2 Hotdogs, 3 Beers, 50 Miles & 10,000'!- Mtbr.com
    banned

2 Hotdogs, 3 Beers, 50 Miles & 10,000'!

The start time of 8am didn't happen. Not just because I was late, on no sleep and munching doughnuts, as I rolled up to Indian Valley School - but primarily because Dan'ger left his Camelbak at home.

This really wan't a bad thing, as we all had work to do - prepare for the 8 hour slug fest that lay before us.

imjps has some crazy ideas. The weekly Beer Thirty thread gives only a peeled back glimpse through the opaque curtain, into the psyche of this man. It turns out that he's training for the Markleyville Death ride, and has designs on this ride as good preparation for such. Iittle did we know the monster in our midst.

Keven (7HVN), Bernard (60 YO hammer), Dan'ger, Werner (WG), imjps (monster) and myself started our shenanigans at approximately 8:30. MntBecky was nice enough to see us off, and even stow some victuals for us, to be had later at the top of Diablo.

Leasurely we strolled through Shell Ridge.... up, up up!

The first summit arrived as though we had never shifted out of first... in a good way! We were pacing ourselves and knew it! It was freekin cold, and I was ready to get down the hill ASAP.

Total elevation gain = 4,250'

Replenish from MntBecky's truck - have a beer (or not), and down to the Concord side of Mount Diablo, via Devils Elbow...

Here 7HVN and Bernard left us - due to time constraints.

Devils elbow is a technical single track, covered in gravel, littered with railroad tie's, and if you fall, fall to the left! To the right is a drop anywhere from tens to hundreds of feet down

Skittering we dropped down devils elbow to Meridian Trail.

Our brakes were pizzed! We dropped something like 3,000' in 20 minutes!

At the bottom ranger station for a refuel/refill and back up we went!

This time up Mitchell Canyon. This trail is so steep, it's all you can do to not pop a wheelie, and if you don't pop a wheelie, then you're peeling out. its that steep. For a long time.

Climb up 2,700' or so to Juniper Camp and back to the top! 3,849' is Mnt Diablo's top and the second summit really felt like something. Thankfully it was a bit warmer the second time around - and the Guiness didn't hurt much either!

I laid down on the tarmac for warmth until imjps and I realized we needed to keep moving. A lesson learned today: Keep Moving! Stopping sucks on long rides - the body shuts down and takes forever to start back up again.

Down the road to Summit Trail we went - hippies in tow. 4 Hippies at the top, riding Mnt Diablo for the first time needed trail guides, and who better that the Monster and I?

Down Wall Point for some speed and fun.

Lesson Two learned today - well it may not be a lesson - but it was interesting. "Fatigue Plateau". After a while, I think the body realizes that its in for the long haul. We reached the fatigue plateau toward the bottom of wall point and rode it all the way back. The fatigue plaeau is a blessing - the buzzing, mellow goodness of a long ride, without the pain of cramps and spazms. In this delireum we decided we should do a few extra laps ( ).

At this point in the ride The Monster and I were well ahead of the Garmin equipped Dan'ger mobile. If we "finished" the ride 30 minutes before Dan without knowing if we hit 10k, we would have a hard time getting moving again, should we find out we had less that 10k. Hedge our bets, was the pledge.

Down Rips, hoof it back up to Shell Ridge. Back up Briones Mnt Diablo Trail towards Dan and Werner - All in all, I think we gained an extra 500- 1,000' or so - just in case...

Oh gawd thanks for Beef Jerky! It saved my day.

Met Werner somewhere's along the way - only to learn that Dan'ger lost major skin on the road dropping down from the second summit - and was being driven back by a Good Samaritan (they still make those?)

Met Dan at the bottom to find his bike ground down from high speed impact on the pavement, and nerves rattled. All in all: he was lucky - not major skin loss, no broken bones - but most likely some good bruising that he'll feel tomorrow.

Two weiners at the bottom, two beers at the bottom (and one at the top!) - and I was in heaven.

I can't believe we did this -and I can't believe we did this without major convulsive muscle cramping - chalk it up to eating and drinking.

Never before have I heard so much bragadoccio centered around pee. To pee regularly on a ride of this sort is proof positive of maximized intake. Clear and frequent: we're there, dude!

Gosh, what a ride.

Who's got the pics?

Dan - you got the digits? Did we make it? I'm ready to head back out!
    Last edited by imridingmybike; 03-25-2007 at 08:44 PM.

another bozo on the bus
    Looks like I need to step it up a notch. All over these 50 mile/ 10,000' riders make me question my level of fitness.

aka baycat
    Ouch! This ride made my legs hurt more.

Some feat, so this was part weight training towing all the beer around.

Hope Dan'ger heals up.

mtbr member
    The ride from Devils elbow to Clayton can be a bit unnerving. The first few railroad tie drops are bigger than you think and with the downhill slope and adrenalin rush from coming down from the summit, you could endo very easily. The 90 degree hair pins through the manzentia are tough to navagate cleanly and then the loose rocky rutted trail that leads to Meridian Ridge is tough on brakes. I have done that ride from Lime Ridge-Shell Ridge-Summit-Devils Elbow-Deer Flat-Burma Road-Mothers Trail-Lone Pine Creek-back to Lime Ridge (off Treat Blvd.) I was so cramped up that I had to push the last climb from Deer Flat up to Juniper Camp. I can only imagine how much harder it would have been if we had to climb Mitchell Canyon I hope the rider who went down is ok, there seems to be alot of that going on lately ( my wounds from last Sundays crash or almost healed and my new helmet should arrive this week ). Congrats on an epic ride I wish I could have made it.
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

dcubed
    Thnx for putting my 5000' , 30 mile ride to shame

mtbr member

Quite an accomplishment...

Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Ouch! This ride made my legs hurt more.

Some feat, so this was part weight training towing all the beer around.

Hope Dan'ger heals up.

You guys must feel like this guy I saw up at Auburn last weekend:
    Attached Images Attached Images

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Damn, that was one challenging ride! I'm glad we went last week as a "primer" that taught me how much more I need to eat and drink. Made a point of consuming much more today. I feel better than last week's single summit. No cramping.
    Chuck, you covered it pretty well in your write up.
    I approached today as a personal challenge. Can I do something like this? Can I do something like this and not feel like it was an impossible, stupid thing to try.
    Yes. I'm very pleased with myself to have made this. Holy crap am I tired now though.
    Big THANK YOU!!!! to Becky for hauling our stuff up top so we save some grams. A Guinness is just a perfect thing to recharge with at the top of a climb (IMHO).
    IMJPS, Bernard, IRMB and 7HVN were the climbing animals. Wow. Thanks for waiting when you did. Thanks again to IRMB and IMJPS for stashing two beers at the top for Dan and I. We huddled next to a parked car that just came for warmth from the engine.

Misc other things.... saw two snakes, one baby Rattler and the other may have been a Rattler or a Gopher but more I think about its piss poor grumpy attitude as I tried to save its sorry butt by helping it off the trail, it was a rattler.

On the way down, on the road, there was a dude on a unicycle. Past Juniper Camp. Now that's a single speed.

Dan, sh!t. He and I took off from the lot from the top and I got in a groove. That's a very fun road. A bit down by Devil's Elbow, looked back. No Dan. WTF? Hmm, hang for a few minutes thinking mechanical. But this was getting worrisome. Then I see a truck that we had past near the top coming. Handle bars poking out of the bed. That bike had no bike when we passed it earlier. Crap, that's not good. They pull over and Dan's in the back seat. Front tired went flat and he bounced hard off the pavement. The folks in the truck drove Dan back to our cars. I finished a most of the remainder solo. The hammer heads were probably back at the car.
    But noooo..... I stop in Shell to grab another bite of food and hear two characters yelling at me. IRMB and IMJPS were doing backtracking doing bonus climbs. Sheesh.

Brakes were not happy today on the descents. It pissed me off, hikers weren't too thrilled and I'm sure any wildlife within a mile or so was traumatized by the cacophony. So damn load, couldn't hear the tires on the dirt. Or much else for that matter.

Back at the car.... BBQ, snausages and beer. That hit the spot!

Now, some pics:
    1) The beginning of up.
    2) A cloud ceiling. Target summit somewhere in there.
    3) Yes it was chilly up top. The new kilt style jersey helps keep the knees warm
    4) IMJPS zooming along on Devil's Elbow
    Don't harsh my mello

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler

Couple more pics

1) The grumpy snake. Ingrate.
    2) Didn't realize this fit so nicely.
    3) Looking back up again. The weather got nicer after we left apparently.
    4) Looking North down Wall Point.

Thanks again for an incredible ride gents!
    Don't harsh my mello

Feeling a little taller
    I got to Marshall Drive well before the ride was supposed to start so that I could put the final preparation on my gear before the other folks got there. Werner pulled up next and we chatted while getting ready.

Call me Ishmael. Anyway, call me stupid for having remembered to pack everything I needed EXCEPT my CamelBak, that I had brought inside the house to refill. I wasn't going to attempt a ride of this proportion without it, so I set off back to get it, 10 minutes before we were supposed to start.

I got lucky and had all green lights all the way home, grabbed my pack and made it back at 8:05. Turns out enough people were running behind in some way or another, so my tardiness didn't really affect the starting time too badly.

Shell Ridge and Wall Point climb weren't bad. We paced ourselves just right and my legs felt great. We stopped at the gate below the Wall Point junction for our first refueling and to remove excess clothing.

Taking advantage of the break, I decided to relieve myself off the side of the trail in the opposite direction of where the group was standing. Oops! Two women hikers came around a blind corner and based on the response, the must have seen more than what was appropriate. They were cool about it and I was apologetic.

We descended to some creek crossings and up toward BBQ. I cleaned BBQ, most of the parts of summit trail that we rode and continued up the pavement. Smoke'n Bernie darn near flew up BBQ, leaving Chuck and Kevin in the dust. I was astounded by what I viewed from below.

The wind was blowing briskly, at first as a headwind. As we rounded a few of the curves that weave up the mountain, it became a tailwind for a while, aiding us in our climb.

During this time, I though back to last Sunday's ride and how my legs were in agony throughout the single-summit ride and how much better they felt in comparison.

Werner and I stopped at the Devil's Elbow turnoff to refuel and then continued on our climb. The new pavement is very smooth and rolls nicely under even knobby tires. The last 150' of elevation leading up to the peak parking lot gets very steep, 23+% grade but we continued up it as a seemingly small challenge, again in comparison to the previous week's ride.

Upon reaching the peak, Werner and I were taunted in Spanish by the others who were waiting, potentially for a considerable time. Becky was there with our refreshments, so we shared a Guinness, applied sunscreen and gathered supplies since she was splitting for the day.

It was windy, cold and foggy at the top and we didn't want to hang around long either. After we got packed up, we set off to Devil's Elbow, this time to leave the pavement for a while. Kevin and Bernard left us and we continued down, down, down a technical singletrack with lots of rocky fun bits and some really tight switchbacks.

Monster #1 got caught up on one of the rocky climbing bits which caused a train-wreck of dismounting. After that, there was alot more down which consisted of loudly squealing brakes and fear and loathing of loose, scrabbly rock strewn about the trail.

Bruce Lee trail would have saved us an immense amount of time to get to the Mitchell Canyon parking lot but we took the high road toward the stable which doubled back again. At least it was all downhill.

We took another break at Mitchell and called EBrider to harass him about his absence. About 20 minutes later, we packed up and headed up the miserable climb of the MC trail. Lots of walking ensued.

Werner caught up to the Monsters at the tail end of their break at Deer Flat and Chuck was nice enough to leave us with some power pork. We chowed and stretched a bit before setting off into some more mixed pedaling and walking.

Along the steep section before Juniper Campground, we watched the birds and admired the wildflowers and watched a tiny rattlesnake slither off the trail. As he reached the grass, he poked his head upward and we could see very well that it was a rattler from the shape of its head. We were pretty sure to begin with but it's neat to see such things.

A couple hundred yards further up the trail, we encountered a garter snake with attitude. Werner didn't want to see it squished flat, so he tried to usher it off the trail, only to have it coil back and strike at his foot. He finally got a stick to reposition it out of potential harm.

We passed through Juniper and reached the road again, pausing to refuel once more. Both of our legs were starting to hurt a little but still considerably less than the previous week's ride of just the single summit.

As we reached the final stretch to the second summit, Chuck rolled up from the opposite direction to touch base. He and Monster had gotten cold and tired of waiting for us, so they were headed back down. No big deal really for them to not wait for us but was nice of them to tell us where they had stashed the other treasure at the top.

Uneventfully, we reached the summit for the second time. Again, it was cold and windy, but slightly warmer than the first. Werner found the treasure and we sat in front of a car with warm engine to keep warm while enjoying the booty.

When we finished celebrating, we once again refilled our bottles, checked our tires, shocks and brakes and set off for our final descent. On our way down the driveway, we followed a slow-moving black truck, waiting for our chance to pass. The driver was nice, noticed our intent and pulled off to let us go by.

About 1/2 mile later, I went down. I didn't know how it happened but the next thing I know, the bike popped out to my right hard and I landed on my left hip and helmet - HARD. I heard the helmet crack and I slid about 20 feet. As I was sliding, I was thinking, "this is going to hurt. Sliding on pavement is never fun."

I came to a stop not far from a road-side hiker. She asked me repeatedly, "Are you OK?" I replied that I thought I was and slowly sat up. I pulled my bike from the road and sat down on the gravel to check myself out.

I was shaken and thought that I could be badly hurt, so I took things slow and did a body check. Fingers and toes, check. Elbows and knees, check but my left elbow hurts a little. Collarbones, wrists, neck - check, check, check.

About this time, the black truck pulled up behind me. The driver jumped out and asked me if I was OK since he saw me checking myself out. I replied that it looked good but I needed a few minutes to pull myself together. He offered to wait and give me a lift down.

I took off my helmet, windbreaker, gloves and arm warmers. Once again, the gloves had saved my hands and the helmet had saved my head. My windbreaker's left sleeve was badly torn up and I feared what I would see underneath. My arm warmer, however, only had a small hole in it and on taking it off, I had a quarter-sized scrape on my elbow.

My hip, all I can say is that the Voler MTBR shorts must be made of Kevlar. I slid that entire distance and the shorts show no sign of wear and while I have a bruise, no scrape penetrated.

I shook myself off a bit and the guy helped me load my bike in his truck. His wife was so nice to take the back seat, so that I could sit in the more comfortable front seat. It's astounding to have found such good Samaritans in this age.

We stopped for a bit when we found Werner a short ways down the hill and let him know what happened. He continued on without me at that point.

It turns out that they live not far from Marshall Drive and so offered to drive me to my truck. I was so thankful that they found me. It would have been enough for them to have stopped and help but they went above and beyond.

When we got back to Marshall, the guy unloaded my bike from his truck. The front tire was flat. It's no wonder I got pitched. I thanked him and his wife again and they took off.

I called the other 3 to let them know I made it to the bottom OK and to find out their ETA so I could fire up the grill. With no return call, I mixed and drank my recovery drink, popped some vitamin I and vitamin V and cleaned out my elbow, and set back to wait.

When the monsters and Werner got there at the same time, I found out that the monsters had decided to get some bonus feet just in case. Once we had everybody together, we ended the day with a recap, some hot links and Tatanka IPA.
    Last edited by Dan'ger; 03-26-2007 at 09:21 AM.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Welcome to club 10K, it's getting less exclusive by the day.

Well Done

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Good work, all!

I'm very relieved that it sounds like you escaped your crash with little damage, Dan. After reading IRMB's writeup, I feared you'd be a bloody wreck.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

NedwannaB

Most importantly.....

......this!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Collarbones, wrists, neck - check, check, check.
    Glad you came out relatively unscathed.

Quite an epic you guys did. I had a mini one up here in A'del,Sugarloaf,A'del trying to get ready for Boggs.......

mtbr member
    Monster? Hardly...I'm just a rider looking for a good ride. I'll leave the monster moniker to someone else.

Chuck and I planted the seed for this ride several months ago as a challenge. I'm sure people have done this before and probably have done twice the amount of Diablo MTB climbing as we did. So now as I sit here with sore legs, I'm thinking "OK, let's go for 3 summits".

As the others have said, food and hydration are the key. I didn't cramp at any point during this ride. Hammer Gel and Hammer Perpetuem are what I used, along w/ P.B & Honey Sammichs and some Turkey Jerky. Forgive me here, I was too full to finish my Guinness.

I think the breaks were a bit too long at the 1st summit and at Mitchell Canyon, but that's the learning experience.

We finished off this ride with our own personal BBQ of sausages and IPA. Resting in our chairs, enjoying the camaraderie, ogling at the female hikers and rehashing our war stories. Good times. Thanks Chuck, Dan, Werner, Kevin and Bernard for a great day. And thank you Becky for the Summit support!
    Last edited by imjps; 03-26-2007 at 09:46 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imjps
    Monster? Hardly...I'm just a rider looking for a good ride. I'll leave the monster moniker to someone else.

Chuck and I planted the seed for this ride several months ago as a challenge. I'm sure people have done this before and probably have done twice the amount of Diablo MTB climbing as we did. So now as I sit here with sore legs, I'm thinking "OK, let's go for 3 summits".

As the others have said, food and hydration are the key. I didn't cramp at any point during this ride. Hammer Gel and Hammer Perpetuem are what I used, along w/ P.B & Honey Sammichs and some Turkey Jerky. Forgive me here, I was too full to finish my Guinness.

I think the breaks were a bit too long at the 1st summit and at Mitchell Canyon, but that's the learning experience.

We finished off this ride with our own personal BBQ of sausages and IPA. Resting in our chairs, enjoying the camaraderie, ogling at the female hikers and rehashing our war stories. Good times. Thanks Chuck, Dan, Werner, Kevin and Bernard for a great day.
    You're a sadistic, kaniving (SP?) monster!

This ride was all your idea, and you know it!

Who's down for an Auburn 10k?

NedwannaB

Still impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by imjps

We finished off this ride with our own personal BBQ of sausages and IPA. Resting in our chairs, enjoying the camaraderie, ogling at the female hikers and rehashing our war stories. Good times. Thanks Chuck, Dan, Werner, Kevin and Bernard for a great day. And thank you Becky for the Summit support!

End of ride festivities like this are always the best Jim. It's what makes us forget the pain in order to sign up for another one in the future!!

Good job to all yaz!

Feeling a little taller
    Well, guys. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like imjps and imrmb might have made the threshhold of 10K' but it's a close one. Werner probably didn't make it for his lack of bonus footies. I definately didn't make it.

The full res map is here: https://www.brionesmafia.com/images/...ublesummit.jpg

It's a big file so I didn't think it appropriate to post it in full here.

I guess we need a triple summit to put this one to bed.
    Last edited by Dan'ger; 03-26-2007 at 04:43 PM.

banned
    Well, guys. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like imjps and imrmb might have made the threshhold of 10K' but it's a close one. Werner probably didn't make it for his lack of bonus footies. I definately didn't make it.

The full res map is here: https://www.brionesmafia.com/images/...ublesummit.jpg

It's a big file so I didn't think it appropriate to post it in full here.

I guess we need a triple summit to put this one to bed.
    Good thing Jim and I did the bonus loops!

bicycle rider
    Wow, sounds like an amazing day. I'm sad I missed it. I spent the rest of Sunday rebuilding my Blur. (I replaced or did maintenance on every freakin' piece of that bike.) Now I have a geared bike for summer. Just in time for... Monday.

I'll ride with you next time. Good job, that's a monstrous ride.

Morgan

Feeling a little taller
    So, here we are 2 days later and the bruises and pain are just getting started. My left hip/thigh decided to bloom into a dark purple bruise in which you can see the lines from the seams in my shorts. My right hip is sore for no apparent reason and my left shoulder and neck are stiff.

My Tracer will not be functional until sometime next week when I get motivated to get parts and put it together so I'm singlespeeding or cx'ing for now. And slowly to boot until my hips feel better.

mtbr member
    We took another break at Mitchell and called EBrider to harass him about his absence.
    Sorry I missed it. No traveling for at least a month, so that should help open up my weekends in April.

Anyone want to ride this again on Saturday?

Members who have read this thread: 0