Cat poop beer...- Mtbr.com
    Paper Mill Aleworks

Cat poop beer...

So, my loving brother and I have gotten into the habit of seeking out interesting beers for each other. Being in Florida, he has access to some things I always don't.
    Yesterday, I got a package, containing two bottles of Mikkeller "Beer Geek Brunch".
    An 11% imperial oatmael stout, made with Kopi Luwak, aged in cognac barrels!

From Mikkeller:
    This imperial Oatmeal stout is brewed with one of the world’s most expensive coffees, made from droppings of weasel-like civet cats. The fussy Southeast Asian animals only eat the best and ripest coffee berries. Enzymes in their digestive system help to break down the bean. Workers collect the bean-containing droppings for Civet or Weasel Coffee. The exceedingly rare Civet Coffee has a strong taste and an even stronger aroma.
    I've had Kopi Luwak one time, whilst on a buisness trip to Thailand, but never in my beer

Anyone ever had this particular brew? I have only read about it here and there.
    I am looking forward to it, but plan on cellaring these bottles for a little bit first.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    So, my loving brother and I have gotten into the habit of seeking out interesting beers for each other. Being in Florida, he has access to some things I always don't.
    Yesterday, I got a package, containing two bottles of Mikkeller "Beer Geek Brunch".

From Mikkeller:

I've had Kopi Luwak one time, whilst on a buisness trip to Thailand, but never in my beer

I am looking forward to it, but plan on cellaring these bottles for a little bit first.
    I've seen this in the store. Mikkeller is pretty amazing and they have what seems like an endless array of beers. Let us know how it um....tastes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Never had this beer, but sounds interesting. I would try it for sure.

Beer Me!
    Funny you pasted this, as my wife an I were just talking about this beer last weekend.

We have been cellaring one for about a year and a half, and think its about time to crack that baby open and we plan on doing so tomorrow night. Not just saying that because of this post, it was decided last weekend. I am a little nervous that it will be oxidized as its seen some temp fluctuations and shaking with our recent move. Probably one of the weirder beers we have purchased.

Our friends brought us back some civit coffie from Vietnam, it tasted the same as regular old coffie IMO. They said that the locals don't even drink it, the just sell it to tourists, haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Our friends brought us back some civit coffie from Vietnam, it tasted the same as regular old coffie IMO. They said that the locals don't even drink it, the just sell it to tourists, haha.
    A lot of "civet" coffee isn't legit.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    A lot of "civet" coffee isn't legit.
    I can see why. It is Cat / weasel poop. Whenever stuff like that becomes a "delicacy" i always wonder who tried it first, and what the story was behind the first sucker who decided to pay a lot of money for it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post

From Mikkeller:

Yes I have, while in Thailand, I had a house brewed beer flavored with the coffee bean that took a ride through the civet cat's digestive system at a restaurant I frequented. Neither the coffee nor this home brew was anything to brag about.

mtbr member
    Yep. had it.

Kopi Luwak is considered a fad in the coffee geek world. Its more of an oddity then anything else, and is only fueled by hype.

You DON'T want to age any coffee beer, as the coffee flavors will fade out much like hop additions will, and then you will be drinking a much more expensive version of Beer Geek, and not Beer Geek Brunch Weasel. Same goes for any coffee beer. Honestly, after cellering a few hundred bottles of various beers for years, i think maybe only about 10% of beers actually improve with some time, most beers are much better fresh. It cost me alot of money to learn this.

Anyway, here is my review.
    Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller - København, Denmark - BeerAdvocate

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So is this beer any good?

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDmtnbkr View Post
    So is this beer any good?
    Hand-o-midas has a review right above your post. I plan on cracking mine this weekend, but its aged, and could have gone bad (as Hand-o-Midas also pointed out).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Hand-o-midas has a review right above your post. I plan on cracking mine this weekend, but its aged, and could have gone bad (as Hand-o-Midas also pointed out).
    I would not say it has gone bad, in the rotten sense, but it may have lost all or most of the coffee notes, which is what you pay for with this beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    I would not say it has gone bad, in the rotten sense, but it may have lost all or most of the coffee notes, which is what you pay for with this beer.
    What beers do you think do age well?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    What beers do you think do age well?
    In my opinion beers that do age well include:

-Non-Barrel Aged Barleywines aged to 1 year are ideal.(ones that are barrel aged should be drank fresh imo.) I age them for aprox a year to let the rough edge of the hops settle down, but retain most of the other notes closer to how they are fresh.
    -Any beer with brettanomyces
    -Most Lambics, Wilds, & Sours that are not reliant on fruit(since the fruit fades)
    -Stouts that have a strong coarse ethenol character, not exactly alcohol heat, but that rough grating quality could use a bit of age, in hopes of improving, it might not.

Most every other example of beer i really feel fresh is best.

Some of it is just risking some bottles and hoping, like 09 darklord was not very good fresh, but right now it is excellent, however i think most of the other vintages were better or best fresh, we just opened 06-11 darklord and it was interesting. So if i happen to have bottles i dont like anyway, THEN i will age them to see how they do, and hope for the best. It is unwise to purposely age a bottle when you really like it anyway, unless you are ok with the strong chance it wont hold up.

mtbr member
    In my opinion beers that do age well include:

-Non-Barrel Aged Barleywines aged to 1 year are ideal.(ones that are barrel aged should be drank fresh imo.) I age them for aprox a year to let the rough edge of the hops settle down, but retain most of the other notes closer to how they are fresh.
    -Any beer with brettanomyces
    -Most Lambics, Wilds, & Sours that are not reliant on fruit(since the fruit fades)
    -Stouts that have a strong coarse ethenol character, not exactly alcohol heat, but that rough grating quality could use a bit of age, in hopes of improving, it might not.

Most every other example of beer i really feel fresh is best.

Some of it is just risking some bottles and hoping, like 09 darklord was not very good fresh, but right now it is excellent, however i think most of the other vintages were better or best fresh, we just opened 06-11 darklord and it was interesting. So if i happen to have bottles i dont like anyway, THEN i will age them to see how they do, and hope for the best. It is unwise to purposely age a bottle when you really like it anyway, unless you are ok with the strong chance it wont hold up.
    Interesting. Thanks for the response.

Yes, that's fonetic
    A lot of great beer info
    HoM, thanks for imparting a little of your obvious wealth of knowledge about one of my favorite subjects.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I have had that beer, twice. I love most things Mikkeller has to offer, and this was no exception. Like Midas said, drink it now, enjoy it while the coffee is fresh!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Beer Me!
    Well it took me a while, but i finally opened that bad boy on saterday. Mine has been aged for about a year and a half, and aged well. No oxidization, no gushing

This beer was very good. It was a solid stout, with a strong coffee flavor. I can see how this could be had for brunch, though i did not taste a substantial "pop" or "wow" of the cat poop coffee vs. regular coffee. Maybe a little more tangy, but this could have been due more to hops, or the beer makeup than the coffee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cat poop beer...-0930111757.jpg