Swap Spitfire for Prime, pros/cons- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Swap Spitfire for Prime/Phantom, pros/cons

Hi,

Mainly internet cycling and a bit hung up on 29:ers at the moment.
    I'm 6.5 with inseam of 38"

Apart from bigger wheels I will get higher Stack, what more in terms of pros/cons?
    Last edited by CastorTroll; 12-27-2016 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow at 6'5" I bet you'll really enjoy a 29er in regards to bigger wheels for taller people affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Wow at 6'5" I bet you'll really enjoy a 29er in regards to bigger wheels for taller people affect.
    Agreed! My 6'4" buddy went from a XXL 26" bike to an XL 29er and it completely transformed his riding for the better. I've been on the Spitfire a few times and really enjoyed the ride, but I'm seriously looking at the Prime. I see what a difference the bigger wheels make on rougher terrain, especially compared to my current ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Are you looking for "more bike" as well? My understanding from some of Keith's posts is that Spitty/Phantom and Rune/Prime. Those are the cross-wheel-sized combos. Have you considered the Phantom?

mtbr member
    I can't tell you honestly, because when I made the switch to a 29er almost 9 years ago, I just never looked back, bike finally felt "built for me", as my friend said, if my bike was sized up proportionately to fit you, that is what it'd look like - he's 5'9" I'm 6'2". FYI, I'm not really someone who likes to get a lot of air, not very comfortable in the air, off drops not so bad, but jumps wig me out, so wheels planted mainly, but love steep, rocky, technical stuff, the slower the better, never found a 29er limiting in these instances and definitely at speed, they inspire confidence.

As Lithfield said, it's more Prime/Rune, Phantom/Spitty if you're looking 29er vs 26"/650B, although can easily see the thoughts of a Prime compared to Spitty when just looking at the travel, but the Prime is definitely a "big bike" than can monster truck over/through stuff like nobodies business, Phantom is definitely more agile, but don't let that measly 105mm of rear travel fool you, it can handle a lot, just requires a bit more rider input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Good input, thanks.
    And no, not really considered Phantom, looked at travel and angles and ended up with Prime as Spittys 29 match.
    I like my Spitty, a lot, but am curious about 29:ears, seems like everyone is riding them, and me with my 6.5" is running 26".....
    To bad there are, to my knowledge, no dealers in Sweden that has bikes for test, one good reason for a trip abroad 😀

FM
    mtbr member
    I went the opposite way- from a Prime, to a Spitfire, then a Rune.
    I have to say, for a "one bike"- the spitfire was my favorite. With a burly build it can handle real DH, it jumps and corners great, playful and quick.

I'm 175cm however. At your height I'd think you'll be very happy with the bigger wheels.

I'd definitely look at the phantom too though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroll View Post
    Hi,

Mainly internet cycling and a bit hung up on 29:ers at the moment.
    I'm 6.5 with inseam of 38"

Apart from bigger wheels I will get higher Stack, what more in terms of pros/cons?
    check out the new bike co., Dirtysixer. they specialize in "36" wheels! frames are made by Ventana, so quality is second to nobody. aluminum only. limited options, but maybe worth a look
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi again,

Since Banshee is hard to find, for demo, in Sweden, what do you consider Phantom/Prime to compare with in other brands?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi again,

Since Banshee is hard to find, for demo, in Sweden, what do you consider Phantom/Prime to compare with in other brands?
    Phantom = Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ok, so the Phantom is the large wheel Spitfire, if I get it right.
    But what will I gain apart from bigger wheels?
    Is it worth the effort and money to go from a 26" Spitty to a 29" Phantom?

mtbr member
    If you already have a Spitfire I'd consider borrowing a set of 650B wheels/tyres and see what that does for it and if you like it. Spitfire is a perfectly good bike already, you may just want the extra bit of roll over the 650B will give you, could even try some 650B+.
    While I love 29ers, I do not believe that the bigger wheels replace suspension in the true sense when needed landing jumps/drops, but do make it seems like they do on the rougher parts of the trail where smaller wheels would get hung up, so if you regularly like to do jumps/drops over 4ft, I'd prob stick to more travel.

Ok, so the Phantom is the large wheel Spitfire, if I get it right.
    But what will I gain apart from bigger wheels?
    Is it worth the effort and money to go from a 26" Spitty to a 29" Phantom?
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If you already have a Spitfire I'd consider borrowing a set of 650B wheels/tyres and see what that does for it and if you like it. Spitfire is a perfectly good bike already, you may just want the extra bit of roll over the 650B will give you, could even try some 650B+.
    While I love 29ers, I do not believe that the bigger wheels replace suspension in the true sense when needed landing jumps/drops, but do make it seems like they do on the rougher parts of the trail where smaller wheels would get hung up, so if you regularly like to do jumps/drops over 4ft, I'd prob stick to more travel.
    Yes, I've been considering this as well, need a new fork thou, that has been holding me back a bit. But I will think about it again, it will give me some extra bb-height and somewhat bigger wheels, but also longer chainstay as will a 29:er.

mtbr member
    Pity you didn't get a 26"/650B compatible fork when you built your Spitty like the Fox F36, X-Fusion Sweep. You could check and see what the lowers only would cost for your current fork and just do a lowers swap with travel limiter to save some $$, unless of course you really want a new fork.

Yes, I've been considering this as well, need a new fork thou, that has been holding me back a bit. But I will think about it again, it will give me some extra bb-height and somewhat bigger wheels, but also longer chainstay as will a 29:er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I got a very good deal on a Pike and had two sets of wheel in 26", so 26 it was.
    Although there is some money left in the fork and I can rebuild one pair of wheels, I'll give it a count.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I went the opposite way- from a Prime, to a Spitfire, then a Rune.
    I have to say, for a "one bike"- the spitfire was my favorite. With a burly build it can handle real DH, it jumps and corners great, playful and quick.

I'm 175cm however. At your height I'd think you'll be very happy with the bigger wheels.

I'd definitely look at the phantom too though.
    I'm with you, even at 26", The Spitfire with the right build can do a little bit of everything and get rowdy doing so.

Wanna send it warp speed into that uphill rock garden that makes the locals cry? Got that covered.

Want to completely clear that set of doubles all your bro's are scared of? Got that at half the speed.

Do you not use brakes? Do you like fun and jumps? The faster it goes, the more serious it gets.

If that sounds like a bad time, get a 29'er

In all seriousness though, riding is a lot like skiing and bikes really are a lot like skis. Everything is going to be good at different things and really shine in different situations. It does really feel good when your gears personality matches yours. Finding that isn't always easy though.

Try as much as you can before you pull the trigger.
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    I'm with you, even at 26", The Spitfire with the right build can do a little bit of everything and get rowdy doing so.

Wanna send it warp speed into that uphill rock garden that makes the locals cry? Got that covered.

Want to completely clear that set of doubles all your bro's are scared of? Got that at half the speed.

Do you not use brakes? Do you like fun and jumps? The faster it goes, the more serious it gets.

If that sounds like a bad time, get a 29'er

In all seriousness though, riding is a lot like skiing and bikes really are a lot like skis. Everything is going to be good at different things and really shine in different situations. It does really feel good when your gears personality matches yours. Finding that isn't always easy though.

Try as much as you can before you pull the trigger.
    This post is spot on. Spitty is a versatile machine, absolutely.

At your height OP, it def makes sense to consider a 29 option. Banshees are tough to test ride no doubt, and I think the Spit is a "safer" option for you if you're worried about it that much, feel like rolling the dice a little? Get a Prime, give it a all mountain style build and rip. Either way you go you're going to have a killer rig.

Edit: Don't forget photos and a ride report when you have something built up!!! Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post

At your height OP, it def makes sense to consider a 29 option. Banshees are tough to test ride no doubt, and I think the Spit is a "safer" option for you if you're worried about it that much, feel like rolling the dice a little? Get a Prime, give it a all mountain style build and rip. Either way you go you're going to have a killer rig.

Edit: Don't forget photos and a ride report when you have something built up!!! Good luck.
    Hi,

It might got lost in the thread, but I do have a Spitty, 26-inch-rigged, and it is great, soon to be with a CCDB Air instead of a Inline that broke down, twice....
    But as I first wrote I got a bit caught up in the 29:er hype ;-).
    Somewhat back looking at going 27,5, this to gain bb height and larger wheels, and the possibility to run in slack setting again.

mtbr member
    It's not hype, have not touched a smaller wheeled bike since '08

Bit of a thought for you on when you build your wheels...I'd stick to something in the 30mm IW range so you have versatility to be able to run regular 650B tyres or give the new B+ tyres a go. Ideal width for PLUS IMHO is 35mm>, but 30mm would work as well with some 2.8"s.

... as I first wrote I got a bit caught up in the 29:er hype ;-).
    Somewhat back looking at going 27,5, this to gain bb height and larger wheels, and the possibility to run in slack setting again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post

If I were to go 29, I'd definitely want 27.5+ compatability, which I believe the new Primes are, if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't spent a lot of time on 29" as I find them sluggish for my size in corners and only one person in the crew that rides one doesnt ho it out, but 27.5+ is an absolute hoot to ride.
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    If I were to go 29, I'd definitely want 27.5+ compatability, which I believe the new Primes are, if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't spent a lot of time on 29" as I find them sluggish for my size in corners and only one person in the crew that rides one doesnt ho it out, but 27.5+ is an absolute hoot to ride.
    Thanks for the input.
    What do you and the crew ride then, if Banshee?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.
    What do you and the crew ride then, if Banshee?
    Oh god total mixed bag of shenanigans. I won't get into jumping or park bikes but everyone's everyday trail rigs go something like this:

I'm on a med 2012 spitfire
    and the boys have:
    2013 Specialized Enduro 26
    2016 Specialized Carbon Enduro 29
    Custom Wraith Steel hard-tail 27.5
    2014 Yeti Sb whatever the ****
    Kona Chameleon SS HT
    Kona King Kikapu(sp?)
    Haro Shift 27.5+
    2015 Trek Fuel ex7 27.5
    2014ish Specialized pitch

There's an 08ish FSR and 12 Reign that are village ho bikes.
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Hi again,

Where are you in Sweden? If you're near Stockholm, Velotek in Uppsala is a Banshee dealer, and when I went they had a few demo bikes.

They are a good shop - they did an overhaul on a RIP9 of mine and it was very well done. They also took a lot of time to talk to me about a Prime.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Where are you in Sweden? If you're near Stockholm, Velotek in Uppsala is a Banshee dealer, and when I went they had a few demo bikes.

They are a good shop - they did an overhaul on a RIP9 of mine and it was very well done. They also took a lot of time to talk to me about a Prime.
    Yes, I know about them, but they are some 450 km away, but thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Yeah, but don't you guys have an excellent train network? If it were me and I had this opportunity I'd make a day of it and take the train in and go get some hands on and talk to the people at the shop, heck take your Spitty and they may be cool enough to do some parts swapping for you to try 650B.

Yes, I know about them, but they are some 450 km away, but thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi all,
    I went with 27,5/650B.
    Found a used Pike RCT3 150 and a good pair of wheels with dt 240s hubs
    Ordered dropouts and some tires.
    Most likely I will have all by next weekend :-D
    Still waiting for replacement rear shock thou, CC will replace my Inline but it takes a lot of time, added some money so the replacement will be a Air instead, hope it will be more reliable. In the meantime I have a Monarch R HV on, not as good but enables me to ride at all

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good plan, know that in a pinch you can still run 650B in the regular 26" drop outs, just in case the other stuff gets there before the drop outs Once you get the 650B drop outs, you could even give the some bigger B+ tyres a go, which would take the diameter up very close to 29".