mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Talk me into this Banshee Spitfire

Buying my first full suspension bike and was looking at only Transition and Santa Crus as that is what all my HTs have been. Was about ready to pull the trigger on this Transition Scout

https://www.evo.com/mountain/transit...-complete-bike

Or this one....year older (older geo) but better components.

https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/...17-red-rum.jpg

THEN this thing pops up. Seems like a helluva deal for its components but dont know much about Banshee.....heard the Rune forever but thats more bike than I need. Sell this to me.
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Banshee-Sp...Jenson-V2-Bike

mtbr member
    well man..... great bike at a great price!!!!!....you're loosing precious time!!!! gooo get it!!!
    I mean Spitfire of course.... but I also like giddy up Scout.

mtbr member
    What's there you need convincing about, seriously? The Spitty has Eagle 12spd GX over NX 11spd on the Scout, SLX brakes on the Spitty vs LevelT on the Scout, Monarch PLUS on the Spitty vs Deluxe on the Scout......could go on and on about the parts spec. Basically just for the parts alone the Spitty is the better deal at the exact same price, plus to me, I prefer the Spitty's geo over the Scout, just be aware that if you were looking at a Medium Scout, to get the same size you'd need a Large Spitty.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Large Scout

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Id ride a Large on the Scout. Im 5'11 and 34" inseam. Aveage built guy.....nothing out of proportion I dont think.

So Id need an XL spitfire? Compare the other linked Scout....not the NX. The other link is a GX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen1978 View Post
    Id ride a Large on the Scout. Im 5'11 and 34" inseam. Aveage built guy.....nothing out of proportion I dont think.

So Id need an XL spitfire?
    at 5'11"an L will be spot on!!

mtbr member
    If you're comparing the older Scout to the Spitty, then no, basically exact same size, so Large in either - 455mm vs 457mm reach. Basically as far as the geo goes, it's a wash, parts as well, except I prefer the shock and brakes on the Spitty.Also prefer the looks of the Spitty and I know that the KS Link pedals really well and feels great going down.

So Id need an XL spitfire? Compare the other linked Scout....not the NX. The other link is a GX
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok, cool. Ill admit Im a bit of a Transition fanboi but Im kinda liking this Spitfire as well. Small boutiquish shop like Transition so I like that as well.

I like the brakes better as well. Wish it was all SLX drivetrain to be honest. I dig the color and the price. How about frames cracking? Seems Ive read of several.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    All frames crack. Register your frame and you will be covered. I wouldn't have any worries about a Banshee cracking. The latest version has been in rotation for 2 seasons and I haven't seen any reports as of yet. I have a 2017 Rune and a 2018 Prime - i never think twice about my bikes exploding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Gotcha. Any more stoke on the Spitfire feel free to throw it out there.

mtbr member
    I can tell you'll have hard time finding a reason to regret the purchase...unless you find yourself better on a 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Never ridden a 29er. Just look like there too big. Ive tried to get myself to try one but it was hard enough leaving a 26 to go 27.5.

mtbr member
    Never ridden a 29er. Just look like there too big. Ive tried to get myself to try one but it was hard enough leaving a 26 to go 27.5.
    I could never step back!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    From 29er to 275er or 275er to 26er?

mtbr member
    At 6’2” and long inseam any smaller is a nonsense for me. .....I actually ride a 30er at 29x2.6.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not to me, 6'2" aswell and own a spitfire and a prime. I like the spitfire more. Not that I don't like the prime, but if I could only keep 1 of the 2 I'd keep the spirfire. Even at my size it's much easier to throw around.

mtbr member
    I got to demo a Ibis Ripmo, Ripley, and Santa Cruz 5010 a few months back. I really didn't feel like I was missing all that much when I got back on my Spitfire. If they did feel all that compared to the Spitfire...I would have bought one of them. I was hot to trot to buy a new bike at the time...not so much after the demo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk me into this Banshee Spitfire-img_0449.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Do youself a favor and go testride a 29er,hopfully a Prime.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Gotcha. Any more stoke on the Spitfire feel free to throw it out there.
    Most fun bike I have ever ridden. The Spitfire corners like a dream. It pops, it jumps super well, it is possible to find yourself undergunned on the thing but you are really seeking out the gnar by that point. I loved mine. Went Prime after I cracked a pair of 2015-2016 Spitfire frames. I ride in a pretty disgusting place (Pisgah, NC) and charge so cracking a trail bike isn't a big deal.

The Prime (and Rune) is built with burlier tubing and I don't think twice about my frame integrity. Banshee was more than awesome during both warranties (well, full warranty on 1st, fantastic 2wk report to deliver crash replacement on 2nd). While I have been one of these jackwagons on the board hounding for a in triangle water bottle mount for several years, I still love the bikes. Well designed, well thought out, a fantastic company. If you think Transition is boutique and like that about them you will be more than surprised by Banshee. Such a small shop. A few thousand frames a year.

I have worked on mine a ton, building from frame on 3 frames now. On one of the three I had to have the BB chased upon initial build. You have to watch out for the rear pivot bolts, if you live somewhere wet, pull them every 3-4 months and regrease. No it's no ideal, but you sohuld do it or you'll end up in a bad spot...seized bolts suck. And this is minorly inconvenienced by the fact that to access one of the bolts you need to remove the cranks.

Now all that said, if I were buying a new bike today, would it be a Banshee? Honestly not sure. I've ridden a Ripmo and am always trying new bikes and I'd shop around all the same. Blind brand loyalty isn't a thing for me. I like what I like. If it's your brand, then great, you have my business. I am very keen to see the new hardtail Banshee has eluded to on this board. Hopeful before Spring. I could very easily see myself building one of these in the fall. If it has in-triangle water bottle mounts

Good luck man let us know what you decide. If your goal is hooning and having a ball on a bike, you seriously cannot go wrong with the Spitfire.

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Im 6', riding a Large Spitfire, fits me quite well. I have no regrets with this frame, Its versatile, capable and handles like a friggin dream.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Still up in the air. Got introduced to the Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg. My LBS has a nice demo with Eagle drivetrain and MRP Ribbon fork for $2720. Or can get this raw one from Jenson for same price.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Banshee-Sp...le-Jenson-Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Still up in the air. Got introduced to the Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg. My LBS has a nice demo with Eagle drivetrain and MRP Ribbon fork for $2720. Or can get this raw one from Jenson for same price.

The GX spitfire has a decent part spec. I would ask about the warranty/crash replacement policy for demo sales. It is a toss up at that point.

mtbr member

I'm still riding my 2013 Spitfire, it's such a great bike there is little reason to look for anything else. However the new GG Shred Dogg is one of the few frames I would consider as a replacement. The Banshee Jenson deals are hard to beat in the bang for your buck category, that's how I ended up with my Darkside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thats where Im at. Spitfire has an awesome parts list with 1x12 GX Eagle and Pike. The GG MegaTrail local is GX with 1x11 and MRP Ribbon fork and questionable SRAM brakes.

mtbr member
    Glen 1978, where do you live/ride?

I own a large 2015 Banshee Phantom and a medium 2018 Shred Dogg.

I am 5’10”, 175 lbs in riding gear.

The Phantom is a 29er so it is a different ride than the 27.5 Spitfire. Banshee’s build quality is really good, and the geometry is modern/ fantastic. The big wheels are super fast, the short travel suspension rewards best line choice and sharp focus on the trail. I like the Phantom a lot, in fact it is my ride of choice for the 2019 BCBR. I am not sure I would like it as much with 27.5 wheels. I have a build thread in this forum on this bike.

The Shred Dogg is amazing. Super versatile, descends well, climbs well, monsters over everything, and makes me feel like a hero. In 30 seconds I can change the rear suspension travel by 10mm and the HA by about 1 degree. I also like that it is handmade and AL. I think the AL frame is the one to have (GG recently converted their frame construct to all CF so AL frames are a thing of the past).

Tough choice you have there. I think I would lean to the Shred Dogg.

Banshee: 2015 Phantom-L

Guerrilla Gravity: Shred Dogg-M

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88R View Post
    Glen 1978, where do you live/ride?

I own a large 2015 Banshee Phantom and a medium 2018 Shred Dogg.

I am 5’10”, 175 lbs in riding gear.

The Phantom is a 29er so it is a different ride than the 27.5 Spitfire. Banshee’s build quality is really good, and the geometry is modern/ fantastic. The big wheels are super fast, the short travel suspension rewards best line choice and sharp focus on the trail. I like the Phantom a lot, in fact it is my ride of choice for the 2019 BCBR. I am not sure I would like it as much with 27.5 wheels. I have a build thread in this forum on this bike.

The Shred Dogg is amazing. Super versatile, descends well, climbs well, monsters over everything, and makes me feel like a hero. In 30 seconds I can change the rear suspension travel by 10mm and the HA by about 1 degree. I also like that it is handmade and AL. I think the AL frame is the one to have (GG recently converted their frame construct to all CF so AL frames are a thing of the past).

Tough choice you have there. I think I would lean to the Shred Dogg.
    I live in Buena Vista, CO. I had totally planned to go SD with the alum frame. But now since they went carbin there build kits have gotten out of my price range. My LBS has a 2018 Megatrail demo with GX build (not Eagle so 11 speed), MRP Ribbon fork and normal low $$ GG build. Its in pretty good shape I can grab it for $2700 OTD. He said he would convert to Shred Dogg or leave it MT for same price....my call.

I keep looking at that Jenson Spitfire because I like the components.....not so much the bike....if that were on a GG Shred Dogg or Transistion Scout Id buy it. Evo has the 2017 (old geo) GX Eagle build for $2799. Found some new
    2018 (new geo) Scout NX for like $2400 and then a used 2017 carbon Scout with Fox 36, Hope cranks, decked out for $2800. It is used. Too much shit to decide.

I should go buy a Shred Dogg frame and build it how I want. Would cost more but seem cheaper as Ita not all in one lump sum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Still up in the air. Got introduced to the Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg. My LBS has a nice demo with Eagle drivetrain and MRP Ribbon fork for $2720.
    What LBS? Do they have any smalls?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No smalls. Only the one medium.