What size Prime?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

What size Prime?

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I currently own a Phantom (2014, size L, CCDB air IL) but have moved house from somewhere where most of my riding was rolling singletrack and grassy decents (Northumberland, England) to somewhere where the ups and downs are steeper, lumpier and generally more brutal (Mid-east Scotland). I'm feeling pretty beaten up on the Phantom so have decided to get a longer travel bike. Obvious choice is a Prime as I love the Phantom and all the parts would just port over with only a shim needed for the seatpost.

But.....the Phantom has always felt a little short in reach (450mm reach with 50mm stem) and the seat angle too slack, particularly on climbs, and I usually have the saddle pretty much all the way back on the rails. I'm 6ft with 34" inside leg and +3 ape index. I also run the Phantom with a -1deg headset, 785 bars and 130mm forks.

So, bearing all of that in mind I was thinking that the L Prime with a 35-40mm stem would be too short but an XL with 35mm stem would only be 19mm longer than my Phantom is now, taking reach and stem into account, but I'd still be able to have a 150mm dropper (and still knock a degree off the HA if I wanted to with a Works headset ).

Or is there a revised Prime in size L that may address my desires in the works?

Thoughts and opinions please.........

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    go XL - i'm about the same dimensions but shorter inseam. I ride an L but could go XL (share the bike with my wife and that would be too long)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    XL for you given what you've stated. And that longer dropper post should make a nice feature too.

mtbr member
    OK, everything you've written makes sense, except the fact that the STA seems too slack and then you state you have the saddle slammed all the way back on the rails Did you mean you have the saddle slammed all the way forward? If you've got it slammed all the way back because that';s what's comfortable, then that's where you'll have it on a bigger frame. If however you have it slammed back because you feel cramped, then a bigger frame should do you what you want.

I'm 6'2" and have ridden a size Large Phantom since it was released, running a 70mm stem and 780mm bar, was on an XL Pre-production Prime, which I have to run a 40mm stem on. I have an inseam of 35.25" and I run a setback seatpost because the STA is just too steep for me for more all terrain, pedally type days or really being able to get the power down in a big gear on flats/rolling terrain or your avg climb grade.

I plan to move to an XL 2017> Phantom and expect I'll be running a 40-50mm stem, maybe 60mm depending on what sweep bar I decide to go with - either my old regular 9 degree or my new preference on my rigid of 16 degrees.

Haven't heard any whispers of a re-design, but Banshee generally likes to keep a frame in production for at least 3 years before any re-design/updates are introduced, so since the Prime was last updated in 2017, I'd not think there'll be any big updates until at least 2020 MY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Cheers all, xl it is then.
    Lynx - saddle was all the way back to make room, ideally I'd have had it forward to counter the slackish seat angle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Planning on getting my CCDBairIL lengthened for the Prime but what should the base tune be? How many rubber bands?

Cane Creek don't seem to have manufacturer base tunes any more for the Prime.

mtbr member
    Honestly, unless you live someplace close to a service centre for them and don't mind having a shock that's in no way user serviceable, I'd avoid getting that. Go for something like the DVO Topaz, X-Fusion Vector HLR, Fox X2 or DPX2, or even a Manitou McLeod.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidlaw View Post
    Planning on getting my CCDBairIL lengthened for the Prime but what should the base tune be? How many rubber bands?

Cane Creek don't seem to have manufacturer base tunes any more for the Prime.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Honestly, unless you live someplace close to a service centre for them and don't mind having a shock that's in no way user serviceable, I'd avoid getting that. Go for something like the DVO Topaz, X-Fusion Vector HLR, Fox X2 or DPX2, or even a Manitou McLeod.
    Why? Mine has been faultless for 3 years with 1 service on the Phantom. It costs 200 GBP to have it serviced and lengthened compared to >450 for an equivalent spec shock with similar tunability.

mtbr member
    Ah well, if that's the route, thought you meant buying and lengthening a new on sale one, makes perfect sense. So you're going to strip the Phantom completely of parts and hang it on the wall until you need it again then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidlaw View Post
    Why? Mine has been faultless for 3 years with 1 service on the Phantom. It costs 200 GBP to have it serviced and lengthened compared to >450 for an equivalent spec shock with similar tunability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Phantom frame is going to my brother with the original monarch shock. Still some soft southern English miles left in her yet! All other parts are moving straight over.