V1 Spitfire, is it really that bad?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

V1 Spitfire, is it really that bad?

A lot of complaints around about v1 spitfires, but are they really that bad? Can someone give me an honest opinion? Are these just whiners, or is this frame a flop? And does anyone have any experience with the axle upgrade kit, did that fix the issues? Reposted from 26er forum at suggestion from another member

Nucking Futs
    In my honest opinion, it's hit or miss. I've been riding the hell out of my v1 and am loving every ride! It just shreds. The thing is, like a few other frame's i've owned Banshee's fabricators seems to have a bit of difficulty to get tollerances/ allignment within margin. The upper left rocker of my spitty is off by 2 - 3 mm and when mounted puts the whole rear end under tension. This causes the bushings to wear uneavenly and causes allot of extra maintainence. I've replaced the bushings once and made shims from the old ones and it's fine ever since, and really I don't take it appart too often. The original axles might be worn now but that would be an easy fix, the frame itself is solid as a rock.

So in short, if you can get a v1 for cheap with a new keronite axle kit and fresh bushings (the bushings are a common size so they should be easy to source even in 10 years) I really know of no reason why you shouldn't. People and the industry put waaaaay to much weight on model years. Just cause it's from 2011 doesn't mean it won't work. But do check the updates it's v3 version has, it's sitting on my couch waiting to be build up and man this frame is sexy! The quality has gone up a few notches, can't say anything about allignment yet didn't have time to strip the rear end. But it looks and feels dialed, really smooth suspension movement. And lets not forget, the quality of suspension components are also improving fast, no reason to stay behind 5 years the difference is huge. If you can manage to save up get a v3.
    Amplify Your Žide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for the breakdown, Sneeck! My tentative plan is to build up a v1 and save up for a v3 How did you discover your rocker was off, can you point me in the right direction of figuring this out when i see it?

Nucking Futs
    No problem! That would be a good strategy. I heard from others of the bushing problems, creating all sorts of play. After one year of riding there was some minor play so during the winter stripped it down and tried to mcgyver a solution as best as possible. It's working beautifully, allthough i've got a v3 I could get some more milage out of this thing by swapping everything out. I might do that and sell the frame to a buddy who is on a budget, personally I am in love with the newer suspension linkage and geo.

In my pinkbike album you can find a few (terrible) pictures of this problem
    All Photo Album - Page 7 - Pinkbike
    Amplify Your Žide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Holy crap, is this what youre talking about?

me soon at bedroom in Detva, Slovakia - photo by sneeck - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Have a 2012 that's had the piss ridden out of it. No bike parks, but it's ridden on intermediate to advanced New England trails regularly. It regularly sees 2-3 foot drops and jumps. Frame and pivots are excellent, little wear on the axles starting to show but I can replace those if it starts eating the bushings up. The rear axle is still tight as a drun. I rip the bike apart twice a year. Bike has had a few good crashes, it's bomb proof.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery