V3 Prime / Phantom- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

V3 Prime / Phantom

Anyone have one with a coil shock yet?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

...In the meantime.
    Not yet...but soon. DVO is earmarking a Jade X for my Phantom V3, when they become available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilBkr View Post
    Not yet...but soon. DVO is earmarking a Jade X for my Phantom V3, when they become available.
    Do you have the Phantom build up yet?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The Phantom V3 scores consistently high marks against some well-established players in a recent Vital MTB test. And looks way better than everything in the process.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...-Reviewed,2835

mtbr member
    Just finished my Prime build last week and rode 12 miles yesterday. I was afraid that I wouldn't like the long chain stays or wheelbase but it's the best turning bike I have ever ridden. Suspension felt great and I didn't make any adjustments from what I had set in the garage. Just need to bleed the rear brake and get some more dirt on it.

XL 32.2 lbs w/o pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V3 Prime / Phantom-prime.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracerX View Post
    Just finished my Prime build last week and rode 12 miles yesterday. I was afraid that I wouldn't like the long chain stays or wheelbase but it's the best turning bike I have ever ridden. Suspension felt great and I didn't make any adjustments from what I had set in the garage. Just need to bleed the rear brake and get some more dirt on it.

XL 32.2 lbs w/o pedals
    nice dude what was your previous bike ? i currently ride a 2017 trek remedy and worried the prime will feel huge on the trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turner_nz View Post
    nice dude what was your previous bike ? i currently ride a 2017 trek remedy and worried the prime will feel huge on the trail
    2016 Transition Smuggler, also XL. I was also worried since the Prime is 2 inches longer but right away it felt natural. No weird body English needed to go through some of the tight turns on the downhill like I needed on my old bike. Flatter flowy sections at the bottom of my local trail system were just as fun if not more.

mtbr member
    The Vital review is exactly what I wanted to hear about the Phantom, but 31 pounds is just a little disappointing. Would it be reasonable to get a Phantom down 27ish pounds?

Also, any opinions on using a non reservoir shock on the Phantom? Something like the Fox DPS.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Most mid priced trailbikes these days are hovering around 30-31lbs, even carbon ones. The tech exists to make them lighter but then things start to be less durable.

My prime with carbon hoops, carbon bars, coil fork and exo tires weighs a smidge over 32lbs.

My carbon firebird with alloy hoops, carbon bars, carbon cranks, coil fork, X2 and tire inserts weighs....a smidge over 32lbs.

I think bike mfrs are sick of bikes breaking, so they keep around 30lbs and just make them more capable.

Put fast tires on your bike if you want it to feel fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    The Vital review is exactly what I wanted to hear about the Phantom, but 31 pounds is just a little disappointing. Would it be reasonable to get a Phantom down 27ish pounds?

Also, any opinions on using a non reservoir shock on the Phantom? Something like the Fox DPS.
    Ripley Carbon Frame in medium is 6lbs and a Phantom is 7.8lbs. So for the same build a Phantom is only 1.8lbs heavier than a V4 Ripley- not bad considering it's AL with a PB Shock. 1/3 of lb in the shock alone.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

Remember that in the Vital review they used control tires that were very heavy. The Assegai 2.5WT EXO+ is 1,125 g and the Aggressor 2.3 DD is 1,115 g. That's 2,240 for the pair. You could easily lose weight there and still have a good solid set of tires. As Twotone said, the frame is 7.8lbs so with carefully selected parts it wouldn't be too hard to build a pretty light bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    Most mid priced trailbikes these days are hovering around 30-31lbs, even carbon ones. The tech exists to make them lighter but then things start to be less durable.

My prime with carbon hoops, carbon bars, coil fork and exo tires weighs a smidge over 32lbs.

My carbon firebird with alloy hoops, carbon bars, carbon cranks, coil fork, X2 and tire inserts weighs....a smidge over 32lbs.

I think bike mfrs are sick of bikes breaking, so they keep around 30lbs and just make them more capable.

Put fast tires on your bike if you want it to feel fast.
    This ^^^^^^^^

I have a V1 Phantom that Iíve TRIED to break the 30 pound barrier but no bueno. Even down to a set of Cane Creek eeWings.

At the expense of sounding cliche, Banshees ride WAY lighter than what the scale says, are burly as h$ll, and have a solid feel thatís hard to describe.

That being said, my V3 Prime frame arrived yesterday and the build up starts this weekend. And yes, Iím gonna try to break the 30 pound barrier. But itís not gonna happen..... 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Braaap
    All test bikes had Maxxis EXO+ and DD tires, take off a 1lb by swapping to EXO tires...or try not to weigh your bike.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    You can probably get it to around 29lbs with the aforementioned lighter tires, X01 cassette, carbon cranks. You can also use some lighter clip pedals. The MRP fork isn't the lightest either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I put some lightweight parts on my spitfire V3 and got it down to just under 28lbs... really didn't like how it handled, it got skittish, parts felt flexy and it was slower on descents without being noticeably faster on climbs. So built it back up to 32,5lbs and am much happier. I don't notice the difference when climbing at all (only maybe when lifting over fences etc a little) and it's much more stable, faster and fun on the descents.

Stop worrying about bike weight so much, I'd argue for the type of riding that most banshee customers focus on (when pointed downhill) a heavier bike is advantageous. Focus on how well the parts work rather than how much they weigh and you'll be a faster and happier rider.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

flailer
    Sep 2012
    ^^best advice I have read in a long time^^
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune (sold)
    '91 Spec Allez Epic Carbon (wall art)

mtbr member
    Not sure why some get jacked up when the weight question gets asked. Everybody has different priorities. I can see myself using a lighter Phantom for rides in the 30/40/50 mile range and a heavier built Titan for dh oriented days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I donít get the sense that anyoneís jacked up. Get your point re: different priorities though. I think as Keith (Bansheeís chief engineer) alluded to above, most of us Banshee riders were initially attracted to this brand because not that long ago they designed the only trail bikes with geometry that actually felt fun and confidence inspiring while descending. Hence the majority of Banshee riders prioritizing a solid build at the expense of lower weight on paper. FWIW I have ridden several long bikepack routes (including the Durango to Moab San Juan route, 7 days in the Chilcotins and the whole Colorado Trail) on my 33 lb V2 Spitfire and would not have changed a thing on my build. Itís my only bike and is just as happy climbing 2000-5000 ft up my local trails as it is going back down. I think dropping 1-2 lbs off the frame or build would only hurt performance and reduce my confidence on the bike. Also, parts used to break a lot more when I tried to worry about weight. Now my bike is solid and Iíve reduced the amount of broken parts in the landfill. To each their own though, not trying to diminish anotherís opinion.

...In the meantime.
    To reply to the initial question...I finally received my Jade X coil for my Phantom V3...And it feels amazing! It's so much more sensitive than the Fox DPX2 it's silly. I don't have any trail time on it yet (I just received the shock yesterday), But I'll have a better impression of it after the weekend. The only thing that I'm concerned about now is that my fork won't feel up to snuff compared to the rear suspension.

In terms of the question of getting this bike into the 27-28 lb range, I think it would be quite difficult without making some major compromises particularly in terms of tires and wheels. My large frame with headset cups, 148x12 short dropouts, and the stock FOX DPX2 weighed in at 8.3lbs. Fully built with the air shock I got it to around 31.5lbs...the coil shock added about a pound to that.

I'm excited to get this thing out to the trails and see how she goes with the Jade X!

It occurs to me that I should include some basic build specs, so here goes:

Frame: Phantom V3 large blk anno
    Crankset: Raceface Turbine Cinch w/32t ring
    Drivetrain: SRAM XX1 11 speed.
    Brakes: Hope Tech3 E4 with 180mm rotors f and r
    Stem: Syntace Megaforce 50mm
    Bar: Spank Oozy 780 Vibrocore 25mm rise
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb B1 170mm with Bikeyoke Dehy adapter and Bikeyoke lever
    Fork: MRP Ribbon (set to 135mm)
    Shock: DVO Jade X with 450 or 500lb spring (I kinda split the difference).
    Wheels: Hope Pro 4's laced to DT Swiss XM 421 rims.
    Tires: Continental Trail King 2.4 Apex Protection (F), Continental X-King 2.3 Apex Protection (R). Both black Chili compound. Tubeless.

Me: 5'11ish, 175lbs ish with my gear
    Last edited by EvilBkr; 02-27-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added Information

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Prolly gonna go coil on my Prime as well. Be interested to hear feedback. Was looking at the bomber cr or DVO

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    More pics and ride impressions.... please!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Been thinking about picking up a part time bikepacking bike with ability to shred. Itd mainly be a do-it-all mountain bike thats acceptable for bikepacking.

Eg. looking at going to South America for a few months, so itd be my only bike for a bit. But Id like to take camping gear and do anything from quick day trips to week-long outings. Probably nothing longer than that

Looking at the SC Tallboy, Norco Optic (AL prefered tho), and the Phantom V3. Any inputs on this for the Phantom? Or what would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bet the Phantom would be perfect for this. Iíve been using my V2 Spitfire (140rear/160front) like this for years. Has been fantastic. I love having one bike that can do everything from long bikepacking trips to trail rides in OR, WA and BC. I would consider the Prime as well. A good bikepack route should have fun singletrack! And why not ride your favorite bike on good single track? Basically I tend to be fine with a burlier bike (and more durable) at the expense of...Iím not sure what really. When Iím bikepacking, I really just want to be able to ride as close to normal as I would in any other ride. Meaning, I donít want to feel like my bike is holding me back from having fun on the trail. Makes for more fun riding and less breakdowns on longer trips.

FWIW Iím putting my philosophy to the test and will be riding a V3 Rune on the Oregon Timber Trail this summer. Admittedly overkill but thatís the bike I want for everyday trail riding so thatís what I bought.

Realistically I think a Prime, Phantom or even Spitfire would all be perfect jack of all trade type bikes. Especially in South America where parts might be hard to come by, I would go with a heavier/more durable build.

Where are you going to ride in South America?

edit: After thinking about this, itís clearly a personal choice... any of the bikes you listed but especially Phantom will be killer!
    Last edited by morox; 03-03-2020 at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracerX View Post

XL 32.2 lbs w/o pedals
    How tall are you? I'm 6'4" with a longer torso, and trying to figure out if the XL will be big enough for me.

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by scurry4 View Post
    How tall are you? I'm 6'4" with a longer torso, and trying to figure out if the XL will be big enough for me.
    Absolutely IMO. I'm 6'4" (37" inseam) and I'm also comfortable on the large. My preference would be large Titan or XL Prime.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    V3 Prime / Phantom-b65c729f-471a-48e8-b061-78f5362bd670.jpeg

V3 Prime / Phantom-1a4131de-dc66-41ba-9963-ee246ed7854e.jpg

Finally!!!! Replaces my Phantom......

Banshee Prime V3, size Large
    MRP Ribbon Coil, 150mm
    Industry Nine Torch hubs, Spank Oozy Trail 350 hoops
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT/ Aggressor 2.5WT
    TRP G-Spec Trail SL brakes, 203mm/180mm rotors
    Chromag BZA stem, 50mm
    Chromag BZA 35 Bar
    Chromag Trailmaster LTD saddle
    OneUp Dropper Post, 180mm drop, PNW Loam Lever
    Cane Creek EEWings crankset, 175mm
    Wolftooth 30 Tooth Oval Ring
    EThirteen TRS Race 11 Speed cassette
    KMC Ti Nitride chain
    Shimano XTR 11 Speed derailleur
    OneUp Pedals

*** Drivetrain will be replaced with Box One Prime 9 when available***

Braaap
    The Ewings on the raw frame looks amazing!
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    The Ewings on the raw frame looks amazing!
    Indeed. Wish I could justify those things. Frickin' sweet.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Ride impressions??

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flow Chaser View Post
    Ride impressions??

Unfortunately as soon as I finished building it up it snowed, then I had to go to work. Wonít get a chance to ride it until next week. Itís KILLING me!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    New Prime is dope. I've run the DPX2 and a Bomber CR.

DPX2 gives more support for pumping and pedaling. Bomber for more traction with some pedal bob. I swap back and forth depending on what I need for a particular ride.

Its the best cornering bike I've owned. And it looks sick AF in raw.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried a 185x55 shock on the Phantom?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Anyone tried a 185x55 shock on the Phantom?

It will not work. If this is something you are considering because you want more travel, then I suggest looking at the prime.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    It will not work. If this is something you are considering because you want more travel, then I suggest looking at the prime.
    Thanks for the reply Keith, you would know! I already have a Phantom and love it, just exploring coil shock options.