The high cost of brewing business- Mtbr.com
    Caca pasa

The high cost of brewing business

Quality doesn't come cheap, I 'spose.

Today I hit Altamont Beer Works in Livermore, CA. I haven't been before, but I've tried, and turned around because there were too many events going on and no parking.

But today I succeeded. My first beef is that it's over 2 miles from the freeway going home. Kind of a trudge. It's in an industrial complex, like so many other breweries nowadays. The outside is deceptively small, with a taco tent set up today (ABW doesn't have their own food). The food was ok, and the guys obviously didn't want to be working, based on their attitudes. The food was mediocre. Packaged shredded cheese.

The high cost of brewing business-abc-3.jpg

After I got my food, I went in, and gawked at the large, beautifully done interior. Once you get inside, you'd never know you're in an industrial space. I mean, look at the setup! Kegs made into lighting. A clean layout, with a nice rail away from the bar wide enough you can set your stuff on while you ogle the beautiful people at the bar and the womenz parading in front of you, dazzling you with their thin, expensive bodies and boyfriends ready to shut you down with a glare.

The high cost of brewing business-abc-1.jpg

I picked up some swag- they had many stickers to buy, all on mega-rolls, set far enough away from the bar so you didn't have a clue as to what you were buying (I'm old and have bad eyes. I guess). $1 per cheesy roll sticker, so I 'only' bought 4, plus a $5 pint glass. Usually I get scads of stickers and pass them out amongst my friends. Not this time. No free advertising! Your loss, ABW. The pint glass is the real score- they had several styles for sale, again, too far away to see what they looked like, so I took a chance. When he brought it back (after walking to the back), I liked it enough to want to buy another for a friend, but I didn't want to send him to the back again. Seriously, ABW, you can't have them under the bar for instant availability? Again, your loss. By the way, Trail House in Santa Rosa has their stickers available in baskets away from the bar. Free. Great advertising. I've grabbed a handful and passed them out several times. $1 cheap stickers advertising your brewery are stupid.

The A/C was on high. I was almost freezing in there, but I looked around and it didn't seem to be bothering anyone. Only 2 toilets, and they were being used a lot (I know, I sat across from them. They must have other toilets available for busy times, hopefully). The food I picked up outside got cold. Fast.

3 Bartenders. One visibly pregnant, and it showed in her attitude. She was a little cranky. I got a guy a little later, and he was a little more pleasant, willing to converse a little. I like when bartenders talk to you, instead of getting your order and moving on. *shrug*

Beer? I got a couple. My reviews suck, so I'm not even posting them. I know, useless. But they were wet and pretty good (the beers, not my "reviews").

I talked with a guy who was leaving with a 4-pack of Juice Above The Clouds, which I hadn't had. He said he came especially for the JATC, but they didn't have it on tap, so he got a 4-pack. $18. It's a juicy, and he recommended it, so I got a 4-pack to go. I'm drunk on it right now. It's pretty damn good, I must say. *belllllllch*

Check out the names of some of these beers. Lots of imagination going on, here: https://altamontbeerworks.com/1/beers/

The high cost of brewing business-abc-2.jpg

Up next Oakland visit? Morgan Territory, in Tracy. One of my favorites.

Love,

F (always bitchin' about somethin') P
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:22 AM. Reason: dUmp tRump!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Caca pasa
    Fixing the pic. I hope. Hey mtbr, it's almost 2020! Fix yer shit! It's really stupid I have to click on the pic 4 times to see it up close.

Git wid da program. Any program. Something besides what you already use, maybe?

The high cost of brewing business-20191005_125348_resized-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Beer review? Not stickers, outside food or other whining.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Beer review? Not stickers, outside food or other whining.
    I don't go just for the beer. I like to whine about the whole setup.