 3 times worse the next day. Ha.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Here in Oakland, places like Cato's Ale House, and Ben N Nicks, are at $8 per pint. Its rough. Usually one beer out of 20 on tap at $7. Just a year or 2 ago, beer was $5-7. Now $8-9. I always said "Beer is almost the same price as 20 yrs ago!" No longer the case. I too have been having pints "Out" less. I make twice the money in wages, than in the 1990's, and beer is slightly less than twice as much and it bothers me. Grumpy old man. Funny thing is, I now drink 20% of the beer compared to 25 years ago, but it hurts 3 times worse the next day. Ha.
    I have a sister in Oakland, I visit once a month or so. What breweries (with & without food) can you recommend that are fairly close to Pacifica Senior Living?

And have you ever been here? https://degrees-plato-tap-room-bottl...business.site/

Thanks!
    Anti demagogue.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Not been there. I am 51, been in Oakland 20 yrs. I dont go where any crime is in Oakland, and I hang out only in gentrified areas, Piedmont, College Ave area, and Montclair. So younger more "hip" guys can chime in. I love Faction Brewing in Alameda (food trucks & In n Out on the way). Novel Brewery in Emeryville has dececent street parking, no food. Ghost Town is fresh beer, I only love 2 of 8 there, but cool setup for bikes inside, I dont hang in that hood after 7pm. I used hang at The Trappist, downtown by police station, its worth a stop to checkout taps (not brewery). Hoi Polloi and Rose's taprooms are frequented by MTBR member Flat Pedals, I need to hit up Hoi Polloi more often. One of my goals in Oakland, is to never be in jail after a DUI in Spandex, so alot of "one and done" beer stops for me. Ben N Nicks (not brewery) on College is a great hang out for window seat (big door windows, so you are basically out front) during BART evening rush hour. New flock of cute commuters from SF financial district to gawk at every 8 minutes, keeps the smiles on after a JMP Friday slacker ride. Original Field Work is only 1 minute off hwy 80 at Gillman w/ indoor bike racks, which is awesome beacause you can park blocks away and coast bike in for a landing. Also, Drakes Dealership is downtown, 1/2 their employees used to work at Pyramid Brewery, solid service there. I have been into Drakes Pale Ale lately, very solid! Lake Chalet is okay beer, good place to people watch, I've seen Warriors hang there (avoid during NBA playoffs month, madhouse).
    Last edited by hoolie; 1 Week Ago at 09:54 AM.

Flat Pluto Society
    Well, I'm no Chuck Norris, so I'll heed your advice, lol.

Thanks for the plethora of info.
    Anti demagogue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    If it's a nice day definitely make the trip to Faction. Bring a hat and sunglasses and sit outside and enjoy an amazing view of SF.

Fieldwork is a nice spot. What hoolie said about being able to park extra far away then ride your bike in is exactly what I do (it helps that you can lock your MTB up inside the bar rather than leave it in your car/truck).

+ Temescal Brewing. I've enjoyed the IPAs that I've had from them, and I've heard really good things about their brewery, but I haven't been there myself.

+ The Rare Barrel (all sour beers, but they typically have about 6 guest taps with standard IPA/Pale Ale/Stout/etc.)

I used to do that Alcatraz/College -> BART -> SF Financial District commute. Fun times. There's Trappists Provisions at College/Alcatraz but I don't think they allow outdoor seating because booze. There's not too many taps here and it skews towards the more expensive styles of beer, so maybe pass on this one.

mtbr member
    Usually ABV coincides with price. Higher ABV beers cost more because they usually require bigger grain bills and sometimes techniques that are time consuming. Barrel aging takes time and also a loss of product during the aging process. I regularly spend $10 or more for a 750mm of a quality beer. I've adapted the philosophy of "Drink better drink less". If you're drinking at a Tap house that carries a large selection of beers you're going to pay a premium.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+