American Strong Ale Suggestions!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

American Strong Ale Suggestions!

Stone's American strong ale selection has to be my favorite beers I've had yet. I'm new to the beer scene but I love real strong high percentage beers. I'm looking for similar tasting beers to the stone arrogant bastard line with my favorite being Oaked arrogant bastard ale. I'm looking for some similar tastes to these brews that would be available in the Southern California area. There's a liquor store down the street from me that carries a lot of specialty beers and I'd like to try some more of them out based on fellow mtbr members recommendations. Right now I'm enjoying a Stone Lucky Bastard which is delicious! I love all stone beers, there's like a kick to your tongue that most brewers don't give you. I really love the pine, citrus, sweet after taste, its the best.

mtbr member
    There are few beers that closely match what Stone has put together with the ABA beers. The craft brewing industry is so wrapped up in IPAs, DIPAs, Belgians, Belgian-IPAs and everything barrel aged, that simple strong ales are getting harder to find.
    Some similar beers -

Grand Teton Brewing Pursuit of Hoppiness - Lighter in color, a more clear red, lighter in flavor as well. It hits with a high alcohol kick.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale (and Double Dead Guy Ale) - Dead Guy Ale seems to be a love it or hate it beer. I love it. It is to me a slightly higher priced second option when ABA is not available.

There used to be a couple of local micro-brews in the Sacramento area that were real close. Both breweries have closed down now, but just for reference they were:
    Sacramento Brewing Co. Red Horse Ale;
    Hangtown Brewing Strong Blond (I think that was the name of it).

If you are in southern California, make sure you stop in at the Stone brewery for a tour. They have beers on tap that are not available in bottles. I hgihly recommend the dry hopped ABA. My new favorite beer and a new personal mission to clone it for homebrewing.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lagunitas Brewing Little Sumpin Sumpin sounds right up your alley they make some hop wallopers but generally are on the more balanced side of brewing more of there beer has a residually sweeter finish like Stone and are availible just about everywhere.

mtbr member
    Sierra Nevada Big Foot Ale

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Try some Founders beers:
    Dirty Bastard 8.5%
    Backwoods Bastard 10.2%
    Old Curmudgeon Ale (Barleywine) 9.3%

tl1
    Bicyclist

ABA is?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality
    There are few beers that closely match what Stone has put together with the ABA beers. The craft brewing industry is so wrapped up in IPAs, DIPAs, Belgians, Belgian-IPAs and everything barrel aged, that simple strong ales are getting harder to find.
    Some similar beers -

Grand Teton Brewing Pursuit of Hoppiness - Lighter in color, a more clear red, lighter in flavor as well. It hits with a high alcohol kick.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale (and Double Dead Guy Ale) - Dead Guy Ale seems to be a love it or hate it beer. I love it. It is to me a slightly higher priced second option when ABA is not available.

There used to be a couple of local micro-brews in the Sacramento area that were real close. Both breweries have closed down now, but just for reference they were:
    Sacramento Brewing Co. Red Horse Ale;
    Hangtown Brewing Strong Blond (I think that was the name of it).

If you are in southern California, make sure you stop in at the Stone brewery for a tour. They have beers on tap that are not available in bottles. I hgihly recommend the dry hopped ABA. My new favorite beer and a new personal mission to clone it for homebrewing.
    American Bar Association?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    American Bar Association?

Not quite.

The OP was talking about Arrogant Bastard Ale, AKA ABA

You have much to learn before you are worthy of the Bastard.
    Just go back to drinking your fizzy yellow beer with the multi-million dollar ad campaign that make you feel like you are something special.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Not quite.

Just go back to drinking your fizzy yellow beer with the multi-million dollar ad campaign that make you feel like you are something special.
    Uh...OK. I drink a lot of that stuff...in my nightmares.

Former Bike Wrench
    Stone Double Bastard
    Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball
    Deschutes Mirror Mirror
    Lompoc LSD

These are amongst my favorites

mtbr member
    Pliney the Elder No. Cal.

Toadfather
    Aug 2010
    Russian River Brewing Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder
    Green Flash Ale

tl1
    Bicyclist

Oh it's a quote

Not quite.

Uh...OK. I drink a lot of that stuff...in my nightmares.
    I read the same on the back of an Arrogant Bastard Ale bottle today. Original put downs would be too much to ask.

mtbr member
    I read the same on the back of an Arrogant Bastard Ale bottle today. Original put downs would be too much to ask.
    Hopefully you were drinking that Arrogant Bastard Ale, not just reading the label at the store.

Members who have read this thread: 0