V3 models- Mtbr.com

Thread: V3 models

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

V3 models

Any news/hints/rumours about a Prime / Phantom V3 model?

I am on the 6th season on the first Phantom model (longest time I ever had the same bike) and still like it a lot - but the new bike fever is getting stronger every month. :-)

After the new Paradox is there a chance that new Phantom and Prime models are in the pipeline?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushy41 View Post

I am on the 6th season on the first Phantom model (longest time I ever had the same bike) and still like it a lot - but the new bike fever is getting stronger every month. :-)

After the new Paradox is there a chance that new Phantom and Prime models are in the pipeline?
    I think the pipeline is at least one more year long!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rushy41 View Post

Fresh news

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/banshee-...re-frames.html

mtbr member
    Banshee has been busy. The new line-up looks very nice.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Holy sh.… was quite convinced to buy a RM Instinct in replacement of my 6 years old (yes also 6 years on the same bike) Spitfire. But then…. V3 arrived. Almost all weakness, when not all, of the V2 version has been corrected…. Difficult time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Amusingly enough the new prime geo is pretty close to what I fudged on my V2 prime by going up a size (6ft, 34" inseam on an XL), using an angle set and shoving my saddle forward.

New bikes look very, very nice, shame my Prime is only 6 months old...............

Any chance of a trade in policy Keith

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That Phantom looks like it'll be the Smuggler killer for short travel enthusiasts. If I still lived in the Bay Area I'd absolutely be on a Phantom or Prime, though my Titan suits the PNW just fine

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    That spitfire is a dream bike. Takes the giant tires I like in a fairly aggressive geo, short travel package. If I bought a frame today...

Anyone know what the long dropout chainstay length is? I'm not seeing the dropout change impact on the Geo chart.

mtbr member
    Just raw and black anodised on Prime and Phantom....they do deserve a paint job too!!!
    ...maybe next future????

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    That spitfire is a dream bike. Takes the giant tires I like in a fairly aggressive geo, short travel package. If I bought a frame today...

Anyone know what the long dropout chainstay length is? I'm not seeing the dropout change impact on the Geo chart.
    The long dropouts are shown with the 27.5” chainstay length (437/435mm). The compact dropouts are shown with the 26” chainstays.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    i wonder what would happen if i accidently put a 185x55 shock on one of those new phantoms...?

Keith must have been expecting this

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyape View Post
    i wonder what would happen if i accidently put a 185x55 shock on one of those new phantoms...?

Keith must have been expecting this
    If you are thinking about doing that, what you really should be thinking about getting a prime... in theory it would give you similar travel.

The phantom is not compatible with any shock other than 185x50mm.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Braaap

I love the green! A medium Spitfire is pictured.

FYI, 5% off ALL Banshee on our website expires tonight! Use code "leftovers"
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

FM
    mtbr member
    Yeah that green is hawt!!

...In the meantime.
    I just ordered me a large V3 Phantom frameset, to go with my V2 Prime. I'm pretty excited about getting a shorter travel ripper built up. If any of you Northern California folks happen to be in and around Sonoma County and want to check it out let me know.

mtbr member
    Post up pics of your Phantom when it gets built up. If I didn't build my Following a few months back...I'd be all over the Phantom in raw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anybody else disappointed by the lack of size small 29ers? The new Prime looks like a sweet ride, but judging by the numbers, I think I'd be inclined to size down from a medium to a small. The new 650b bikes look sweet too, but I've been leaning towards a 29er next time I replace my full suspension bike. Hopefully I can find a way to demo a couple of these bikes in the coming months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Anybody else disappointed by the lack of size small 29ers? The new Prime looks like a sweet ride, but judging by the numbers, I think I'd be inclined to size down from a medium to a small. The new 650b bikes look sweet too, but I've been leaning towards a 29er next time I replace my full suspension bike. Hopefully I can find a way to demo a couple of these bikes in the coming months.
    There were a couple of factors here for why we don't make smalls.

#1 if the medium titan is too big for you, then honestly you are best avoiding 29" rear wheel... I personally have seen several good riders have serious crashes on steep trails due to 29" wheel hitting them up the arse and sending them over the bars.

#2 Balance... the weight distribution would be getting too forward bias using a small front triangle on the titan design.

#3 Lack of demand meant we couldn't justify the cost of jigs or hit minimums.

29" wheels are not for everyone, there is an element of thinking of wheel sizes along side frame sizes, and what will work best for you overall. A good example is Danny Hart... one of the best all round riders on the planet. He went 29" after pressure from sponsors (and probably a bit because he read the marketing) and he crashed out hard multiple times and became slower. Back to 27.5" rear wheel and he was back on podiums.

An option that you might want to consider is a mullet setup on a rune...benefit from smaller rear wheel and shorter chainstay to match your height, but have a 29" wheel up front to roll through chunder more easily. (160mm fork max for this setup)
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Just out of interest: Has someone a picture of a production Spitfire V3 in size large and can post it? Large frame or complete bike please.
    All I see for now is medium size, while all other models are size large ...
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    There were a couple of factors here for why we don't make smalls.

#1 if the medium titan is too big for you, then honestly you are best avoiding 29" rear wheel... I personally have seen several good riders have serious crashes on steep trails due to 29" wheel hitting them up the arse and sending them over the bars.

#2 Balance... the weight distribution would be getting too forward bias using a small front triangle on the titan design.

#3 Lack of demand meant we couldn't justify the cost of jigs or hit minimums.

29" wheels are not for everyone, there is an element of thinking of wheel sizes along side frame sizes, and what will work best for you overall. A good example is Danny Hart... one of the best all round riders on the planet. He went 29" after pressure from sponsors (and probably a bit because he read the marketing) and he crashed out hard multiple times and became slower. Back to 27.5" rear wheel and he was back on podiums.

An option that you might want to consider is a mullet setup on a rune...benefit from smaller rear wheel and shorter chainstay to match your height, but have a 29" wheel up front to roll through chunder more easily. (160mm fork max for this setup)
    Appreciate the reply, Keith (I presume?)!

I've gone back and forth on 650b vs 29 vs mullet quite a bit. You might be right about the 29" rear wheel being too big for me, although I'm 172cm which is within the range of the medium 29ers on your size chart.

My hardtail is a 29er and I have demoed several full suspension 29ers now (Switchblade, Firebird, SB150). Initially I did have more issues hitting my butt on the rear tire, but I've found that if I'm diligent about staying centered on the bike and not riding too far off the back, then it's largely not a problem. I finally worked up the courage to ride the SB150 down couple of the steepest trails I've ridden out in Simi Valley and loved the rollover and confidence the big wheels gave me. I find the 29" front wheel makes it easier for me to trust the bike and stay in an aggressive, centered riding position when things get real steep and chunky. But you're right, though; I think I'm right at the cusp of being able to comfortably fit a mid to long travel full suspension 29er (then again, look at Isabeau Courdurier!), so there probably is some added risk of hitting my ass and going OTB hard.

Mullet bikes seem like they might be the best compromise, but unfortunately there aren't many options for those without significant geometry compromises. I believe a Rune V3 mullet would have a sub-64 deg head angle and a ~6mm higher BB even with a 150mm fork. I think I'd rather just run 650b in the front as intended on that bike. It seems to me like the 29ers would actually make better mullet bikes if you just run them in the higher BB setting and maybe use a +0.5 or +1 angleset to retain the head angle and raise the BB back up a touch more, but then I run into sizing issues.

That being said, I'm still strongly considering a size medium Rune. I love what you've done with the latest generation of these bikes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What style brake mounts do the V3's have? I might be blind but I didn't see it mentioned on the Banshee website

mtbr member
    Same dropouts as V2....so same I.S. mount

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Appreciate the reply, Keith (I presume?)!

I've gone back and forth on 650b vs 29 vs mullet quite a bit. You might be right about the 29" rear wheel being too big for me, although I'm 172cm which is within the range of the medium 29ers on your size chart.

My hardtail is a 29er and I have demoed several full suspension 29ers now (Switchblade, Firebird, SB150). Initially I did have more issues hitting my butt on the rear tire, but I've found that if I'm diligent about staying centered on the bike and not riding too far off the back, then it's largely not a problem. I finally worked up the courage to ride the SB150 down couple of the steepest trails I've ridden out in Simi Valley and loved the rollover and confidence the big wheels gave me. I find the 29" front wheel makes it easier for me to trust the bike and stay in an aggressive, centered riding position when things get real steep and chunky. But you're right, though; I think I'm right at the cusp of being able to comfortably fit a mid to long travel full suspension 29er (then again, look at Isabeau Courdurier!), so there probably is some added risk of hitting my ass and going OTB hard.

Mullet bikes seem like they might be the best compromise, but unfortunately there aren't many options for those without significant geometry compromises. I believe a Rune V3 mullet would have a sub-64 deg head angle and a ~6mm higher BB even with a 150mm fork. I think I'd rather just run 650b in the front as intended on that bike. It seems to me like the 29ers would actually make better mullet bikes if you just run them in the higher BB setting and maybe use a +0.5 or +1 angleset to retain the head angle and raise the BB back up a touch more, but then I run into sizing issues.

That being said, I'm still strongly considering a size medium Rune. I love what you've done with the latest generation of these bikes!
    I'm now confused why you are not considering a medium titan if you are looking at medium rune... in terms of fit the titan would be similar with just a bit more stack height really, which would actually help.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    deleted
    Last edited by builttoride; 2 Days Ago at 08:44 AM.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm now confused why you are not considering a medium titan if you are looking at medium rune... in terms of fit the titan would be similar with just a bit more stack height really, which would actually help.
    I'm right on the border between small and medium with your sizing, so I think I'd choose to downsize on the bigger bike or upsize on the smaller bike.

Why would my bar height change on the 29er? I assume my preferred bar height would be about the same on both bikes assuming I can get it low enough on the 29er.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you raise your bars on the Rune to match the stack height of the Titan, the reach on the Rune will shrink by ~15mm due to the angle of the head tube ((635-604)/tan(64.5) = 14.8). The chainstays on the Titan are also 15-17mm longer. That means that when I go to lift the front end for a bunny hop or lean back to roll off a slow speed drop, the Titan is going to feel 30mm longer than the Rune. That seems like a pretty significant difference to me especially when combined with the increased BB drop and heavier front wheel of the 29er.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Having demoed an SB150, though, I know that bike did feel a little longer than I would prefer, and the Titan is even longer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, this is true if you plan to raise the bars on your rune significantly.

Regarding chainstay length and BB drop, yes of course they have an effect on how easy the bike is to pull up, but weird thing is that it doesn't seem as apparent when on the trail (at least to me). I expected to really notice it when switching from my spitfire, but didn't really. I felt the lean required for cornering was far more noticeable,and that's mainly down to 29" wheels. Ultimately I got used to it very quickly and felt right at home despite this being first 29er I have personally owned.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yes, this is true if you plan to raise the bars on your rune significantly.

Regarding chainstay length and BB drop, yes of course they have an effect on how easy the bike is to pull up, but weird thing is that it doesn't seem as apparent when on the trail (at least to me). I expected to really notice it when switching from my spitfire, but didn't really. I felt the lean required for cornering was far more noticeable,and that's mainly down to 29" wheels. Ultimately I got used to it very quickly and felt right at home despite this being first 29er I have personally owned.
    Yeah, I definitely noticed that lean difference and got used to it pretty quickly like you. Now I think I might actually prefer the feel of the bigger wheels in that regard.

But I do find that I'm pretty sensitive to long wheelbases and the affect that has on my ability to lift the front end. That's probably at least partially due to what I'm used to, since my primary bike for the past 3 years is super playful. But I'm also a relatively short and light guy (172cm, 62kg), which I suspect makes it more difficult for me to get enough weight behind the rear axle. I've evolved a lot as a rider since I bought my current bike and want to get on something more stable, but I worry that a medium Titan or Prime is a little too big of a jump for me right now. Maybe it's something I would eventually adjust to, who knows.

In any case, I understand why you guys aren't making size small 29ers and don't blame you guys at all. I'm just picky when it comes to bikes. And quite a few other things for that matter, but we don't need to get into my personal issues