Federal Law About Dating Beer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Federal Law About Dating Beer

Ever had old beer? Some of it is AWFUL! Any chance of passing a federal law that requires beer manufacturers to put a date on beer? Ok, I'm sure it will never happen. Some manufaturers are really good at this, like Samual Adams - others not so much.

tl1
    Bicyclist

I try to put all my dates...

...on beer. The more the better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes, had some fairly old beer. If it's strong and unfiltered, age is good. My Russian Stout is best at 12 mos. plus, but rarely lasts that long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Some English beer is ok when aged. However, most of the American micro brews when aged are putrid...

mtbr member
    Almost all beer has some type of code date on it. Some are julian dates, expiration dates, or born on dates. Julian dates usually require a code book to understand. A julian date is the day a beer is bottled for example a beer bottled on jan 31 2011 will typically have a code like 11031. Year, day, bottling plant code ect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip
    Ever had old beer? Some of it is AWFUL! Any chance of passing a federal law that requires beer manufacturers to put a date on beer? Ok, I'm sure it will never happen. Some manufaturers are really good at this, like Samual Adams - others not so much.
    Sam Adams is all our beer tastes like swill anyway. Let's put a date on it. Problem solved.

I'm a unitard!
    Probably won't happen because beer won't go bad in the sense that it would become harmful to the drinker.

I'm a unitard!
    Some English beer is ok when aged. However, most of the American micro brews when aged are putrid...
    Location of the brewery has little to do with it. There are many, many American beers that age beautifully.

mtbr member
    Seriously??
    You think we need a Federal Law requiring brewers to put some sort of date on their beer?
    We need fewer laws from the federal government, not more. Why is it the business of the federal government at all? Where is the power to regulate the brewing industry granted to the federal government in the US Constitution? Maybe I missed that part
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What he said!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It was really a joke - the point is that I wish more brewers out there put dates on beer...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality
    Seriously??
    You think we need a Federal Law requiring brewers to put some sort of date on their beer?
    We need fewer laws from the federal government, not more. Why is it the business of the federal government at all? Where is the power to regulate the brewing industry granted to the federal government in the US Constitution? Maybe I missed that part:confused:
    Alcohol is one of the most highly regulated products you can buy. You think this has not been tested in the courts? You didn't look very hard if you can't find how this is ruled constitutional.

I think all beer labels should list alcohol content. They might as well add a date while they are at it.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

tl1
    Bicyclist

Date on beer

This wouldn't happen had she been drinking good beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    Location of the brewery has little to do with it. There are many, many American beers that age beautifully.
    Can you name a few?

The ones I have had tasted horrible...

I'm a unitard!
    Can you name a few?

The ones I have had tasted horrible...
    You bet.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    Deschutes Abyss
    Avery Czar and Reverend
    Stone Old Guardian and Imperial Russian Stout
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
    Great Divide Yeti
    North Coast Old Stock
    Allagash Curieux and Four

And many more from small, local breweries that I may never have the chance to taste.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks. I'll try a few of those out if I can find them locally. I've had Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, but I don't think it lasts long enough for it to age on the shelf.

I'm a unitard!
    Thanks. I'll try a few of those out if I can find them locally. I've had Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, but I don't think it lasts long enough for it to age on the shelf.
    If you can't find those specifically, a good bet is on just about any barley wine, imperial stout, or stronger beer that isn't too light in color.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlelogan
    It is a must infact if you drink outdated beers it is a poison so there should be a law passed and i think they have already passed a law it is liked expired beers .
    ???WTH
    This is what happens when you drink expired beer.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've never keeled over after drinking bad beer. But I did recently pour some down the sink - it wasn't worth it.

mtbr member
    I recently bought a batch of Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter from 2007. Best commercial beer I've ever had, and it had just sat on a shelf for 4 years.
    Former bike mechanic; current idiot.

endorphin junkie
    I've got a buddy who buys and stores Bigfoot every year to serve at annual tastings. Last winter we cracked open bottles from 2006, 2008 and 2009 (not sure what happened to 2007). They store excellently and mellow over time. Only problem for me is I'm not that big a fan of barleywine.

A local one that I store for at least a year is Highland Brewing's Cold Mountain Winter Ale. They vary the recipe slightly each winter and it's fun to crack open one from the prior year to compare side by side. They don't last much longer than a year though. I also have a bottle of their 15th anniversary batch of Auld Asheville that's about 15 months old and should be pretty tasty sometime in the near future.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    In general, the dark heavy beers are going to age well. Lighter beers and wheats tend to be just as good young, and some lose flavor with age.

Bud, Miller, Coors, etc get skunkier as they get older. Really though, the whole "Born On Date" thing is just a marketing ploy.

A lot of beer off flavors that occur post bottling are the result of temperature extremes or exposure to light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think that the law is that you can date it, you just can't marry it.

Afric Pepperbird
    What's wrong with old beer??

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bpSb2y0Ygac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Members who have read this thread: 0