how much do you spend on booze?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

how much do you spend on booze?

how much do you spend on booze? I noticed that a lot of people buy at least $100/week on beer/wine.

this adds up to 400 /month. I can get high end crankset

are many alcoholics out there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    $0. Mtb fanatic with two young kids, no time or money for stuff Iím just going to piss out later.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Anymore I spend maybe 5 bucks a week.... thats on average. A 12 pack will last me quite a while. 10 years ago was a WAY different stiry

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Probably average $30 per month...

NZD not USD, probably equates to half of your American currency.

I tend to go in fits and starts.

I can go four weeks w/o touching a beer.

Then I may have 3-4 days where I'll have 3-4 beers per day.

No rhyme or reason.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    not that bars are open right now (or if they are it's still incredibly stupid to go to one), but I've never understood people that drink at a bar almost every night. It's much cheaper to drink at home. A six pack of good beer might cost $10 usd at the grocery store. Drink 6 of those at a bar will likely cost you at least $30 plus tips. The markup on liquor is often even higher.
    -Flat Bars, Flat Pedals, Flat Saddle, and frequently Flat Tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

My wife and I do not drink daily. We buy a six pack and it usually will sit for two weeks. When we go on a trip w friends we may party some each day then not touch it when we get home for weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trmn8er; 08-29-2020 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Not much. Maybe $25/month average.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I drink mostly wine, red. Prefer bordeaux, amarone, Barolo ans Pinot noirs, either burgundy or Oregon, so about $80 a week, plus after dinner, and sometimes pre.

So it adds up, plus once a week, pre covid, Sunday night dinner at my house with 10 some people, so more wine.

But I'm not counting, so i don't really know.

I have a wine cellar, so i tend to drink 15 +years old wine.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Buy in bulk. Much cheaper for liquor

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    ... this adds up to 400 /month. I can get high ...
    Now thereís an idea.

As for me, I buy my beer in the big can ó 15.5 gallons. I pay $150 for a keg of local craft IPA that typically lasts me 10-11 months. My GF doesnít like IPA so thatís all mine. (She drinks lager.)

But beer isnít the only alcoholic beverage we enjoy. We also consume margaritas (100% agave only, thank you), gin & tonics, a bit of red wine. Maybe $60/month more for the tequila, gin & fermented grape juice.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post

As for me, I buy my beer in the big can ó 15.5 gallons. I pay $150 for a keg of local craft IPA that typically lasts me 10-11 months.

=sParty
    Interesting strategy for cost savings. That half barrel keg is 124 pints, or at 165 12 oz pours, that's less than a dollar a beer. Even cheaper then the super market. Of course there is the initial investment of a kegerator and a tap.

My questions would be, does beer really stay fresh in a keg for 10-11 months? And don't you get tired of the same beer all the time? Variety is the spice of life!

Out spokin'
    Believe it or not the beer does stay fresh that long on a CO2 system. And no, I donít get tired of Oakshire Brewingís Watershed IPA ó I affectionately refer to it as motherís milk.

I donít buy it by the keg to save money, although doing so is indeed the least expensive way (after kegerator expense) to buy good beer. I do it because I really do love that beer.

Another benefit of dispensing beer from the keg is no bottles or cans to return. Considering Oregonís bottle bill, deposits add up, not to mention the inconvenience of returning the empties. And I always drink cold beer because I never draw more than Iíll drink before it warms up. Why pull 16 oz? 8-10 oz at a time keeps things nice.

But in the name of full disclosure, I have to admit that I do buy smaller cans (ďnormalĒ sized ones) of other craft beers occasionally just because there are so many great beers out there.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I did some quick searching and discovered triple tap kegerators that could hold 3 sixtels. That seems like a good compromise on the variety vs economy of scale. One more thing to add to the list of "if I won the lottery".

I'll have to try the Watershed next time I'm in Oregon. There are indeed so many good beers out there. Between Eugene and Bend you are spoiled with micro-breweries.

That's one time I do actually like going to drink in bars, when I travel. I like to find bars that have local brews on tap. There are so many now that some don't even distribute outside of the state they are brewed in. They don't have to with the great market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    On average 1 x $15 CAD craft beer 6-pack per week.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Professional Crastinator
    Evidently, a LOT.

We stock our beer fridge and drink beer when we go out like we live in Czech Republic. If I had to put a number on it, it's probably a couple few grand a year (but restaurant bills include food - which necessarily goes with beer in my book). The activity schedule at our house results in quite a few restaurant visits.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Professional Crastinator
    ...a keg of local craft IPA that typically lasts me 10-11 months....
    I would think it would go bad/stale after about a month? Some of our local restaurants are required by the brewer to dispose of beer that has been on tap for too long.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    [QUOTE=Picard;14959207]how much do you spend on booze? Me, personally not much
    I noticed that a lot of people buy at least $100/week on beer/wine. Do you work at a liquor store or something?

this adds up to 400 /month. I can get high end crankset
    Budgeting? Let me help you out-
    You stop drinking for one month = You get high end crankset
    Me stop drinking for one month = Unfortunately my alcohol savings does not benefit you

Yes many alcoholics out there.

mtbr member
    I spend a lot on craft beer over summer wknd camp/bike trips. Some guys that brew will occasionally bring a keg but If I owned one, well, that'd be dangerous. The after biking swimming, cooking, camping, hanging in the big trees is just more enjoyable to me with some delicious beer at this juncture in my life.

Most all my friends including my recent girlfriend work in high end wine so I never buy wine. Nor could I remotely afford to buy what they make and drink.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    There is an interesting theory that craft beer is a recession proof industry. The reason is people like to treat themselves with nice things. When money is tight, that treat probably won't be a new car, 4k TV, Carbon bike, etc. But spending an extra $4 on the 'fancy' beer or a nicer bottle of wine is manageable, and you can still feel like you treated yourself.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwalker View Post
    There is an interesting theory that craft beer is a recession proof industry. The reason is people like to treat themselves with nice things. When money is tight, that treat probably won't be a new car, 4k TV, Carbon bike, etc. But spending an extra $4 on the 'fancy' beer or a nicer bottle of wine is manageable, and you can still feel like you treated yourself.
    Perhaps to summarize/paraphrase your comment, I once heard this about the alcohol industryís stability regardless of financial conditions, be they good or bad.

ĒWhen time are good, people drink.
    When times are bad, people drink.Ē

=sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    "how much do you spend on booze?"

Not enough

Not nearly enough

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwalker View Post
    I think most craft brewers, be it wine or beer, are hurting from non-existent restaurant and bar sales.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    True. Recession is different than recession + every bar and restaurant being closed for health reasons. However, there has also been an increase in beer, wine, and liquor sales at grocery stores and the like. Probably not enough to balance out tho.

mtbr member
    $100 a month plus 1 high end crankset.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Cycologist
    I think this is a ploy for Picard to figure out how many kegs to purchase for the COVID IS OVER/RIDE WITH PICARD blow out part-tť he is planning for us!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I think most craft brewers, be it wine or beer, are hurting from non-existent restaurant and bar sales.

As far as I've heard, it's not all bad news for everyone. Some of the breweries that I've been following are doing quite well, actually. The keg sales are down due to restaurants/bars being closed, but that beer is being sold in the form of to-go orders at the brewery. And the direct-to-customer sales are more profitable for the breweries, too, so they may be coming out slightly ahead.

mtbr member
    That's easy. Zero, Zip, nada.

Any spare cash goes to feeding my biking addiction.

slow
    We'll pick up a 6-pack of cider maybe once every other month, so our annual spending on booze is about $40-50.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You people are amateurs.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You people are amateurs.
    Spshhh, right?

I'm thinking maybe 150-200 bucks a month. If I didn't drink beer, I'd have enough $$ saved up to pay for my forthcoming liver replacement operation.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I guess no one here drinks wine...

Ouch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    $100 a month plus 1 high end crankset.
    Lol, yep.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I make and love beer, have a kegerator, and enjoy craft beer from just about any style. I doubt I spend more than $100 a month on beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I seen people who spent over 100 per purchase

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I belong to seven wine clubs, each with 12-bottle annual allocations. That amounts to about $6,000 per year on average. I have a sizable wine cellar, and host annual family holiday gatherings, which is when the collection takes big hits. My personal consumption of wine has dropped significantly over the years.

I'm a big whiskey enthusiast, and am always on the lookout for the good stuff that still hasn't been appreciated and overpriced, or even thrown into the secondary market. That said, I do search out those unicorns that are starting to creep up in standard retail price when I can find them. I won't pay ridiculous secondary market prices for whiskey. These bottles last a long time, as you can spend an hour sipping on less than an ounce. Guessing this amounts to about $2,400 per year on average.

I'm a big fan of beer, and appreciate many different styles. Those premium four-packs of limited releases have gotten awfully spendy. Some weeks I'll stock up on moderately decent stuff. Some weeks I'll do a splurge run. Guessing this amounts to about $4,200 per year on average.

Clarification: When I refer to I, I really mean my wife and I. And, plenty of the goods are shared among friends and family.

If my math is correct, that boils down to $242 per week. Some of that going into building collections, and some if it being consumed in spikes during family gatherings over the holidays, so it's not like we're consuming that dollar amount of booze every week.

Moderator Moderator
    Aug 2005
    Beer here in Vermont is too good so I never buy cheap stuff. I end up buying 2-3 4 packs a week which comes to about $30-45/week. Iíd say I average a $150/month on beer. Itís pricey but I drink less beer when I drink ďhigh endĒ beers. Drinking more than 2, 6-8% 16oz IPAs a night is too much and a waste.

I havenít been going to bars since March due to COVID so that has saved me some dough. A couple beers along with my wifeís glasses of wine can add up to a quick $50. Bars just opened up here but I donít see myself bellying up for beverages anytime soon.

Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Believe it or not the beer does stay fresh that long on a CO2 system. And no, I donít get tired of Oakshire Brewingís Watershed IPA ó I affectionately refer to it as motherís milk.

I donít buy it by the keg to save money, although doing so is indeed the least expensive way (after kegerator expense) to buy good beer. I do it because I really do love that beer.

Another benefit of dispensing beer from the keg is no bottles or cans to return. Considering Oregonís bottle bill, deposits add up, not to mention the inconvenience of returning the empties. And I always drink cold beer because I never draw more than Iíll drink before it warms up. Why pull 16 oz? 8-10 oz at a time keeps things nice.

But in the name of full disclosure, I have to admit that I do buy smaller cans (ďnormalĒ sized ones) of other craft beers occasionally just because there are so many great beers out there.
    =sParty
    I'm with you - it's why I always order half-pints when I am out. I tend to get weird looks from folks, "cmon dude, only HALF a beer"....but it stays cold (not that all beers are good cold) and I can try (6) different 8-10 oz beers vs (3) 16 oz ones and still be ok to drive after a couple hours.

mtbr member
    Having a few mates (riding buds) over this weekend, so I dropped a bit of coin... on some brewski's.

Meatbomb
    I drink Scotch and spend about $160.00 a month on a couple bottles. I can't drink beer anymore other than a couple at lunch on the weekend. It bloats me after 2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I drink cheap beer or whatever is on sale to save money for bike parts Kind of have moved on from my liquor days, though I drank cheap stuff as well since I'm fine with mixed drinks.

Cycling (in many forms) is my main hobby. I don't spend money on too much else, so I like nice bike stuff.

Biggest beer problem I have is that the only local beer store, which had a great selection and was about 1.5 miles from my house (I could bike, walk, jog there)...got an offer it couldn't refuse and sold out. There is now a disgusting high rise condo there for $$$ kids who attend the local elite $$$ university.

Yep, a great local indepedent beer store that had been there since the 1940s is now a snobby condo. I honestly never thought gentrification would hit me this hard or this personally. I can't think about it or I get pissed off. We've had about 15 high rise condos thrown up in my once sleepy city in the past few years, so not like we needed this one.

I need to write an op-ed to the local independent newspaper about how I drink less not for health reasons, money, etc...but because they put a condo where my beer store was!

Add to it that I live in a stupid state-controlled liquor store state...and drinking here is a major PITA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I drink Scotch and spend about $160.00 a month on a couple bottles. I can't drink beer anymore other than a couple at lunch on the weekend. It bloats me after 2.
    Yes!! I too have suddenly been hit pretty hard by the beer bloat issue. It's no fun and seriously sucks. I definitely enjoy a few drinks and a mild buzz, but the fat belly feeling just isn't worth it.

Even if I'm eating right, too much beer and I feel like I had a beach ball in my shirt when I jump on a bike. Cycling will let you know real fast if you're overweight, yet another upside!

Unstoppable
    Yep, $100.00 a week sounds about right. This was my weekly purchases:
    A 4 pack or two of craft beer and or maybe a couple of 20 ounce bottles of craft beer, couple of glasses of wine at a restaurant, couple of bottles of wine, and a couple of pints at the brewery. And then add the occasional special event such as dinner, party, celebration, concert, etc. So yes, I drank a lot and I believe I averaged $100.00 a week easy each year. It got to the point that I would cut short my ride just so I could get to food and beer sooner, but now I am a little over 8 months sober. And there is life without alcohol even though I could never imagine it when I was considering quitting.
    "The most important thing about this instrument is the way the air smells when it comes out of these holes" ~Frank Zappa

mtbr member
    I spend about $25-$40 per week on beer. I usually buy a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo or whatever their seasonal offering is, and a four-pack of something crafty. If I see something that tickles me right, I may buy a couple of four-packs. I also spend about $30-$50 every month or two for Bourbon/Scotch. My wife helps me with the Bourbon.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Nothing. Rather spend it on gear!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesr83 View Post
    Nothing. Rather spend it on gear!
    So...

...post ride...

...you go to your lbs and buy some kit...!?

If it's a hot day out and I've had a good ride and have the time, I'll have a Cider w/ ice

Very refreshing and tasty.

I don't buy Cider to drink at home though

mtbr member
    Wondering why non-drinkers follow the Beer forum. Kind of like me being from Connecticut and following the Utah forum.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^^Pretty valid point!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The solution I came up with for when the booze budget starts to get out of hand is this, cheapest bottle of vodka I can find and Mio drink flavoring. Ice, vodka, water and a squirt of Mio. Bonus is itís low calories, you can get good and blasted on like 3 bucks and 400 calories!

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    I try and spend as little as possible on beer. Grains, hops, and yeast are a completely different story through...

Going to make a Citra Mosaic pale ale tomorrow.