Breweries Near Madison WI- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Idea! Breweries Near Madison WI

I am heading out to Madison WI this weekend for a 2 week trip. Going for classes for most of the time but also looking for some good breweries to stop by. And places to eat.
    I have a contact at New Glarus so i am definitely getting a private tour there, but what else is out there within a 45min drive?
    Also any good biking trails, if so, any bike rental places?

thanks guys!!

Afric Pepperbird
    Ale Asylum will be the best. Their Velveteen Habit IPA (Citra & Mosaic hops) is pretty damned good.

Karben4 is just okay. Parched Eagle is okay.

Other than that, Madison is kind of a wasteland compared to the west coast.

mtbr member
    Capital brewing is there.

A lot of good places to eat. One of my favorite for an old school burger and fries is the village green in middleton wi.
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Spotted cow!

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Years ago I visited Grumpy Troll in Mt. Horeb on my way from Madison to New Glarus. Dunno if it's still around/any good; but back then they had a great beer selection and food. And it's right up the street from the Mustard Museum!

I also hit Ale Asylum and New Glarus on that trip. Both were fantastic...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Years ago I visited Grumpy Troll in Mt. Horeb on my way from Madison to New Glarus. Dunno if it's still around/any good; but back then they had a great beer selection and food. And it's right up the street from the Mustard Museum!

I also hit Ale Asylum and New Glarus on that trip. Both were fantastic...
    Troll is still there, but the Mustard Museum has moved to Middleton (kiddy corner from the restaurant I mentioned above).
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm afraid you aren't getting the best advice here. While New Glarus and Ale Asylum are the bigger breweries around and both worth a visit, be sure to hit Madison't East side. You can go to Karben4 (which is actually very good), Next Door Brewing, One Barrel Brewing, and House of Brews all within a few miles of each other. This weekend is also the start of Madison Craft Beer Week. Many of the better places in town will have events. Look also for beer from other parts of Wisconsin like Central Waters, Os'O, Funk Factory, Mob Craft. While we are not exactly San Diego, and don't have a brewery tap room on every corner like Minneapolis these days, we have a lot of very great beer to choose from that is highly underrated (especially New Glarus that isn't Spotted Cow).

sluice box
    Huber
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I realize nobody answered about the trails. Most everything is closed due to the recent rain, but some of the trails will dry quickly. The best trail with nearby rentals is at CamRock and rental at CamRock Sport in Cambridge, about 20 minutes east of Madison. In town you can ride at Quarry Ridge. I believe Machinery Row may rent bikes. I think Trail This may also offer some rentals. The best source of information on trails and conditions is at Home Page - madcitydirt.com.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    You asked about places to eat.

The Old Fashioned in Madison is about as "Wisconsin" as you can get. Right across from the state capitol. The beer menu goes on and on. Try the cheese curds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    thanks all, i just got back from my 2 week trip in Madison.
    Karben 4 - awesome beer!
    New Glarus - Immaculate
    Miller Coors - dirty and dark!
    Ale Asylum - private tour - thanks JON the warehouse guy - awesome beer as well

for food-
    Paul's Bar - awesome place - thanks to locals who bought us beer
    Ians Pizza - junk food pizza to the max, delicious
    Stateside Brats - awesome brats and burgers - das boot!
    Pho lan bey -(spelling is wrong) amazing asian food
    corner bar - (drank a beer while waiting for Pho lan bey) dirty local bar - drink bottles only!
    Old fashioned - wasn't able to eat there - wait time too long
    Hop Cat - Overall good! Barzee burger was great

sadly i was too busy to rent a bike to ride. I was here for a beer course. Our beer lounge we created was insane! Just think the best from founders, bells, deschutes, stone, avery, garage project, odd side ales, karbach, etc.

i drank way too much, but was worth it. We easily had 200 worth of cases there, but thats what happens when you get a beer industry class together. great times!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Which new glarus did you try/like?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    since they are all new to me, got a private tour and a special tasting room upstairs i tried these beers: they gave me 16oz tasters (free beers)
    moon man - awesome pale ale
    some belgian cherry (not sure the name)- Amazing beer - really sweet and delicious, however in a 16oz pour i was struggling to finish it as it was a lot of flavors going on. This would have been perfect around 4-6oz pour. Really liked it though.
    2 woman - crisp and delicious

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    i also drank some dark lord that one of the guys brought. Over the last couple of days we had 2 bombers of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    also at Ale Asylum i was able to meet one of the owners, super cool lady. Very inviting and pretty much let me roam wherever i wanted to. It was a perfect stop on my way to the airport before heading home.