Professional Crastinator

Imperial & Double IPAs

So, I've heard someone say that IPAs are for hipster beer drinking posers. Well, the antidote for that, if that is to be believed, is the Imperial IPA. You can't pretend to like this stuff. You either do or you don't. I'm grouping Doubles and Imperial Red Ales in there as well.
    These are some brews I can taste! The IIPAs and DIPAs seem to get my approval at almost 100%, whereas IPAs I like about 50/50. There are some bad ones. ...and quit putting fruit in the beer.

I've been keeping a list in my phone for awhile, but the good thing about these is that 1) I like them; and 2) they are typically readily available.

The Brew Kettle - Old 21, El Lupelo Libre
    Great Lakes Brewing - Nosferatu, Chill Wave, Hop Madness, Lake Erie Monster (I like Chillwave better)
    Heavy Seas - Double Cannon
    Columbus Brewing - Bodhi, Creeper
    Victory Brewing - Hop Ranch, Dirt Wolf
    Fat Heads - Hop Juju, Hop Marauder, Bonehead Red
    Rheingeist - Sabre Tooth Tiger (never tasted Oddjob, but somehow blood orange found its way in so I immediately disregarded it)
    Dogfish Head - 90 Minute IPA (I've had the 120 Minute IPA, but I don't distinctly remember it...)
    Breckenridge - 471 (<--- ohh, that's good)
    Southern Tier - 2XIPA, 2XSMASH (also good)

What am I missing?
    (..that a midwesterner can actually obtain)

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I didn't know IPAs were for hipster. I thought they drank PBR for irony. I do think that IPAs are still the trendy beer, if only for the title - people can order or ask for an IPA and think they sound like they know what they are talking about. Not that I care. If it means more beer for me to try, I'm happy. Double IPA and Imperial IPAs are the same style. The "double" is referring to the 2 I 's in "Imperial India Pale Ale." Generally, the "Imperial" in the title means it's a higher ABV beer. Most brewers then need to increase the hoppyness to balance the higher alchohol (as well as the grainprofile). You are right that the amount of hop flavoring in them might turn off the trendy/hipster beer drinkers. Personally I love them. But I also love most regular IPAs.

A couple I enjoy:
    Surly - Abrasive (IIPA) and Todd the Axe Man (hoppy IPA)
    Bells Hopslam (seasonal - Jan-Feb) and Oracle (seasonal - July)
    Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet (seasonal - Jan) and Hoptimum (Triple IPA, seasonal - should be available now -May-June)

CHEERS!!!

mtbr member
    Taos Mesa Brewing has some IPA's in their taps every IPA connoisseur should try, La Cumbre's Elevated is high in my ranks too.

mtbr member
    mmmm... double IPA's =)

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    I didn't know IPAs were for hipster. I thought they drank PBR for irony. I do think that IPAs are still the trendy beer, if only for the title - people can order or ask for an IPA and think they sound like they know what they are talking about.

Bells Hopslam

CHEERS!!!

Hopslam! Forgot about that one.

-F

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post

Hopslam! Forgot about that one.

-F
    I still love Hopslam. I know it gets bashed more and more each year. People say it's over hyped or not as good as years past. I agree it changes each year, but in at least the last 5 I don't think I've had a bad year yet. As far as being "Hypeslam" whatever... I drink it because I enjoy it, not for its hype. But I do get pretty excited when I hear the release date. :P

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    your definitions are odd to me. IIPA and DIPA both mean "Double India Pale Ale"

and Imperial IPA is a close second to the definition.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

I only drink double dry hopped triple ipa's.

Professional Crastinator

My indiscriminate palate thinks they're all the same thing.

-F

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    But how do you feel about NEDIPA's?

mtbr member
    Eddyline Epic Day is a pretty good one as well.

The Dogfish Head 120, "they say" is supposed to age before you drink it. I tried one fresh and it was pretty hot. In the neighborhood of 19%ABV leaves a little burn to it. Got some in the basement with about two years on it so far.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member

So what's the difference? I always thought they were different ways of labelling high alcohol IPAs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    Taos Mesa Brewing has some IPA's in their taps every IPA connoisseur should try, La Cumbre's Elevated is high in my ranks too.
    Project Dank is where it's at.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    So what's the difference? I always thought they were different ways of labelling high alcohol IPAs.
    No difference. All the same. High ABV India Pale Ale = Imperial IPA (Imperial India Pale Ale) = IIPA (Imperial India Pale Ale) = Double IPA (Imperial India Pale Ale) = DIPA (Imperial India Pale Ale). It's all just whatever the brewery decides to call it.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    No difference. All the same. High ABV India Pale Ale = Imperial IPA (Imperial India Pale Ale) = IIPA (Imperial India Pale Ale) = Double IPA (Imperial India Pale Ale) = DIPA (Imperial India Pale Ale). It's all just whatever the brewery decides to call it.
    I always thought the double I was to represent DOUBLE as in "II" or 2 or twice.... lol.

But yes, some people feel an IPA becomes a double at 7.5%, but a brewer friend of mine thinks that number should be higher.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Professional Crastinator
    I always thought the double I was to represent DOUBLE as in "II" or 2 or twice.... lol.

But yes, some people feel an IPA becomes a double at 7.5%, but a brewer friend of mine thinks that number should be higher.
    Many of our local brewers start at 7.5%. Doubles/Imperials > 8.5%
    Moderation is key. Flavor is key. Wait, that's 2 keys...

-F

mtbr member
    this is fact

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I still love Hopslam. I know it gets bashed more and more each year. People say it's over hyped or not as good as years past. I agree it changes each year, but in at least the last 5 I don't think I've had a bad year yet. As far as being "Hypeslam" whatever... I drink it because I enjoy it, not for its hype. But I do get pretty excited when I hear the release date. :P
    I love it, but didn't care for it this year. I was sick when I drank it and it had a metallic taste.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    So, I've heard someone say that IPAs are for hipster beer drinking posers. Well, the antidote for that, if that is to be believed, is the Imperial IPA. You can't pretend to like this stuff. You either do or you don't. I'm grouping Doubles and Imperial Red Ales in there as well.
    These are some brews I can taste! The IIPAs and DIPAs seem to get my approval at almost 100%, whereas IPAs I like about 50/50. There are some bad ones. ...and quit putting fruit in the beer.

I've been keeping a list in my phone for awhile, but the good thing about these is that 1) I like them; and 2) they are typically readily available.

The Brew Kettle - Old 21, El Lupelo Libre
    Great Lakes Brewing - Nosferatu, Chill Wave, Hop Madness, Lake Erie Monster (I like Chillwave better)
    Heavy Seas - Double Cannon
    Columbus Brewing - Bodhi, Creeper
    Victory Brewing - Hop Ranch, Dirt Wolf
    Fat Heads - Hop Juju, Hop Marauder, Bonehead Red
    Rheingeist - Sabre Tooth Tiger (never tasted Oddjob, but somehow blood orange found its way in so I immediately disregarded it)
    Dogfish Head - 90 Minute IPA (I've had the 120 Minute IPA, but I don't distinctly remember it...)
    Breckenridge - 471 (<--- ohh, that's good)
    Southern Tier - 2XIPA, 2XSMASH (also good)

What am I missing?
    (..that a midwesterner can actually obtain)

-F
    I agree with you on the no fruit for sure, I will go a step further with coriander and orange. Yuck. I don't like most IPA's and have quit even trying them. I like brown ales the best and porters are my next favorite. I have been drinking Devil's Backbone Vienna Style lager lately. Green Man ESB is pretty good.

I haven't been on this forum longer than 24 hours now so I haven't figured out where the majority of you guys are geographically and the beer brands tend to vary depending on where you are. I traveled to Connecticut last month and had a beer called "Dock Time" from a local brewery called "Stony Creek" that I really enjoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Never fully understood what a 'hipster' is (nor do I care). I do know what a DIPA is and I like 'em in whatever name given. It's awesome that most places have many great choices of local brews.

From your list I've only heard of 3 (Dogfish, Southern Tier, Victory). Around here (CT) there's typically choices from CT, VT, NH, MA, ME, NY on tap. I'm sure if I listed stuff local to me you would give me the same answer. Good beer is brewed all over the world. When I travel, I always choose something local!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Professional Crastinator

Add Uinta Detour to the list

Name:  10997672345630.png
Views: 336
Size:  87.5 KB

-f

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    IMO there is a huge difference in taste between an imperial india pale ale and all the other ipas. My all time favorite, I think they sadly quit making it, was deviant dales imperial ipa. It looked about like a can of pbr but is was a fantastic beer to down with a nice dinner or ect.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    IMO there is a huge difference in taste between an imperial india pale ale and all the other ipas. My all time favorite, I think they sadly quit making it, was deviant dales imperial ipa. It looked about like a can of pbr but is was a fantastic beer to down with a nice dinner or ect.
    Deviant Dales is also one of my faves, but I've only had it maybe twice. I didn't know it was an imperial. We have a local brewer that made a similar tasting beer at ~7.5% (100 IBU), but they have since changed the recipe to something more generic. Hopefully they reconsider.

https://www.oskarblues.com/blog/devi...mited-release/
    Not sure what the current state is. Limited release at best, I guess.

-F

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Deviant Dales is also one of my faves, but I've only had it maybe twice. I didn't know it was an imperial. We have a local brewer that made a similar tasting beer at ~7.5% (100 IBU), but they have since changed the recipe to something more generic. Hopefully they reconsider.

https://www.oskarblues.com/blog/devi...mited-release/
    Not sure what the current state is. Limited release at best, I guess.

-F
    https://www.oskarblues.com/blog/devi...mited-release/ It is a really strong beer so it goes well with a big dinner when space is limited in your stomach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Around here (CT) there's typically choices from CT, VT, NH, MA, ME, NY on tap. I'm sure if I listed stuff local to me you would give me the same answer. Good beer is brewed all over the world. When I travel, I always choose something local!
    As a CT resident I'd love to hear what local stuff you're drinking!

Some of my CT Favorites are:

Firefly Hollow Brewing, Coneflakes - Bristol
    CT Valley Brewing, New Frontier - South Windsor
    Beer'd Brewing, Stonington - Hobbit Juice

I drink a lot of Sip of Sunshine too. At 8% it's an IPA that has more ABV than a lot of doubles.

I know people love Treehouse around here. I like their beers a lot, but it isn't the end-all be-all for me. I know people that make frequent trips to the brewery and come home with multiple cases. At $4-$5 a can, I can't justify buying cases of the stuff. My buddy is dragging me up there next week. I won't go hog wild though. I think...
    AreBee

Professional Crastinator
    Adding Flying Dog The Truth (not to be confused with Rhinegeist Truth)

I tried Renegade Summer Tan on draught - not surmising that "Tan" was short for tangerine.
    It was light and fruity - just like DIPAs aren't supposed to be.

-F

mtbr member
    DIPA's are so 2016...(or was that 2014?...2012?)

But they are damn good and one of my favorites.

I'm having difficulty saying this, having grown up with the microbrewing movement in Oregon...living with brewers and pouring beer daily for a time, and loving the West in general...but NEDIPA's are really kicking ass

Last trip to NE:

Nightshift The 87 was a standout, and of course more of the amazing Heady Topper from Alchemist
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

passed out in your garden
    If it aint got a cool name, or cool label, l aint trying it

seems to be what its about these days........
    always mad and usually drunk......

Young, Shawn Young
    Its just about drinking a good beer. I love IPAs' of all make and models! I feel like we are living in the golden age of beer drinking. I have only had a few beers that I would never try again....one of them was a curry indian beer. I dont remember the name as I had to strike it from my brain and palate.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    If it aint got a cool name, or cool label, l aint trying it

seems to be what its about these days........
    I agree. I dig that new breweries are opening up every week here in Connecticut, but at some point you have to back it up with good beer. More focus seems to be placed on coming up with creative and/or silly names for a beer and not the actual quality of the beer.

Then the model seems to be, brew a beer with hop #1, #2 and #3 and give it a witty name. Replace hop # 1 with hop # 4 and give it another witty name. Replace hop #2 with hop #5 and repeat. Oh yeah, by the way, $17.99 per 4-pack! With every brewery doing the same thing, brand loyalty is all but gone.

I like the brewery experience. I'll sit down with my wife have a few beers, maybe bring in some take out or buy something at the food truck. The thing is, if the beer sucks, I don't care what clever name it was given, I'm not going back. At some point the cream will rise to the top and the pretenders will fall off.
    AreBee

Yeet so hard
    Love me some DIPA. I recently was up in Vermont riding and drinking, and had the pleasure to stop at The Alchemist. Phenomenal beer. NEIPA, AIPA, DIPA, all of it. We had 4 guys and we each spent over $150 on beer to go lol

I like the really juicy dipas best. I had my first 120 minute recently and it had that malty sweetness which I wasn't a fan of. Lake Erie Monster had the same flavor.

If you ever wind up near Rochester, NY look up Swiftwater brewing. Their "DIPA Brah" is amazing. Also, there are a butt ton of breweries in the city if you want to bike around and hit them up.

Oh, and there is decent bike stuff too
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by arebee View Post
    i agree. I dig that new breweries are opening up every week here in connecticut, but at some point you have to back it up with good beer. More focus seems to be placed on coming up with creative and/or silly names for a beer and not the actual quality of the beer.

Then the model seems to be, brew a beer with hop #1, #2 and #3 and give it a witty name. Replace hop # 1 with hop # 4 and give it another witty name. Replace hop #2 with hop #5 and repeat. Oh yeah, by the way, $17.99 per 4-pack! With every brewery doing the same thing, brand loyalty is all but gone.

I like the brewery experience. I'll sit down with my wife have a few beers, maybe bring in some take out or buy something at the food truck. The thing is, if the beer sucks, i don't care what clever name it was given, i'm not going back. At some point the cream will rise to the top and the pretenders will fall off.
    +1!

-f

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    As much as people like to bash it, I live less than three miles from Russian River Brewing and I try to keep a growler of Pliny The Elder on hand as much as possible.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post

I know people love Treehouse around here. I like their beers a lot, but it isn't the end-all be-all for me. I know people that make frequent trips to the brewery and come home with multiple cases. At $4-$5 a can, I can't justify buying cases of the stuff. My buddy is dragging me up there next week. I won't go hog wild though. I think...
    I went hog wild.

My buddy bailed on me at the last minute and I went alone after work and didn't hang out long. I waited in line for less than five minutes and walked away with four different types. Two IPAs and two DIPAs.

I picked up a little over a case and a half knowing that I had a group of Treehouse fans coming over for a get together.

Everyone who came over last night brought Treehouse. I tried five different Treehouse beers and all were very different and all were extremely good. I tried like hell not to be a fanboy, but really enjoyed every beer. Unlike some other breweries, the differences in these beers were easy to identify. Not sure how I woke up feeling great this morning after five beers at 7.0+%!
    AreBee

mtbr member
    I definitely enjoyed the beers I got from Treehouse (Haze, Julius, Bright and one other I can't recall) and haven't found anything locally (NZ) that has the same level of soft juicyness. I'm not sure how often I'd drink it if I lived locally, but IMO Haze sets the standard for what I expect from a NEIPA now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    As much as people like to bash it, I live less than three miles from Russian River Brewing and I try to keep a growler of Pliny The Elder on hand as much as possible.
    I thought Pliny the Elder may have just been hype until my neighbor did a blind taste test party with so many west coast style DIPAs and IPAs I was hurting the next day. A couple of us knew it when we tasted the Elder, the complexity and balance of the flavor was just on a higher level than the other stuff that day. It probably gets more hype than it deserves, especially if you have access to a ton of top quality west coast DIPAs, but it is worth trying if you like that style and it doesn't take you a ton of effort to acquire some.

For a super easy to acquire DIPA around here, I pick up Stone Ruination before the Dogfish stuff, but it's kind of splitting hairs when choosing the less rare stuff that I have access to.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You need to try New England Style IPAs like Sloop, Trillium, Treehouse, Foam, Burlington Beer Company, Other Half, Equilibrium, Grimm, Singlecut, Foreign Objects.

These are all "hazy IPAs" that have tropical notes to it and are highly addictive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Imperial &amp; Double IPAs-unnamed.jpg  

Imperial &amp; Double IPAs-18527940_10100603050349527_1865438979372962407_n.jpg  

Imperial &amp; Double IPAs-18486043_10100599018294797_1931626519787642973_n.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I was in Stratton, VT last weekend and picked up some Second Fiddle from Fiddle head Brewing and It's Complicated Being a Wizard from Burlington Brewing.

Very high-quality DIPAs.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

-f
    If you're ever in southeast Ohio...
    Athens, Jackie O's on west Union: Groove Tube or Seafoam
    Jackson, Sixth Sense on Main st: Murk Juice

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonryen View Post
    One of my best friends from HS is one of Jackie Os distributors. Used to be a brewer there, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    ^

Nice! Wish they would bottle Groove Tube, it's stellar! Only available at their pub.

Professional Crastinator
    Funny you should mention Seafoam. It seems to have just recently appeared up here in NEO. I don't like the name, but, on your recommendo, I will try it.
    Prost!

-F

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Funny you should mention Seafoam. It seems to have just recently appeared up here in NEO. I don't like the name, but, on your recommendo, I will try it.
    Prost!

-F
    Hope you like it! Groove Tube is better if you happen upon it

Professional Crastinator
    Hope you like it! Groove Tube is better if you happen upon it
    Imperial &amp; Double IPAs-20181107_202249.jpg

OK, I might have to seek out Groove Tube.... See Foam was OK, but I wasn't 100%. I can't really criticize it. Just not my exact thing. Maybe 1 of the next 5 will grow on me.

-F

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Adding Flying Dog The Truth (not to be confused with Rhinegeist Truth)

I tried Renegade Summer Tan on draught - not surmising that "Tan" was short for tangerine.
    It was light and fruity - just like DIPAs aren't supposed to be.

-F
    FD the Truth is good, granted their brewery is in my town so most the beers are really fresh.

mtbr member
    I didn't know IPAs were for hipster. I thought they drank PBR for irony. I do think that IPAs are still the trendy beer, if only for the title - people can order or ask for an IPA and think they sound like they know what they are talking about. Not that I care. If it means more beer for me to try, I'm happy. Double IPA and Imperial IPAs are the same style. The "double" is referring to the 2 I 's in "Imperial India Pale Ale." Generally, the "Imperial" in the title means it's a higher ABV beer. Most brewers then need to increase the hoppyness to balance the higher alchohol (as well as the grainprofile). You are right that the amount of hop flavoring in them might turn off the trendy/hipster beer drinkers. Personally I love them. But I also love most regular IPAs.

A couple I enjoy:
    Surly - Abrasive (IIPA) and Todd the Axe Man (hoppy IPA)
    Bells Hopslam (seasonal - Jan-Feb) and Oracle (seasonal - July)
    Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet (seasonal - Jan) and Hoptimum (Triple IPA, seasonal - should be available now -May-June)

CHEERS!!!
    I was going to chime in exuberantly for Surly Abrasive and Todd the Axe Man; but seeing your list, I'll just second all of your picks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181107_202249.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	1223991

OK, I might have to seek out Groove Tube.... See Foam was OK, but I wasn't 100%. I can't really criticize it. Just not my exact thing. Maybe 1 of the next 5 will grow on me.

-F
    Nice find! Maybe when phase 1 of Bailey Mtn opens you'll find yourself in Athens. Following a ride hit their pub on west union st. Maybe you can nab some groove tube that's FAF!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Professional Crastinator
    OK, I found one I did NOT like. Supposedly an award-winning DIPA. In its defense, when I ordered "the Melvin" (on draught), the bartender didn't even know what I was talking about, so I'm guessing it may have been sitting around for a good long time.
    No accounting for taste, right?

Imperial &amp; Double IPAs-2x4_single_wet_flat-web-new-519x786.jpg

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

On the other hand, this one I liked just fine (from a can):

Name:  42132180_680578122316723_4496249724153117243_n.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  68.8 KB

-F

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I can play this game.
    A few from Michigan.

Imperial &amp; Double IPAs-img_7101a.jpg

Imperial &amp; Double IPAs-img_6912a.jpg