V3 Rune build / stoke thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

V3 Rune build / stoke thread

Hey all, Iím building up a Rune this Spring after spending the last 6 or so years on a V2 Spitfire with a stout 160/140 build and in 26Ē mode. I love my Spitfire and didnít have much of a reason to change until the new V3 lineup came out. I feel like I would have a blast on ANY of the new bikes so the choice was tough. In the end Iím content with the choice and damn eager to get out on this new Rune.

Currently waiting on a medium raw frame with a factory X2 (ďupgradedĒ because itís what I have on my Spitfire and mostly because....moar). This is my version of a Gucci build and other parts include a 2019 Fox 180mm grip2 36, WeR1 27.5 Unions on Onyx Vesper hubs, XT drivetrain and brakes and a OneUp bar, stem and dropper. It might end up being too nice, donít want to feel bad treating this thing like a bike .

Anyway, reviews are nonexistent as far as I can tell and itíll be a couple weeks till I get this built up... anyone have any time on a V3 Rune who can weigh in and stoke the fire?

26 for life.
    The stoke is high with this one.
    I've had mine for 2 weeks & it's a big step up from my Spitfire.
    Climbs better & descends way better.
    Finally got a big fork for it today, Z1 Bomber coil, loving it.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice kiwijohn, I think you were in the same boat as me earlier...kinda torn between the Spitfre and Rune. Glad to hear youíre happy with your choice. That bomber coil should be really fun. Itís so cool to hear how well your Rune climbs! I am constantly amazed by how versatile new bikes are. Itís almost like thereís no reason not to get a longer travel bike like the Rune these days.

I did a ride with my old Spitty tonight and broke some spokes casing a little gap. I sure am glad to be building up a new bike as the 7 year old parts on my current bike start to show their age.

26 for life.
    V3 Rune build / stoke thread-epgejbo.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi here,
    I'm in the same position, currently running a '14 spitfire the new lineup is lurking to my wallet again
    I was earlier more on the 29" things for my next one but will more probably go for a rune or a spit, so can't wait for your reviews and side by side comparison

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Kiwijohn: Nice looking bike man! What travel are you running on the fork?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyn View Post
    Hi here,
    I'm in the same position, currently running a '14 spitfire the new lineup is lurking to my wallet again
    I was earlier more on the 29" things for my next one but will more probably go for a rune or a spit, so can't wait for your reviews and side by side comparison
    I know your struggle . My Rune should be arriving sometime next week but not sure how the pandemic will affect things. I'll definitely post here when the frame arrives and I've had some time on it. Here's my Spitfire:

V3 Rune build / stoke thread-img_3304.jpg

26 for life.
    180mm on the forks @morox

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post
    180mm on the forks @morox
    Rad, thanks. The 36 I bought was a take-off and I got it at a steal. It's in 180mm mode as well which I thought might be too long for trail rides but I'll give it a go as is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Frame arrived today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V3 Rune build / stoke thread-img_4346.jpg  

26 for life.
    Need some more Rune stoke in here. Finally sent this road gap today.V3 Rune build / stoke thread-pu7gc26.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morox View Post
    Hey all, Iím building up a Rune this Spring after spending the last 6 or so years on a V2 Spitfire with a stout 160/140 build and in 26Ē mode. I love my Spitfire and didnít have much of a reason to change until the new V3 lineup came out. I feel like I would have a blast on ANY of the new bikes so the choice was tough. In the end Iím content with the choice and damn eager to get out on this new Rune.

Currently waiting on a medium raw frame with a factory X2 (ďupgradedĒ because itís what I have on my Spitfire and mostly because....moar). This is my version of a Gucci build and other parts include a 2019 Fox 180mm grip2 36, WeR1 27.5 Unions on Onyx Vesper hubs, XT drivetrain and brakes and a OneUp bar, stem and dropper. It might end up being too nice, donít want to feel bad treating this thing like a bike .

Anyway, reviews are nonexistent as far as I can tell and itíll be a couple weeks till I get this built up... anyone have any time on a V3 Rune who can weigh in and stoke the fire?
    In the same boat as you guys... Running a 26" Spitty from '14. and super happy with it, but the V3 models looking really sweet... I recently bought a Kona Unit X for tours, XC rides and light trail duty, so looking to get a bigger bike.

In the running: Titan, Prime, Rune, Spitty and Knolly Warden/Fugitive... Will be some time since I pull the trigger on a new frame so checking all the reviews. Too bad there is no way to demo any of those bikes in Croatia....

V3 Rune build / stoke thread-20200406_194533000_ios.jpg