Water/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Water/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee

Hi guys, Spitfire V2 is the bike in question. While 99% of the time I am just hooning this bike on 1-2hr rides with buddies, once a year I do an all day suffer fest. 10-14hr event. And then of course training rides ahead of it.

Would be huge to get some weight off my back for this event. Has anyone actually had good luck with the underside water bottle mount? I have tried it once and my bottle ejected on the first DH. But it was a $5 alu cage, complete garbage. Haven't tried a really nice cage. Would I want side-entry? Is that more secure?

And then, something like the below strap for a tube/co2/levers....you have any ideas where you might try mounting this on a Banshee? The cables make the seat-tube/down-tube a tough spot to fit it. Worst case I will mount it to the saddle.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I always ride with a water bottle on the underside of the downtube of my Spitfire. I have never had a bottle eject from the cage (except for one time when I broke the cage). I have been using the Elite Custom Race cage and prior to that I used a Lezyne one.

On longer rides I strap a tube above the shock mount on the downtube with a Backcountry Research strap

mtbr member
    On my rune I have a multi tool in the crank axle, chain breaker in my handlebar, fabric water bottle and holder, and a backcountry research saddle strap and lastly another backcountry research strap on my top tube for gloves and snacks. Works well for 2-3 hour rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Awesome feedback dudes!

mtbr member
    Look for either an Arundel Stainless cage or a King Cage Iris cage. They are both very tough and I can't imagine a bottle being ejected from either. I use both and have never lost a bottle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The specialized zee cage is excellent as well.

Does anyone have a bottle recommendation with a cap to keep the muck out?

mtbr member
    Nalgene all terrain bottle

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by junersun View Post
    nalgene all terrain bottle
    ty!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Spitfire...
    Fabric 660ml bottle, IS to PM adaptor, tapped and threaded for M5 bolts which are loctited in place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Cool-blue Rhythm

Water/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee-img_8160.jpgWater/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee-big_cb7cbfd4059a49de9ce4796087614243.jpg

Hi guys.

If you are wondering how you mount the water bottle under the downtube for those who run Banshee V2 2013 model. This is how i do it.

The mount i bought from Decathlon and it cost $10 or less. They works but have to add zip ties to make it a bit tighter and more secure.

mtbr member
    Since this was re-hashed, here's ,y $0.02. You could use one of those triangular bags that people normally mount between the top of the ST/TT junction and mount it upside down by the BB/DT/ST junction, plenty storage for tube, multi tool, Co2, patch kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Since this was re-hashed, here's ,y $0.02. You could use one of those triangular bags that people normally mount between the top of the ST/TT junction and mount it upside down by the BB/DT/ST junction, plenty storage for tube, multi tool, Co2, patch kit.
    Idea! I go and buy one. Perfect for keeping the inner tube, tools, etc dry. Why i didn't of this?

mtbr member
    Only problem you would run into, which is probably why more don't/haven't tried it, is if you're running an internal dropper, then it wouldn't fit without modifications. You could always order one of these 1/2 frame bags, should fit no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poch Maui View Post
    Idea! I go and buy one. Perfect for keeping the inner tube, tools, etc dry. Why i didn't of this?
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Only problem you would run into, which is probably why more don't/haven't tried it, is if you're running an internal dropper, then it wouldn't fit without modifications. You could always order one of these 1/2 frame bags, should fit no problem.

Yep I'm running internal dropper but my bike is 2013 model which run under the bottom bracket and I can see the triangle frame bag might able to fit. Will update again. Looking for a frame bag at the moment.

mtbr member
    Go crazy Frame Bags | Jenson USA (Page 1 of 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Poch Maui View Post
    Yep I'm running internal dropper but my bike is 2013 model which run under the bottom bracket and I can see the triangle frame bag might able to fit. Will update again. Looking for a frame bag at the moment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I squeesed in both a framebag and a waterbottle on my 2014 Spitfire. No more pack. I usually also have a tube strapped above the shock

Water/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee-img_9263.jpg
    With plus rubber and a mudhugger for winter riding.

Water/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee-dsc_0173.jpg
    Some more details, I moved the cables outwards to gain a little extra space. The dropper cable represents no problems at all.
    Endless Trails Outdoor Equipment - Waterproof bikepacking bags and outdoor equipment

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Endless Trails View Post
    I squeesed in both a framebag and a waterbottle on my 2014 Spitfire. No more pack. I usually also have a tube strapped above the shock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9263.jpg 
Views:	988 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	1160822

Name:	DSC_0173.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	1160823
    Some more details, I moved the cables outwards to gain a little extra space. The dropper cable represents no problems at all.
    That frame bag is nice and nearly perfect fit. May i know where did you buy them? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Assume this is an XL frame? Need pics of how you attached the bottle cage to the shock mount and of that bag, looks very neat
    Quote Originally Posted by Endless Trails View Post

Name:	IMG_9263.jpg 
Views:	988 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	1160822

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Assume this is an XL frame? Need pics of how you attached the bottle cage to the shock mount and of that bag, looks very neat
    Well, shameless selfpromotion coming up... I'm running a small brand making among other things bikepacking bags. I'm also knocking up some of these smaller framebags for general riding. I've put them on everything from XC-bikes to DH's. All are tailored to each frame to get a perfect fit.

Endless Trails Outdoor Equipment

The frame is a large, a medium might be a bit too small to fit anything but a 350 ml bottle but I haven't tried so..

The cage is an Elite Cannibal cage that I grinded down a little bit so it fits inside the shock mount. A few zipties and you're good to go!

Water/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee-img_9647.jpg
    The Elite Cannibal cage is really good for this application as it's a hybrid between a side-loading and a normal cage so it's quite easy to get the bottle out.

Sorry about the dirty bike, tore my chin up pretty badly and had to go and get some stitches the last time I was out before taking these photos!
    Endless Trails Outdoor Equipment - Waterproof bikepacking bags and outdoor equipment

mtbr member
    I use the race face stash strap and lace it through the forward shock mount.

Water/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee-img_8064.jpgWater/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee-img_8066.jpgWater/tube/CO2 storage on a Banshee-img_8067.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The frame is a large, a medium might be a bit too small to fit anything but a 350 ml bottle but I haven't tried so..

The cage is an Elite Cannibal cage that I grinded down a little bit so it fits inside the shock mount. A few zipties and you're good to go!

Name:	IMG_9647.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	1161448
    The Elite Cannibal cage is really good for this application as it's a hybrid between a side-loading and a normal cage so it's quite easy to get the bottle out.

Would this only fit in large frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Tried this storage today, with a Muthaload from Backcountry Research. Nothing to say until now. Just happy to just have to grab the bike and ride for little home loops.

mtbr member
    I got inspired and tried it myself on the run v2. It's a little tight... what water bottle are you running in that small space?

Quote Originally Posted by zuman View Post

Name:	IMG_9647.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	1161448

Would this only fit in large frame?

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    well no fix on the water bottle for me, but I followed some of the others here with a Backcountry research strap:

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If anybody is looking for a reliable bottleholder for the downtube you should try the Fidlock 600 - it's a magnetic system, not cheap though. So far I never lost the bottle - even when the going got though.....great system!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    good thread and info, you guys probably have seen this but just in case. Lithified this guy is up by you I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6J8BTwTpk